New amazon faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Thought about a Berserk amazon unit, and even initially made one, but it seemed a little strange and for me it doesn't realy match to their fighting style.
Northerners are supposed to be very agressive too, but that doesn't give them a berserker unit.

About the usage of the horses, the english Wikipedia suprisinglly doesn't tell about this (but the French Wikipedia page do) while other page (see links from Wikipedia, this one talk a lot about them) do tell about their usage of the horses, they even had a horse godness, with was later shared with the Celts and called by them Epona.

About their civilisation they were a little colser to the Scythes rather than the Greeks.

About their breast removal there are varoius theory. Some people say it , some other people just say they didn't and it is a misinterpretation of the Amazon ethymology.
Cutting a brest may help for some task, but for the bow it would be in fact not really useful.
Well for our concern, it doesn't really matter :)

Btw before reading all this stuff, i was a litte confused between the amazons and the amazonians..
This explain their water+forest oriented movetype, and the poisoned arrow archer line.
Since it is wesnothian amazons, so we can allow a little fantasy and that i don't really see what movetype they should have, i didn't changed this.

However i have made a lot of changes since yesterday :
- decreased the cavalries defense to 50% in hills and forest
- more formally defined the armors
- changed all the HP of the units so they are close to their loyalist equivalents
- branched the Warrior line as an alternative advancement from the Fighter
- toned down a bit the archers
I have a working era with all the units.
Since i have no pictures and i dislike invisible units, i uses sprites from other exisiting units, which is not really accurate in most cases.
For those that want to see how it liiooks like, here it is : http://bluebloup.free.fr/wesnoth/Amazons.zip

Well i don't consider this well balanced yet, at least :
- i gave too much HP to the Hoplites
- i still find those archers overpowered
- i havent tried to balance the unit costs yet
Also some units could have better names.
Marge Simpson

Post by Marge Simpson »

Seems good!

But the images are some work...
Who does it????????? :?
I´m a Wesnoth unit!!!:D

But I don´t want to be an ancient lich :(
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

You all do realize the Amazons are basicly myth, right? They might be highly distorted echo of Scythians, or some other anchient people, but the main point is that they fight in interesting ways with our current factions, not that the accurately reflect "true" Amazonian culture.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Image - wise... you could rope in Neorice (although he's been roped in on about 5 already).

I am willing to help... but I can't create, I can only edit and convert.
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Temuchin Khan

Re: New amazon faction

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Noyga wrote:The amazon are a fierce women warrior nation from the border of the world.
I've speculated once or twice about what an Amazon faction might be like. Can we portray them with their right breasts seared off, like in the ancient Greek legends? We'd be the only game I know of with authentic Amazons!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

From what I recall of Amazons, we were reading Herodotus in Greek class abut them, they were good archers and good on horseback, and although warlike, got trounced by both Greeks and Scythians in arm to arm combat.
I would give them (if you haven't given up the idea and become depressed :wink: ) a relatively strong cavalry, weaker fighters, but with skirmish, (with one branch that doesn't), and average archers with weaker than elves but just as many shots (in my mind, the only advantage of severing a breast would be it doesn't impede in drawing back the hand.
About it already being done: If you have a classical faction, it needs enemies, right, and having enemies as an amazon race would make for more intersting scenarios.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Re: New amazon faction

Post by Kestenvarn »

Temuchin Khan wrote:We'd be the only game I know of with authentic Amazons!
Except not?

I think folks are getting a little too focused on the name and confusing Greek myth - with details people can't even agree upon - with Noyga's idea of them in Wesnoth.
Noyga wrote:The amazon are a fierce women warrior nation from the border of the world.
They are well know for their cavalry and archer, but they are equally skilled on foot and do have some heavy infantry units.
Last edited by Kestenvarn on November 22nd, 2005, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Naeddyr wrote:It's also good to keep in mind that the Amazons cut of their breast to make it easier to draw a bow. :o
This is the kind of thing that has a very small amount of historical evidence.

As such we would use it if we wanted, but wouldn't if we didn't.

Personally, the idea of women who have cut off one of their breasts repulses me, so I'd prefer it not be used. ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I'm not a big fan of the breast removal too, but it doesn't bother me much...
I understand that some people would find this idea repulsive, so i think it's better not to do this.

About the units i thought about a skrimish fighter, but i haven't tried yet ... Maybe as a level 2 advancement of the basic foot fighter ?
As they have negative resistances they tend to die a little quicker.

I've read also that they had some kind a hoplites (of course i't wasn't the core of their armies). However, i'm not sure they used the same techniques as they travelled in single file to disguise their numbers.
They also used war cries that the greeks and lots of their opponents found frightening.

About their ennemies ... Since they were warlike and a bit agressive let's say that every other faction is by default their enemies. They can however have allies. I don't think they should have a special enemy. So their favorites ennemies would be in most cases their neighbours.
unsung

Post by unsung »

erhm, if they cut of A breast they would SUCK at meele combat.

why?

There are two breast per woman. THye weigh a few pounds. they can boucne. thi swould mak ebalance and agility har das it is. cut on eof, the other half of your body is heavier, and there's no way to compensate.

thus, they'd be prone to falling forward and to the left side, and wouldn' t be able to deodge effectively.

plu sit would just look.....'

wrong.

stange.

disturbing.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Oh for the love of providence, unsung, get a grip on your keyboard. I know it breast removal doesn't seem right but damn, that was just painful.

I say no breast removal, seems unnecesary. AFAIK they were nomadic, great at mounting and archery, and brave warriors. So i say some good cavalry and mounted scout, a reliable archer, and fighters (i think 2 types) with many attacks. A branch with the warcry attack idea Temuchin had a while ago would be nice too.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

And I know it's time to start a new game project when discussion on my current project deteriorates to an argument over whether the game should feature one-breasted women.... :shock:
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

unsung's post would be enough to make an english teacher have a nervous breakdown. :D
unsung wrote: "meele"
"THye"
"har das,"
"thi swould mak ebalance."
Oh well, it made me smile.

(getting severly of topic here)
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Dave wrote:And I know it's time to start a new game project when discussion on my current project deteriorates to an argument over whether the game should feature one-breasted women.... :shock:
Now i know why you can't be a historian. Whenever the arguments or proofs would come to a conundrum, you would reboot your brain and start a new research.

Oh well, i guess that you found your thing, and in the end, we are all happy that you did.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Good Idea, not game worthy
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm