New Faction Proposal: "Devlings"

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which name for them do you prefer?

Poll ended at November 29th, 2005, 4:48 pm

Devlings
47%
Implings
53%

Total votes: 43

JW

Re: New Faction Proposal: "Devlings"

Post by JW »

balmung60 wrote:I just have to say this about the offenders and abusers: you still aren't getting into that R-rated movie
lol, brilliant 8)
pauxlo

Animation bug (or feature?)

Post by pauxlo »

I downloaded the current EoM from the 1.4 campaign server some hours ago, and observed a game with Devlings in it ...

It seems that at least the "Soldier" (maybe also other units from this line) has a bug in the animations: It seems to randomly use either the ranged or the melee attack animation in both ranged and melee fights (= either throws spear or moves with spear to enemy).

I didn't look at the WML, but since both are named "spear", there may be a missing filter condition in the animation definitions.

But you can also simply say this is intended ...

(Should such bug reports be in this thread, in the art thread or in the EoM thread?)
Devling Fan

Post by Devling Fan »

I like that glitch. Adds to the ineptness of the Devling's intelligence in combat. :)
JW

Post by JW »

Devling Fan wrote:I like that glitch. Adds to the ineptness of the Devling's intelligence in combat. :)
lol, nice catch - I wouldn't have noticed that ever probably. 8)

I'm sure Velensk will see this and change one of the animation names. Good find!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Fixed.

Will be in next release.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Velensk wrote:Fixed.

Will be in next release.
Thanks.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

sorry for necroing, but i just found a balance issue in the devilings (in my opinion)

even though most of them are lvl 1 now and cost as much as lvl 1's, some are still weaker then most lvl 1's.

the flappers do 4-2 melee and 3-3 ranged. compare this to, say, the drake glider, which does 6-2 and 3-3 with marksman. It does cost 1 gold more, but it has way better resists. it's even worse when you look at it next to an elvish scout, with 4-3 melee and 6-2 ranged.

also, the cursers do 7-2 damage, and dark adepts do 10-2 for just one more gold. its lvl up only does 7-3 ranged, bringing it up to standard with a mage, and its lvl 3 does as much damage as a lvl 2.

the nailers are also weaker then the average lvl 1, but they only cost 10 gold which evens it out.

why did they ever make these guys mostly lvl 1's anyways? i think it would be cooler if they were lvl 0's and cost less (the damage wouldn't need to change much)
michchar

Post by michchar »

When they were level 0's they were considered unbalanced, but yea, if what you say about the devlings are true, I'd say they are pretty weak right now.
Devling_Overlord

Post by Devling_Overlord »

all apologies for necroing, ( :twisted: ) but I think that devlings are awesome, and I have always been a fan of them.

also, I have played them quite a bit, and find them slightly overpowered.
this is an outrage.
If you're going to make something OP, at least be flamboyant about it. Give them a "god" unit, which does 100 damage.

(hell, just make them able to BUY a victory)

-------------

don't listen to the above. is there a campaign for the little buggers? cuz I want that campaign, so long as the enemies arn't overpowered, like in Count Kromire, level three :!: :!: :!:
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Devling_Overlord wrote:If you're going to make something OP, at least be flamboyant about it. Give them a "god" unit, which does 100 damage.

(hell, just make them able to BUY a victory)
Erm... Devlings (IMHO) aren't really that overpowered, and with your "god" solution it would make them the most overpowered faction (except for those purposely OPed) :roll: I don't see how this would help the situation (if there was one) at all...
Devling_Overlord wrote:is there a campaign for the little buggers?
If you don't like Count Kromire, AFAIK there is only one more campaign: War of the Dragon. Made by the same author, though. Sorry. There will always be MP games.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

War of the Dragon is not available for 1.8 I believe and either way, it's harder than Count Kromire.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I didn't see devlings as overpowered either, it's just that the rest of EoM factions seem mostly UNDERpowered, so comparing to them, if devlings are normal, they will have an advantage.
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

My experiance as EoM's creator was that when played properly the EoM factions were slighly more powerful than the mainline ones (though there were various unbalanced match-ups and match-ups that could never be balanced which is why I never attempted to balance EoM against default).
Devling_Overlord

Post by Devling_Overlord »

Velensk wrote:War of the Dragon is not available for 1.8 I believe and either way, it's harder than Count Kromire.
I find that hard to believe. in level three, you are out-manned, out-matched, out-numbered, and just generally screwed.
I even tried on easy, and it was worse, because you didn't have as many high level units to recall at the begging, due to lack of devlings recruiting ANYTHING!

also, i take back my statement about devlings being OP. I just can't win against them, for whatever reason. their strat just intrinsically seems to hard-counter mine. :/
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

There is a thread of where I have posted a folder of replays containing a play through of Count Kromire on hard. You might want to look it up.