New Faction Proposal: "Devlings"

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which name for them do you prefer?

Poll ended at November 29th, 2005, 4:48 pm

Devlings
47%
Implings
53%

Total votes: 43

pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

i love the sneak and lurker they look so cute in an evil sort of way. :twisted:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I have added a swarm attack special that might be useful for some of these units. See today's post in: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Hexice

Post by Hexice »

Great! I think implings/devilings would be a good addition to wesnoth! :)
keep it up :)
"May your swords stay sharp"
-Brom
Eragon -by (must find spelling)
JW

Post by JW »

Those are freaking incredible. I like "Devlings" personally. Cute and awesome work.

If you'd consider it, I may have an art project you could help me with in the future. I'm tossing around ideas for a new faction myself.

Repeating myself and not caring: those are awesome!
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

Thanks for the nice feedback :)

I've altered the Warrior since my friend thought he held his bone a little too "flattering".. the attackers have been made a little more distiguished from the flyers.

I am working on animating them now and working out how to test them in game.

JW. I might be able to help a little, it depends on what you need and when. December is usually a very busy month with birthdays and christmas and all.

Right now I have just enough time to do this project but when i'm finished with it I might have more time, Finishing a few other of my project very soon aswell.
JW

Post by JW »

dreampilot wrote:JW. I might be able to help a little, it depends on what you need and when. December is usually a very busy month with birthdays and christmas and all.

Right now I have just enough time to do this project but when i'm finished with it I might have more time, Finishing a few other of my project very soon aswell.
Well thank you for even your consideration. I understand that this time of year is busy, as I'm also busy myself. My current project is just barely getting started, so I don't imagine that it will be finished before next year. Hopefully it won't take too long into 2006 to finish.

If you'd like, send me a pm anytime you feel satisfied that you can take on another project. You'd determine your own involvement as far as how ambitious you want to get with art creation - I'm not going to put any pressures on you if you're willing to help me out.

So, that being said, take yout time with these little guys. They look awesome!
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

I'd add a level 3 stalker with backstab

the others look great
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

I've updated the Overgrown Devling line with a split branch for more diversity.

I'm considering have a branched sneak with the second alternative having skirmisher.

I have looked at the swarm ability and am still a little concerned how it would work out and how it would be applied, perhaps it could be to some of these if it turns out to be relatively effortless or perhaps there should be a new unit all together with this ability, like a devling pack with multiple units that gain or lose numbers depending on death or level.

It also looks like the faction will change name. I will wait for the poll to finish. Right now animating all of them is what's next aswell as fully consider their history and culture and for it to fit into wesnoth.
I gather I will have to get people interested into adding these to a campaign or perhaps I'd have to get help in making one but that comes later after they are tested and balanced.

Input is welcomed on the new units and if there is an obvious flaw in balance somewhere, if graphics are up to standards, or if there are other concerns.

Hopefully it will not take too long and too much of my time to have these animated and done soon. I expect a week or two depending on if I can find the time.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Hum, i notice there are reduction of power issues about the Devling Flappers -> Devling Flyers advancement, because of the change of damage type.
If you fight drakes, your ranged attack would be less powerfull if you level up...
You can either fix this by giving fire damage to the first unit or give add a pierce ranged attack to the next units, or make an alternative branch with a pierce ranged attack.
KnightXIII

Post by KnightXIII »

way cute thing impling sound too good for the little trash talker so devling is better
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

These guys rock hard core.
toms

Post by toms »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Devlings = little Devs
Devs = Developers. :twisted:
Yeah for the leader in "Generic Campaign"...! :P
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
dreampilot

return

Post by dreampilot »

This project went on ice with the first snow last year. my friend started playing wesnoth again and commented on whatever happened to that faction I was doing.

Basically I got stuck animating them since so many other projects took over my time and it was disheartening to animate them all on my own only to hear I might need to animate directional attacks and whatnot to ever see them in the game and that the graphics probably is not up to snuff.

I have 7 of the units finished with animations for attacks most have death and the range magic effects are not all thought out

Thought I might see if there was still any interest in these little guys and atleast put up what the animations look like if anyone want to comment.

Before you comment on the poor graphics quality of the image it is a GIF animation and can only have 256 colors I have all the original images as PSD and PNG formats.
Attachments
animationsheet4.gif
animationsheet4.gif (257.8 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

They are... erm... cute! <3 :P 8)
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
JW

Re: return

Post by JW »

dreampilot wrote:Before you comment on the poor graphics quality of the image it is a GIF animation and can only have 256 colors I have all the original images as PSD and PNG formats.
They were, and are, awesome.