Elven unit

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

:shock: Wow that is a realy good pic. Definatly better than the other two. I hope Dave puts it in before the 5.2 release.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

James,

Nice looking unit, I have added it to CVS.

On a side note: we are looking for a 'graphics administrator' -- someone to manage who is doing which graphics, and is responsible for approving graphics and adding them to the game. Anyone who is interested, please let me know.

Oh, and, I recently actually got to use an Elvish Shyde while playing -- very nice unit :)

David
Circon

Post by Circon »

Let me repost from another thread:
Circon wrote:Some feedback: I promoted an Elven Druid recently, and...
Bad. Bad, bad, bad game. Naughty game.
Do not mix the elves with the elfs.

The Shyde (Sidhe) is from the ancient Gaelic "Daoine Sidhe" or Shakespeare elfs. (Book: Faerie Tale)
The Elven Warrior, Archer et al with the bonuses in trees and woodland are LOTR or "modern" elves. (Book: LOTR.)
I'd guess everybody has heard about the LOTR elves. This is where the idea of "better in forest" springs from. The other, "old" type doesn't live in trees at all, but in a "Court", divided into Seelie and Unseelie (or: chaotic guys and really evil guys). It was normally located under a hill.

Oh, and I would prefer the new graphics for the "Whatsitsname" Elven Flying Florence Nightingale.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Are there any requirements for this 'graphics administrator' position?
miyo

Post by miyo »

* Graphics for game are accepted by Dave and fmunoz, graphics administrator is just their slave... ermm... I mean assistant, as you are proven worthy and trustworthable you will gain more independency
* Coordinating graphics work (e.g. writing list of graphics 'needed' and 'under work' at wiki and keeping that list up to date)
* Commiting yourself for keeping the good quality we currently have
* Understanding IIRWIIR - It Is Ready When It Is Ready
* Having patience with all the wannabe contributors
* Having time for the job

- Miyo, WRM [1], WSA [2], WICA [3], WDSA [4], WFUW [5] or simply WGPA [6], also senior member of WPTB [7] and WDB [8]

[1] Wesnoth Release Manager
[2] Wesnoth Savannah Administrator
[3] Wesnoth IRC Channel Administrator
[4] Wesnoth DevServ Administrator
[5] Wesnoth Forum Ultimate Whiner
[6] Wesnoth General Purpose Administrator
[7] Wesnoth PlayTesting Board
[8] Wesnoth Design Board
James Paige

Art Directorship

Post by James Paige »

I am unable to volunteer for the art position (too many projects of my own right now) but I think having someone in charge of organizing art is a great idea. I am interested in helping out here and there with filling in missing animation frames for existing units that lack them, and it will be nice to have somebody in charge and keeping track of who is working on what, so work is not duplicated.

Who has drawn all the existing units? (or would I have to dig through a cvs log to figure that out myself?)
miyo

Re: Art Directorship

Post by miyo »

James Paige wrote: I am interested in helping out here and there with filling in missing animation frames for existing units that lack them,
It would be most appreciated if you could help with missing animation frames... http://www.ventu.info/wesnoth/?UnitAnimationsAndSounds - though it is not quite up to date with CVS it gives direction... first check that list the check that unit config-files/images.
James Paige wrote: and it will be nice to have somebody in charge and keeping track of who is working on what, so work is not duplicated.
That is what we are looking for.
James Paige wrote: Who has drawn all the existing units? (or would I have to dig through a cvs log to figure that out myself?)
fmunoz. If I remember correctly most of unit graphics were done before CVS was taken in use so logs might not reveal much.

- Miyo