3rd level for fencer/duellist

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Assasin

Post by Assasin »

a musketeer was in no way similar to anything you are talking about. What about Antagonist?
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

ott wrote:I think the KISS solution here is to make [advancefrom] override AMLA.
Except I can forsee having a unit which mixes both AMLA effects (or perhaps I should say advancement tags) and normal leveling. In particular I had in mind a unit that is able to continue growing and getting more HP until the player decides to advance the unit to the next level, which can advance something different,, but not HP....
Faello

Post by Faello »

Elvish Pillager wrote: Of course they shoud be. The Duelist's own attack animations need revision, IIRC it doesn't even move its weapon...
You're right - I will try to do something about it tomorrow - my skills just began to develop - I will try to do my best :)

Personally, I'm training ways of combat with "white" weapon, and I'm really interested in rapier fighting techniques so I will try to make his attack stances as profesional as it can be.
So, when he gains a level, his hair changes color? How... bish.
Never watched Dragon Ball ? Duelist became SSJ at last 8)
It will not have a level 4.
Well, you're right - duelist is a great unit - musketeer will be awesome - I don't see a reason for creating lvl 4 for this unit, but some campaing with musketeers - heroes would be great :D
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

*ahem* NOT MUSKETEER!

That is the worst name you could give him. What's better then a dualist? A master swordsman. What was the name.... matre de arms or something like that. However, that's french, and since there are no french (thank God) in Wesnoth, that's not going to work. Whats the highest rank you can have in fencing, does anyone know?

Faello

Post by Faello »

Well, the main problem is that fencers didn't use crossbows in connection with
the rapier - in the second hand, they usually held their coats, second rapier, dagger or parrying-dagger - so I suppose that attack stances will be without the crossbow in the second hand ( except shooting from it ofc ).
Whats the highest rank you can have in fencing, does anyone know?
"Master of Defence - a Renaissance instructor of swordsmanship or fence and other fighting arts"
Hearold

Post by Hearold »

Assasin wrote:*ahem* NOT MUSKETEER!
Why not? Just because the name is musketeer doesn't mean he has to have a gun or anything. The musketeers in The Three Musketeers didn't use guns...
Walk softly, carry a big stick.

--Theodore Roosevelt
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

But those were a special coprs of musketeers. They were the King's Musketeers and worked pretty much as knights, their place was highly honorable, just as any special corp of infantrymen.

To put it simply, they were the exception.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Hearold wrote:
Assasin wrote:*ahem* NOT MUSKETEER!
Why not? Just because the name is musketeer doesn't mean he has to have a gun or anything. The musketeers in The Three Musketeers didn't use guns...
Well, in the book they did. You just rarely get it in the hollywoodized versions.
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

Definitely Musketeers used muskets. In the scene where they repelled a small attack force numbering twenty men, they did mostly shooting, then knocked over a wall onto the rest. There may have been a little bit of swordplay at the end.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Whether or not being named Musketeer actually means you carry a gun is irrelevant. Being named musketeer necessarily implies that your country has some knowledge of guns (enough to know they are not magic wands that shoot fire, at least, and probably more), and most likely even posesses them. The country (not game) of Wesnoth does not have this knowledge. Thus, the name Musketeer is out. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Right. I propose Dragonstickeneer.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Faello

Post by Faello »

scott wrote:Right. I propose Dragonstickeneer.
Argh, but he doesn't have a dragonstick - just a crossbow...
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Musketeers did carry muskets, that is why they were called musketeers!

The dualist is a lot like an officer acctually, light armor, good fencing skills, and carries a ranged weapon. Maybe the lvl. 3 should be Ensign?

scott

Post by scott »

How about "Captain of the Guard" or "Guard Captain"? He would outrank the Lt but be lower than the general (despite being the same level).

Ensign is too naval for my tastes.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I was thinking "Sword Captain" but that just sounds stupid, doesn't it? I'm sure there's something with which the 'sword' could be replaced, similar, but different...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.