Alternate names for "Lawful" and "Chaotic&quo

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Alternate names for "Lawful" and "Chaotic&quo

Post by Sangel »

Post your proposals for replacing the Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic system here. I think this subject could benefit from a really good brainstorm, so just throw out everything which comes to mind.

An idea of minel: Daydwellers/Neutral/Darkdwellers
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Daydwellers/nightdwellers
lightdwellers/darkdwellers
scott

Post by scott »

Day fighter/Night fighter

Honestly, after watching "The Last Samurai" the terms lawful and chaotic have fully ceased to bother me. Watching the samurai and emperor's armies fight on the battlefield followed certain rules of war common at the time. Contrast that with the ninja attacking the samurai village at night. Lawful and chaotic.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Good guy/Bad guy

It's easier to understand
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

Assasin wrote:Good guy/Bad guy

It's easier to understand
Unless that was sarcasm you must have missed the point. The change is needed cause lawful and chaotic have nothing to do with the units morale status. Lawful units fight better at day and chaotic units fight better at night.
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

In the spirit of brainstorming, a bit of stream of conciousness...

- Diurnal / Nocturnal (proposed by someone else in the other thread)
- Lighturnal / Nocturnal (lighturnal is made up ;-))
- Of the Light / Of the Night (probably too long, and weakly worded)
- Lightful / Nightful
- Lighturnal / Nighturnal
- Ordered / Chaotic
- Nightblind / Lightblind (kinda backwards)
- Daydweller (Lightdweller) / Nightdweller
- Lightkin / Nightkin (Darkkin)
- Lightfriend / Nightfriend

Mix and match as desired. I think diurnal / nocturnal is the most descriptive, but perhaps is too scientific for the mood we're going for. I think my favorite would be lightkin / nocturnal or daydweller / nocturnal.
Author of Wercator
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

In the spirit of the Swedish and German translations: lightshy (chaotic) vs. nightshy (lawful).
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

I don't know, most of the alternatives that have been suggested and that I can come up with aren't as good as the current names to me. How about "Sunshine" / "Moonlight" (or "Starlight")? Or maybe even "Sunlit" / "Moonlit" (or "Starlit")?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:shock: Oh man. Yeah, you're right.
Why are we restricting ourselves to adjectives?

Lets just change the verbal interpretation of "alignment", which has never been formalized, from:

Alignment = "This unit is ____ ."

to:

Alignment = "This unit prefers to fight in the _____ ."

And then lets use the most basic terms available: either "Light and Shadow" or "Day and Night."

I reiterate that the primary problem with "Lawful and Chaotic" is the Lawful part, because it makes the whole thing seem to be a measure of the unit's morality. That the term "Alignment" has been used before in Dungeons and Dragons type games as precisely that - a measure of the character's morality, compounds the problem. A number of people, myself obviously included, don't want it to be a measure of the unit's morality in any way.
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

I agree that it should be changed and that "alignment" is a bad term for it. This has been discussed before too (to no avail obviously).
The Eponymous Archon
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Jetryl wrote:Why are we restricting ourselves to adjectives?
Since whatever term we use is going to appear by itself in the GUI under the unit type, I think we need to restrict ourselves to adjectives or adjective phrases. "Spearman \n Level 1 \n Day" would be confusing, IMO - it might be interpreted as a time of day statement, if anything. As long as alignment remains where it is in the GUI, we need to maintain the parellel construction of the unit type / level / "alignment" tuple - both level and alignment modify the unit type, in a grammatical sense, implying the alignment phrase should be an adjective. (And yes, I agree, "alignment" is a poor term, although I have no alternative suggestions at the moment.) [/channelling lit major relatives]

If we were to use a noun, we would need a clever way to display it unambiguously; unfortunately, I can't think of anything at the moment. Perhaps after some sleep. :)
Author of Wercator
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Jetryl wrote:I reiterate that the primary problem with "Lawful and Chaotic" is the Lawful part, because it makes the whole thing seem to be a measure of the unit's morality.
Well, it IS. It's a measure of the unit's morality in a conventional sense. Farmers that get up as the [censored] crows to plough the fields are the good guys, those that squander their silver in taverns after dark are the bad guys, IF you apply a conventional (socially-accepted) sense of morality. This has nothing to do with good or evil. The problem is not wesnoth, it's those people who take Dungeons and Dragons away from the table as their approach to life! :P

I for one hugely prefer the existing terms, and the feeling they give for a medieval-style subjective morality that sees the natural daylight rhythm as a central element.
Last edited by Rhuvaen on March 30th, 2005, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

We could go the "this unit prefers to fight in the ..." route. and for the UI we could just use an Icon of a sun or a moon.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yeah, uh, like Rhuvaen, I maintain that it is, in fact, a measure of the units morality. Or style of fighting. Or whatever.

If people really find the "lawful" part bad, it could be changed to "orderly". But "chaotic" is good, IMHO.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Woodwizzle wrote:We could go the "this unit prefers to fight in the ..." route. and for the UI we could just use an Icon of a sun or a moon.
And neutral would have no logo?

Sounds rather good, this would be interesting.