The Reign of the Lords

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Otdoy

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by Otdoy »

I thought so. Yeah there must be a little bug somewhere. A few turns back I had the messages, where someone says, "The orcs are getting stronger!" and the mage says "We should retreat"... so maybe that changed the conditions for those hexes.
Attachments
tRoI-The Outlands Turn 54.gz
(157.49 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thank you I will see if I can fix it for you! :)

EDIT: I apologize it was a stupid tiny mistake that caused this error :whistle: here is your saved game again with the error fixed all you have to do is step on one of the two mineshafts now to trigger the event. :D

Thank you very much for the feedback!! Please let me know what you think of the scenario and if you have any suggestions! :D
Attachments
tRoI-The Outlands Turn 54 NEW.gz
(159.47 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

Ok! I tried your fix, and yes when I step on a mine I get the "fuse" message. So I clear my men from the mine areas... wait a few turns... nothing happens. So I go and step on the other mine, get the message again.... but again after a few turns, nothing happens. Am I not waiting long enough?

I'm using BfW 1.14.4 by the way.
Thanks!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Otdoy wrote: December 20th, 2018, 8:31 pm Ok! I tried your fix, and yes when I step on a mine I get the "fuse" message. So I clear my men from the mine areas... wait a few turns... nothing happens. So I go and step on the other mine, get the message again.... but again after a few turns, nothing happens. Am I not waiting long enough?

I'm using BfW 1.14.4 by the way.
Thanks!
Whoops :whistle: thank you for pointing this out! There is unfortunately another bug which resets the timer every time you step on the mines.

So the first time you have to wait 5 turns. But if you step again before 5 turns have passed then it resets and you have to wait 5 more turns :lol:

I will upload a new version so in future players don't have this problem. For you it should work if you step once and then wait 5 turns. :D Also while currently this is the only scenario in the campaign, I am going to release a new level at some point!
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

This is really a fun map! And challenging level. Two humble suggestions :

For the explosion delay, at the start of the second turn I would pop a message where Ker Rathor says, "Is everyone clear? That's going to blow soon!" Then at the start of the fourth turn I would pop another one : "Geez, what's wrong? Are you sure the fuses are lit?" "Why yes sir! But... should we go back in there and look?" "Hmmm I don't know... maybe we should wait a little longer." And then of course the BOOM. That way the player will know that something is going on, but not have 100% certainty?

For the gameplay, I like the mechanism of how dead leaders reincarnate with money and troops. But I figured out that you can simply poison and/or encircle them, without killing them off, and it stops the flow of enemies onto the map. (You saw how I have a ton of strong units now.) I think you would add a sense of urgency and impending doom, if you spawn random small groups of orcs on the map edges every so often. (You may have to lower the enemy leader's cash for balance.) This way the player is always nervous, and anxious to finish the level as quickly as possible.

Just my two cents! Thanks for the hard work and looking forward to the next level!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great suggestions I will implement them all! I especially agree about the spawning random leaders, I will try to make it less predictable. :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

CAMPAIGN - NEW RELEASE - Version 0.1.6

The campaign 'The Rulers of Irdya' has been updated thanks to Otdoy's suggestions. :D The new version fixes some balance issues and bugs and also improves the story and dialogue. It adds new events and a few more options for the player and also changes the map in some places.

Also Scenario 2 (Darkened Horizons) soon to come! 8) Here is a preview:
Preview
image.png
image2.png
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Regarding 'Reign of the Lords Default Unit Advancements', isn't it possible to make modifications optional when starting a campaign, instead of it automatically applying while it's installed? It would be nice if you'd implement it, that way people won't have to keep track of whether they've installed it when they start a campaign. ^^
Also, the sprites you are using are awesome.

EDIT:
I asked around a bit and apparently [advancefrom] is a horrible tag and the responsible code would need a rewrite be needed, by using unit placed events? I don't really know what it means, but maybe it's helpful.
(Discord server, modding channel, around now)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2018, 11:10 am EDIT:
I asked around a bit and apparently [advancefrom] is a horrible tag and the responsible code would need a rewrite be needed, by using unit placed events? I don't really know what it means, but maybe it's helpful.
(Discord server, modding channel, around now)
Thank you Konrad2! :) I have already begun transitioning into a better system. The only reason the current method has lasted this long is because it enabled the unit advancements to appear in the help menu. I, however, don't think this is enough of a benefit for the complications it adds and so am definitely looking into how I can improve this! :D

Currently the method I am looking to implement (as you mentioned) uses events when units are placed to modify their advancements.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Sadly both the Storytext and their 'speech bubbles' are empty for me. :/
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Konrad2 wrote: January 6th, 2019, 9:17 am Sadly both the Storytext and their 'speech bubbles' are empty for me. :/
I am sorry I do not understand? Is this in relation to your last post about the modification implementation, or is this an error you are finding when playing the add-on in multiplayer?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

It's an error I'm finding when playing the 'campaign' in singleplayer. :D Sorry, I forgot that this is a multipurpose thread. :/
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Konrad2 wrote: January 6th, 2019, 9:56 pm It's an error I'm finding when playing the 'campaign' in singleplayer. :D Sorry, I forgot that this is a multipurpose thread. :/
:D that is fine I appreciate all bug reports! So what it sounds like to me is that the units have not loaded correctly. Can you give more details or post a savegame so I can figure out what is causing this issue? :)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

My error log is throwing a lot of errors about 'invalid string'.

