A race idea: Harpies

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RequiemOfReason

A race idea: Harpies

Post by RequiemOfReason »

Harpies would have mostly flying units. They would probably be fragile (low HP), but fast, and a few of them (ie: Harpy Priestess) would have magical attacks. I suppose it would be a smaller race, but here are three proposed lines:
Harpy Spear -> Harpy Huntress -> Harpy Striker
Harpy Neophyte -> Harpy Priestess -> Harpy Enchantress
Harpy Scout -> Harpy Ranger
Any comments? Ideas?
Reality is an escape for people who can't face dreams...
And no, that's not by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
stillnotelf

Post by stillnotelf »

One of the current interpretations of Harpies is of evil, vulture-like creatures...under this, I think this might be a good addition to the Undead line, although not so much a race in and of itself. It could give the Undead something with Holy resistance, although they don't really need another scout...They could be given poison attacks, perhaps, which I think the Undead should have more of. Most interpretations of the legend have them as "befoulers" and "spreaders of filth and disease", so poison seems pretty appropriate.

Alternatively, using a less evil Harpy, perhaps if the Mermen fledged out into their own faction, they'd make an excellent addition there. Mermen living under the sea, Harpies in the coastal cliffs, defending their homes against...whatever.
Usque adeone mori miserum est? After all, there's always a continue...
Tux2B

Good idea

Post by Tux2B »

Stillnotelf wrote:
Alternatively, using a less evil Harpy, perhaps if the Mermen fledged out into their own faction, they'd make an excellent addition there. Mermen living under the sea, Harpies in the coastal cliffs, defending their homes against...whatever.
:D I think it's a good idea. But then, sea units should have a healer and a "heavy" unit (like woses are elfs' "heavy" unit).
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Hmm, harpies? I'd say one line --- going from level 1 to level 3 --- with VERY low HP, and high damage, and flying; Only to be used in campaigns, probably.

Level 1, 13 gold:
16 HP
1 trait
Chaotic
fly
6 moves
9-3 melee blade 'Claws'

Level 2:
24 HP
1 trait
Chaotic
fly
6 moves
10-4 melee blade 'Claws'
8-2 ranged cold 'Shriek'

Level 3:
32 HP
1 trait
Chaotic
fly
7 moves
11-5 melee blade 'Claws'
9-3 ranged cold 'Shriek'

Evil, hey? :twisted:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Attila

Post by Attila »

I like the idea of harpies, I think it might be kind of neat. But I think that they would work with neither the undead nor the mermaids. I'm thinking just as a campaign monster and not in a multiplayer faction.
stillnotelf

Post by stillnotelf »

Originally, they stole food from some dude name Phineas...perhaps they'd make good campaign monsters if they stole villiages. They'd need a custom AI, "take villiages at all costs". They'd be too fragile to be really serious monsters, but they'd be really annoying if they kept taking your villages from behind your lines. Even so, as campaign monsters, I'm not sure they're meeting a need the Gryphon hasn't met already (unless they're given poison).
Usque adeone mori miserum est? After all, there's always a continue...
Grey Wizard

Post by Grey Wizard »

pillager, you might add skirmisher to them, they are somewhat fast and can easily swoop by.
scott

Post by scott »

I think they would need poison. They befouled everything they touched, so it really does fit.

Although sirens are alternately (for some reason) depicted as harpies or mermaids, I think that is where the affinity ends.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
kangounator

new capacity

Post by kangounator »

I don't know if it's possible to add new capacity :idea: :idea: like a random damage attack or a 2 cases lenght unit (very difficult to do)
RequiemOfReason

Post by RequiemOfReason »

Thank you very much for the input... I’m still thinking two or three lines, like the merfolk. Poison sounds like a good idea. Basically, I want them to be annoying, want your enemies to think: “ :irritated: Great. Harpies. What’s next?�.
Reality is an escape for people who can't face dreams...
And no, that's not by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Oooh.. we could have a whole new AI type for flying skirmishing poisoners! It could actually be pretty nasty...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Hearold

Post by Hearold »

I think that harpies would only work as an addition to the Undead, not as a faction. Otherwise, we'd end up with an incomplete faction that wouldn't be used much. The Undead need some more units.
Walk softly, carry a big stick.

--Theodore Roosevelt
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hearold wrote:I think that harpies would only work as an addition to the Undead, not as a faction. Otherwise, we'd end up with an incomplete faction that wouldn't be used much. The Undead need some more units.
How do the undead need more units? They have several already, more than any other race except humans.

* Dark Adept
* Skeleton
* Skeleton Archer
* Ghost
* Vampire Bat
* Walking Corpse
* Ghoul

That's 7. And they've covered all of the different unit categories you could have. What more do you think undead need? :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
SL

Post by SL »

They don't have any units that're good on the sea, or teleport, or do fire damage, or heal, or... but we don't want the factions to all be the same, do we? :P
Attila

Post by Attila »

SL wrote:They don't have any units that're good on the sea, or teleport, or do fire damage, or heal, or... but we don't want the factions to all be the same, do we? :P

no units that are good on the sea: bats, ghosts (to an extent)
teleport: so, no besides humans do
fire damage: humans don't have any units that do cold damage
heal: humans don't have any unit that have drain