Green Mage

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Post by scott »

We had a whole rainbow of mage ideas a long time ago. I mean every color truly was represented, and the silver mage eventually came out of that. Green was a frontrunner. I think the idea hinged on coming up with a unique aura or ability for any new variant. At the time the arch mage had teleport and it was given to a new color. I don't think cold damage type would cut it since there is already a human mage with cold damage. You would have to come up with a new effect for a new mage. However, every possible effect has also been suggested at some point in the past it seems like.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

Yeah, he really needs something special. 3 proposals :

1-give him woodland movement (maybe ambush at lvl 3)
2-give him heals (maybe cures at lvl 3)
3-give him regenerates

Any of these would fit, but I like 1 most, followed by 3. 2 is already white mage territory, but he would still be quite different.
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

I picked cold for now because nothing else fit.

It could be something like the elvish "entangle", perhaps?

EDIT: I have changed it, the green mage has impact, and the mage of nature has impact, pierce and cold, in "Earth Bolt", "Wind Bolt" and "Water Bolt". Do you like the idea of a mage with multiple attack types?

How would I add heal and ambush?

And the Mage of Nature (Level 3) flies, so he doesn't need woodland movement.... but it would be useful for the green mage.

Also, I have an image for a mage after "Mage of Nature", but I need a name. Here:
Attachments
Progression...
Progression...
Mage-Advance.png (12.02 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
Edited image for the next mage.
Edited image for the next mage.
nature-mage.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Don't make it go up to level 4. That's reserved for one unit per tree, and the great mage already exists...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

How about making the green mage level one, mage of nature level two, and the other level 3? Only I wanted two stages, so I can develop the skills.

Also, I have edited the "zz-summoner" in that package, which do you think is better?
Attachments
The modified "zz-summoner".
The modified "zz-summoner".
diff-summoner.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
The current one.
The current one.
green-mage.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Are they both women?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

No, Technically Male. I haven't got a different pic, and making them male fits in with the mage of nature.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Mage -> Green Mage -> Mage of Nature

That's just like the normal mage line. I think it's the best solution.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Cold is generally associated with evil/undead--I don't think it's very appropriate for a human mage. However, I was thinking that it might be interesting to have an Earth mage, with impact magic. I think brown might be a better color for such a mage, but green's not completely unreasonable.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

A brown mage-like unit would remind me a lot of a monk. IMHO, that's not a good thing for an earth mage.

Impact makes sense; I don't think it gaining attack types as it advances is a good idea.
The World of Orbivm
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

With not :
- Green mage : poison (impact ?)
- Mage of nature : poison + cure ?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Why would we have multiple mage units with cures? That seems boring and repetitive.
The World of Orbivm
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

turin wrote:A brown mage-like unit would remind me a lot of a monk.
Except that Wesnoth doesn't have monks. I think any such confusion would be momentary at most. And a brown mage is straight out of Tolkien. But I won't insist on the point.

Adding poison does seem like it would make green fit better. I actually thought of this too, but since I was (at the time) suggesting a switch to brown, I didn't bring it up. But if we stick with green, then it does seem like a reasonable suggestion. I do agree that adding cure seems redundant.

Maybe the Mage of Nature could be brown-and-green, and could get extra defense (a hard, bark-like covering). :)

(Although honestly, I think that a green mage/nature mage in general is encroaching a little too much on Elf territory, which is another reason I was suggesting brown as an alternative.)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Halcyon

Post by Halcyon »

xtifr wrote:(Although honestly, I think that a green mage/nature mage in general is encroaching a little too much on Elf territory, which is another reason I was suggesting brown as an alternative.)
I think Green Mages should be allied with the elves if they are implemented.
I think not. :roll:
Doros

Post by Doros »

Poison, slow, and forest movement seems to fit best with the nature theme.