Wesnoth Forum Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

monochromatic

Re: Wesnoth Forum Era

Post by monochromatic »

Araja wrote:Apparently I'm an alien, so it seems like a fitting ability.
Alien here refers to 'foreigner', not 'strange + otherworldly being'.
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

monochromatic wrote:
Araja wrote:Apparently I'm an alien, so it seems like a fitting ability.
Alien here refers to 'foreigner', not 'strange + otherworldly being'.
I'm not sure you are right in this case, cause he/she IS strange :P

BTW the de-infestation action has to be implemented. Is it going to be?
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

tapik wrote:BTW the de-infestation action has to be implemented. Is it going to be?
What do you mean?
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

monochromatic wrote:
tapik wrote:BTW the de-infestation action has to be implemented. Is it going to be?
What do you mean?
infestation in game description wrote: This unit can take up the form of an enemy unit upon giving the killing blow if desired. However, the new 'unit' will only have half the amount of the max hitpoints of the unit it killed and no experience.

Infestation does not work on other units with infestation.
If I understand the infestation well, when a unit (unit of A form) with this spec. kills another unit (unit of B form), it can change it's form from A to B (with some limitations). And I think the form change could persist from the moment of killing till an action I called de-infestation, which enables possibility to change back the unit form from B to A.

Does it make sense?
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

tapik wrote:
monochromatic wrote: What do you mean?
infestation in game description wrote: This unit can take up the form of an enemy unit upon giving the killing blow if desired. However, the new 'unit' will only have half the amount of the max hitpoints of the unit it killed and no experience.

Infestation does not work on other units with infestation.
If I understand the infestation well, when a unit (unit of A form) with this spec. kills another unit (unit of B form), it can change it's form from A to B (with some limitations). And I think the form change could persist from the moment of killing till an action I called de-infestation, which enables possibility to change back the unit form from B to A.

Does it make sense?
I see. I personally don't think there should be de-infestation in that case. Araja's and ParadiseCity's stats aren't going to be that much impressive. It's the fact that they can morph into something else (presumably from another faction) that makes them awesome; adding de-infestation would be overpowering.
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

monochromatic wrote:I see. I personally don't think there should be de-infestation in that case. Araja's and ParadiseCity's stats aren't going to be that much impressive. It's the fact that they can morph into something else (presumably from another faction) that makes them awesome; adding de-infestation would be overpowering.
I think that de-infestation is the natural part of this specialization. Why? The unit changes its form, not itself. Do you know Dudu, doppler of Andrzej Sapkowski (http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Dudu)? He is able to change his skin to look like everybody. He has the same abbilities, but with limitations. And he is able to change his skin again and again. So let's make the infesting units weak in their origin form (may be skirmish, 10mp, small HP, small damage) and let's give them the ability of "reincarnation".
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Description for my unit:

Code: Select all

An elite member of the Age of Machines. He can bend a rod of steel with just his toes alone, and can shoot a fly from a mile away. He is one force to be reckoned with.
Sorry if it sound stupid, lame etc... I knda made it up on the fly. Sprites will be here ASAP.
BLAST

Post by BLAST »

dipseydoodle wrote:Description for my unit:

An elite member of the Age of Machines. He can bend a rod of steel with just his toes alone, and can shoot a fly from a mile away. He is one force to be reckoned with.
Sorry if it sound stupid, lame etc... I knda made it up on the fly. Sprites will be here ASAP.
Sounds good. But, the rods of steel that he bends with his toes are actually wire and he got the fly with a nuclear missile.
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

Here comes my description :
Description wrote:Most clansmen think that ranged weapons aren't worthy of a true warrior. The wendek agrees with that, but knows that archers can decimate even the most valiant fighters... hence he fights at distance, but with axes instead of arrows. He mastered the art of throwing little axes at a decent distance, but his real weapon is this terrible, four-feet long axe that he can throw away with devastating strength. While he's rather weak in close-combat, this unique ability makes him a true member of the Clans' fighting force, and no one would tell him he's not a real warrior.
I assumed the Indigenous Clans are like your average barbarian (nothing negative in the term, by the way), hence the focus on strength, valor and that. Tell me if it doesn't fit what you had in mind.
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
monochromatic

Re: The Wesnoth Forum Faction

Post by monochromatic »

I currently need sprites for:
ancestral
dipseydoodle
Rei2

I need descriptions from:
ancestral
Battlecruiser_Venca
Hulavuta
IPS
Lightfighter
monochromatic
Moribund
ParadiseCity
Qazerowl
Rei2
shadowmaster
Stern
zookeeper
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Would it be possible to have the "trees" + roles of units even if they are not complete (i.e. there are 3 sprites missing)? Or at least to have those for the fully-sprited factions? My offer to do them still stands if you send me all the sprites and the requiered info. Basically, I just don't want to skim the thread for the sprites and don't know what role you defined for each unit...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Most of the unit sprites can be found here, as the rest are mainline units. http://wesnoth-umc-dev.svn.sourceforge. ... s/default/
Role I'm defining on the fly by the appearance of the sprite (or if it was defined already in the submission).

If you want to make a unit chart, by all means go ahead :) I'm busy making unit files.
Factions can be found here: http://wesnoth-umc-dev.svn.sourceforge. ... s/default/

PM/IRC if you want to get into a more detailed discussion about this.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Hello again! Just thought I'd pop in with a modified description for my unit. The one you currently have is just the one from IAF, and not quite the way I want it for TWFF. ;)

The Mountain King is a mighty warrior, whose full powers are as of yet not entirely known. He rules over the Lucht Oighir with benevolence and strength. One of his known powers is that of "Babbling" or speaking in an obscure foreign tongue, which leaves friends and foes alike dazed and confused, as he is the only one who actually knows what he is saying. 
Writing this gave me an idea for an ability upgrade or weapon for me. "Babble". Has the "slows" weapon special. :lol2:

Now I'd better leave, as physics is calling. :geek:

Tripping out,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well I'll most definitely do charts, even if for myself only, thanks for the links :) (not tonight, though - maybe tomorrow or this weekend)

I think it would be awesome if we could go beyond the "bland generic faction" for each of our six forum factions and define generic faction flavours. For exemple:

Northern Rogues: chaotic faction with good mobility and defenses on average, ok damage output, but relatively expensive/less desirable resists. Good access to ranged attacks.

Vassals of creation: lawful faction with low damage output on the whole and centered about support. Has good access to magic.

Indigenous Clans: cheap, spammy neutral faction. Units usually have slightly worse AMLAs and lowish HPs, but require less XP to upgrade.

Etc. (feel free to disregard the above exemples, they're only to show what I had in mind. For one, I didn't remember the alignments you defined)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Maramros

Post by Maramros »

Dixie wrote:I think it would be awesome if we could go beyond the "bland generic faction" for each of our six forum factions and define generic faction flavours. For example:

Northern Rogues: chaotic faction with good mobility and defenses on average, ok damage output, but relatively expensive/less desirable resists. Good access to ranged attacks.
I agree with this. I haven't offered much input into this thread/faction/[insert-desired-name-here], but I like this idea, perhaps even using the profiles Dixie just defined, as, IMO, they would add nice flavor. I was picturing my unit as a light, ranged skirmisher, with a typical saurian movetype and resists, which is, coincidentally, basically exactly what Dixie offered as the flavor for the Northern Rouges. So, I support this idea.
Please remember, my opinion is my opinion. Please listen, but my opinion is only, and will never be more than, my opinion. It is not yours. You do not have to act on it. I'm not telling you what to do.