Age of Dinosaurs (It's finally here!)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mountain_King
Translator

Age of Dinosaurs (It's finally here!)

Post by Mountain_King »

Age of Dinosaurs!

Only two planned factions at present: Carnivores and Herbivores. If there are any starving/bored artists out there that want to contribute, the link to the art thread can be found in my signature.

Original First Post in Ideas Forum
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see that this has never directly come up before, so I'll start with the sales pitch. ;)
[sales pitch]
Have you ever wanted to put dinosaurs in Wesnoth? Not just the little saurians or the drakes, real dinosaurs! They could be really useful for monster units in your UMC. Tyrannosaurus, Pterodactyls, Triceratops, or Diplodocus! Being that dinosaurs have achieved semi-legendary status even in our world, couldn't they reach the same level in Irdya? I already have the stats figured out in my head, I just want to see if anybody else has been hit with the urge to bring these legendary beasts to Wesnoth. [/sales pitch]

EDIT: Now being developed as something akin to a "prehistoric era". We're including trilobites, diatryma, dinosaurs, and possibly ice age animals.
Last edited by Mountain_King on February 9th, 2011, 1:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
hhyloc
Translator

Re: Dinosaurs! (UMC)

Post by hhyloc »

Not sure if this gonna be accepted :hmm:
But Hulavuta will definitely like it :P

Edit: Typo
R.I.P
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Mountain_King wrote:I already have the stats figured out in my head, I just want to see if anybody else has been hit with the urge to bring these legendary beasts to Wesnoth. [/sales pitch]

Hm, I can't help but wonder if there will be a time when somebody proposes a unit that would be awesome to have with the sentence: "I have the sprite, animations, portrait ready for use, can someone help me with the stats perhaps?"

This is not meant to be rude however, I try to point out that just ideas for units (including the stats) require almost no work, whereas the artwork is the bottleneck for any kind of unit, UMC or mainline.
And since most people that come here to propose ideas for units most of the time include "I'm not an artist, so I can't do the sprites" and most artists have more than enough work on their agenda, an idea alone, even if beautiful, has only minor chances of becoming a reality.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Woo. Go make them, if you're 'no artist' (and probably 90% of our current artists weren't when they came to the forums) then either try, or work with placeholders until you've got a playable concept together, which will tend to attract artists.

Everyone has their ideas. Until you act on them, they're worthless. Noone else is going to, you have to do it yourself.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

hhyloc is right, I DO like this idea. :D I know a little bit more about dinosaurs than the average forumer, so I could help out with descriptions and stats and stuff.
Last edited by Hulavuta on August 5th, 2010, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

LET ME HELP!
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Hulavuta wrote:hhyloc is right, I DO like this idea. :D I know a little bit more about dinosaurs than the average forumer, so I could help out with descriptions and stats and stuff.
I figured you would. :eng: How about pachycephalosaurus?
Drakefriend wrote:LET ME HELP!
I am creating an art thread if you want to contribute, and I'll post what I've got there.

@thesapceinvader: Thank you for the advice. I totally understand how busy most of the artists are on here, but I wanted to make sure there was a big enough interest before I went ahead.

Now I have one more question...there seems to be no option for "unit pack" in the choices for add-ons. Would I just pack it into an era and people can take it from there??
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Media would be the thing to use for a unit pack. But you'd be better off posting it as a faction, or probably as a default + dinosaurs era.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Mountain_King: What about it? I know of it. It's not really that obscure, it's been in most dinosaur movies and has already had two pokemon based off of it.

BTW, are you planning to make an actual development topic, or should TSI move this into Era development or something?

EDIT: Another quick idea I just recalled. Maybe a good idea would be to make it a full-fledged era and have each faction as a different period. The Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous factions. The Dinosaurs that existed during each time period would go into the respective era. Although this would force balancing, which I'd also be happy to help with.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Hulavuta wrote:Mountain_King: What about it? I know of it. It's not really that obscure, it's been in most dinosaur movies and has already had two pokemon based off of it.
I haven't watched many of the dinosaur movies, or pokemon, so I wouldn't know about that. But I read a lot of dinosaur books when I was younger (a lot). How about baryonyx? :) (These are all on the list in case you're wondering)
Hulavuta wrote: BTW, are you planning to make an actual development topic, or should TSI move this into Era development or something?
That's a good question. Don't know the answer for certain.
Hulavuta wrote:EDIT: Another quick idea I just recalled. Maybe a good idea would be to make it a full-fledged era and have each faction as a different period. The Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous factions. The Dinosaurs that existed during each time period would go into the respective era. Although this would force balancing, which I'd also be happy to help with.
The only reason I wouldn't like making this into an era is because, as you said, it would require balancing. I rather like having them appear as incredibly overpowered units that are a total pain to kill. At least the theropods anyways. Big, slow, killing machines...with great vulnerability to magic. Come to think of it, the average dinosaur size is only about the size of a sheep technincally, so that might work. I'll have to think about that more. Thank you for the ideas, please keep them coming! :)
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Mountain_King wrote: The only reason I wouldn't like making this into an era is because, as you said, it would require balancing. I rather like having them appear as incredibly overpowered units that are a total pain to kill. At least the theropods anyways. Big, slow, killing machines...with great vulnerability to magic. Come to think of it, the average dinosaur size is only about the size of a sheep technincally, so that might work. I'll have to think about that more. Thank you for the ideas, please keep them coming! :)
Well, as long as they are balanced amongst themselves, they can be totally overpowered next to mainline, if you wish. And people can still just come along and pick whichever single dinosaur and make it into a single monster if they'd like it for their UMC, nobody's forced to use the whole era/faction.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Okay, I see. Baryonyx, yes, I know that one.
~Sierra
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Moved to Faction and Era Development.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

~Sierra
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Dinosaurs Vs Mammals era? lol xD