Code: Select all

20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  The Rising Storm
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Scenario One: The Outlands
<i>Rising Storm</i>
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:    <i>Some are born great. Some achieve greatness. And some have greatness thrust upon them. But beware if you are of the latter... nothing comes without a price
And the price of greatness, power, strength, often is your soul.</i>
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:    This fort is lonely place that has long been forgotten. For almost a year all you have fought is the rats and the cold. But despite appearances this is a important strategic position. This outpost is on the peak bordering the elven lands and the orcish border. Furthermore their is a large store of gold in the nearby treasury, from the rich gold mines nearby.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:    You, Lieutenant Kerr Rathor, are eager for a battle. Ever since you were young you hoped to be part of the army and now finally is your chance to prove yourself. Though you are still young you are the General's right hand. He sees your talent and ability, and it was he who encouraged and trained you to become a leader in the army.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:    The Orcish Wartribes have been fighting an intense civil war since the start of the year now and the General believes that these scattered tribes that have been driven acrossed the border into our land may be the key to a new alliance between the Orcs and Humans, and the key to ending the tyrannous rule of the Orcish Warlords. He does not share your pessimism and hope for war, and has gone to meet with the Orcish leaders to discuss their presence on the border.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Treasury Keep
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  teamname^Human
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  teamname^Orcish
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  teamname^Orcish
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  You stand upon the watch tower keeping an eye out for the General's return. Secretly you hope that he will bring news of an impending conflict. You long for the chance to be in a battle.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  <i>(long trumpet) </i> In the distance a trumpet sounds. Its ominous tones echo across the hills and make you shudder. 
In the distance you see a huge billow of smoke rising, its grey waves climbing towards the heavens. This does not bode well.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  The General should have returned by now. I do not like the looks of this... Lieutenant I suggest you secure the fortress and send a guard to the treasury. I have a feeling that trumpet was not signaling a celebration.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Sir there is still no sign of the General and it seems the Orcs are moving forward. 
We must assume he has been slain by the savages! You are in command we cannot let the invaders take the treasury. We must defend it at all costs!
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  You had hoped for war and glorious battles, but never foreseen the loneliness and weight of responsibility that suddenly you feel on your shoulders. The accursed Orcs and their traitorous ways have thrust you into the role of leader but you are far from thankful.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  It is with a sombre silence that you realize today, this very hour, that your time has come and your chance for honor is upon you, but silently you mourn the loss of your General, your comrade and mentor.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Sir we are going to try to move the treasure from the treasury down to the main fort. But it is a large load so its going to take a few days.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  What about the other gold stored in the mines?
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  We cannot save everything, and amidst the war if the Orcs have time to dig themselves into those polluted underground caverns than so be it. Hopefully they choke to death on the toxic gases.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  As for the Treasury, this is nearly a a quarter million talents. The gold stores here were thought, by the king, to be safe from un-loyal rogues and factions during the Oaken Wars, but it seems that strategy may backfire if we loose this stockpile to the Orcs. Under no cost can those barbarian raiders take our treasury!
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Look there! Is that our reinforcements from Breston?
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  No, indeed they are not.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  What have we gotten ourselves into? Has not the entire Orcish land come down upon us?! Nothing short of a miracle will save our lives now...
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Stand strong men, we will prevail! I have called for reinforcements, but until then we cannot let the barbarians cross this valley. If this outpost falls then the entire Loyal kingdom, our cities and people, will be under threat from the Orcish invasion, and it will be an invasion funded by our loyal alliances gold.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Sire, the transports have arrived to move the gold from the treasury.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Good, move the treasure to the main fortification.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Sire, we have moved the gold from the treasury into the main keep, we can fall back from the treasury if you wish.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  No, it is better if we leave it in the treasury.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  As you wish sire. But do you not think our forces would do better defending the main fortification?
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Thank you for your advice captain, but no I believe we should leave the gold in the treasury. These Orcs are merely raiders trying to rob us. How foolish they are, they will soon meet death at the hands of our armies.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Yes of course sire. We will hold back, for as long as we can, but brazen confidence is not fitting for the position of leader. I would advise you to be wary because we cannot afford to loose the those stores of gold.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Look sire, there are more Orcs approaching!
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Yes, indeed there are. I wonder how the Orcish tribes managed to unite enough to launch such an attack in the midst of their civil war?
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  I have a bad feeling about this sire. More Orcs continue to arrive each day and our army is depleting in numbers very fast, I do not know how long we will be able to hold out.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Are you suggesting we flee captain? Cowardice is not fitting for your position soldier.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  I am sorry sire, I mean no disrespect and am certainly not questioning your leadership. You need not doubt my devotion or fear my cowardice, I will fight to the death for you and for the kingdom.
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Sir in the distance the lookouts have reported more Oricsh soldiers and encampments. I do not know how long we will be able to hold out!
20190106 23:35:03 error config: Error: invalid string:  Oh, OOOoooo....!!!! ... We will die!!!
And so on.
Attachments
2.png
1.png
tRoI--Auto-Save1.gz
(41.86 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay thank you I will see what I can do :)