Therian faction --- EoM

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Boucman wrote:anybody tried to draw a world map yet ?
Yes. (Although the paper was too small, so I accidentally left out the eastern deserts...)

I just haven't posted it, because it's so bad. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I thought that the Akladians came from the east (or that is what the campaign says), and I read on the site (somewhere) that the Aragwaith lived on green island as survivors from the people the wesnoth humans used to be, who developed a deep religious belief and became mighty warriors who then invaded wesnoth and won. although I have never seen a campaign to this effect.

If you mean the kedri from under the burning suns, then they lived in the remains of wesnoth thousands of years after it fell. And in the eastern invasion the east is a big marsh that is undead territory.

BTW in my new campaign (invasion of Arendia) there is a new country (Arendia) which I am thinking is mady on a different continent, or maby a island. Any ideas where it could fit?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

There are no Kedari in UtBS. I mean the Kedari, as in, the Turkish-Arab based people who so far have not been released yet. Do a search if you don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm the guy who made EI. The idea that the Eastern Lands are a swampland is an (unfortunately common) error. The Eastern Lands are a desert, that the Kedari live in (although they're not mentioned in EI at all). Mal-Ravanal transformed it into a swamp (his trademark), but it was a temporary effect.

Depending on what the geography and culture of Arendia are, Arendia might fit in on the Old Continent... can you give some more info (although not necessarily in this thread)?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

The geog of North Arendia is in the campaign at the start of one of the first scenarios, it looks like this.

after the forest in the east there is a desert, a mountain range then the sea (from where they can reach Wesnoth, although I haven't decided where in wesnoth yet)

It is a bit out of scale but the general idea is the orcs live further north along with the undead, and the rest of Arendia is to the south.

on thinking about it your suggestion about the old continent is good because it could be south of the westfolks original home. then Reth and his people could stop off on the way to wesnoth on the green isle and meet the aragwaith (if my earlier bit was right, someone please tell me if it was).
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The Aragwaithi are very undefined. They are only mentioned in A New Order, a campaign I have yet to play.

I'll be creating a preliminary world map soon.... once I do, you can specify exactly where you want Arendia to go. basically, it's first-come-first-serve right now - you you claim an area on the map, no one else can contradict what you say.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

If you're going to make it look like mine, which is what is used on the title screen of wesnoth, then you should download Wercator, it attaches to GIMP (you need the gimp Perl module) and you put in a WML map you have made on the editor and after about ten to fifteen muinits you have your map.

Or you can just use the website by uploading it on this page
http://gs295.sp.cs.cmu.edu/brennan/wercator/

you can also download it from a link on a page linked to that page
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yeah, I know all that. (I've been here for two years. I observed the creation of Wercator). The problem is getting a decent Wesnoth map. So far, I've created the Green Isle using the Wesnoth map editor. Next I'll do the old continent (which will be easy, since there's very little data on it.) Then morogor, then the great continent.

"Old Continent"... "Great Ocean"... "Great River"... "Great Continent... we really need better names for our geographical features. ;)
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Your lucky then, Before I found out about it I wasted about five hours trying to make my own, (and failing), this is mostly because I've only been here eight days (newbie)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I think that arendia should be where I said earlier (on the old continent), so with the great ocean to the east and the westfolks home to the north, I will do some kind of map and send it to you or post it here soon, then you can use that as a basis for that part of the world in your map.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I think we should be cautious about mapping out the world too fully. It's always good to have 'mysterious regions' of the world available for people to set new campaigns ("On an island far from Wesnoth...").
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

you could still have this becasue the intention of this map would be to map out the parts which are definately known and described, but there is still room around the edges, or you could put it in the middle, a map made by wercator could easily be updated
Dark Helmet

Post by Dark Helmet »

I thought that during the whole daytime length debate it was agreed that Wesnoth was not the size of Earth. Or something. Anyway I agree that a world map is not something that is needed. There should always be room for expasnion campaigns.
Oh, and theres also the Mermen island system, though I'm not sure where in the world it's supposed to be.
Freedom is the ability to say one plus one equals two. When that occurs, all else follows.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

good point, I thought that was near the south of Wesnoth, although if anyone knows better please tell me.
JW

Post by JW »

I was wondering if I could have my thread back. 8)

ANyway, it seems to me that the WoW isn't very well mapped out except for what's on the wiki.

Expect me to post more on my faction and the WoW more this next week.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I'm going to make a new thread for making a map of wesnoth, anyone wishing to discuss that post there (this is supposed to be a thread about JW's new faction)