Better Scaling Algorithm

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Better Scaling Algorithm

Post by Dave »

I was wondering, how interested would people be in a better scaling algorithm so that zooming in and out looks better?

I had a go at implementing a better one, and it was very slow, and looked blurry normally, but looks good when zoomed out.

Below are images before and after when the game is zoomed out. Would there be much interest in me implementing this properly?

Normal:

With better scaling:

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

I usually zoom out few bits when playing the game. Though now that we have configurable resolution (CVS) there has not been so much need for zooming.

I can't really say if it looks better or not. Would have to test it in-game - how about after 0.4.8 is released?

- Miyo
Sithrandel

Zooming

Post by Sithrandel »

Hello,

I do tend to zoom out (old monitor not up to huge resolutions). So the idea of an option on which to use would be great. If the code is straightforwardsd and takes similar arguements is there a reason we can't have a choice or would that be too complex?

Thanks

Sithrandel
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

It wouldn't likely be an option - it'd more likely be a compromise between the two, or something automatic where after a certain amount of zooming out, the different algorithm kicks in.

David
Sithrandel

Zooming

Post by Sithrandel »

Fair enough... I'm sure whatever you choose will be a good option :D

I think it is a very nice UI touch but less critical to the other gameplay enhancements on your list ;-) as I had never noticed a problem until I saw the improved version!

Thanks

Sithrandel