Evolving Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Golbeeze

Evolving Era

Post by Golbeeze »

Hi folks and welcome to the Evolving Era thread. I plan on basing this era on the idea of creating unique units through quick level ups. The recruits will be weak units that can either gain abilities, weapon specials, or become a higher level unit.
If anyone is interested in doing art just tell me.

I need feedback on the leadership ability for leaders. Is it overpowered? Opinions? Comments?

Any ideas, questions, or comments are welcome! :)

Edit:
0.3.2: Replaced steadfast on a couple units which couldn't benefit from it.
0.3.1: HUGE update! after feedback and balance testing I have edited all units' cost values and reduced hyper intelligent's reduction of XP to -30%
0.2.5: raised berserk's xp increase to 25%
0.2.4: fixed an unknown unit error, EV_EV_Dwarvish_Regular
0.2.3: leaders have the "lead" trait which gives them +3 HP, +1 HP per level, +20% XP to advance, and leadership
I also fixed a bunch of AMLA stuff including putting the requirement of the lesser heal for the better heals. The undead got more curative capabilites as well. I tweaked the plague unit
Spoiler:
a little by giving it a unique movetype.
0.2.2: fixed all the bugs I found: fixed terrain issues on recruits, warning about the level 2 xp only being for leaders, traits, some balance issues
0.2.1: all 6 factions are up, please report any bugs you find; look for blue XP values (they should all be purple), unknown unit errors, any other errors, etc.
also tell me if you think any values should be changed =D thanks
0.1.5: fixed leaders, shifted add-on setup in preparation for new factions
version 0.1.3 has been uploaded; fixed plague, it now creates Blobs
version 0.1.2 has been uploaded; 4 new recruits were added
version 0.1.1 has been uploaded to the add-ons

I have attached the era info file.
Attachments
Evolving Era info.txt
(40.21 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
Last edited by Golbeeze on June 26th, 2010, 5:31 pm, edited 16 times in total.
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
PeterPorty
Translator

Re: Evolving Era

Post by PeterPorty »

I like the idea, I play most of my games using 30% experience because I like to levvel up quickly. I also like the idea of only having 3 or 4 recriust and having tons of level-up possibilitties. I'd love to help, but... I suck at all the skills needed for this, I suck at WML, at spriting, ar portrait art, etc. sorry :(
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

I like the idea, but have a few suggestions.
1. it would be easier to balance if you started off with level zeroes that had actual lvl 0 stats from default, rather than making your units like lvl 0.1's.
2. It might be a bit unbalanced, since a normal lvl up will be immediately stronger than an ability lvl up. You could change this by making it so that every, 4 (or some other number) ability level ups then you are forced to choose from a normal level up. (ex: peasant gets cures, then skirmisher, then illuminates, then becomes a cavalryman).
3. There are already a few lvl 0 eras, you could use sprites from them.
4. For balance purposes you could make it so that each faction has at least 4 starting units: one for melee, one for ranged, one for scouting and one for magic. (or mix ranged and magic if you feel like it) and swimming when necessary.
5. You could maybe do that amla upgrade thing rather than a lvl up so you have to code less units, but i'm not sure it will let you level up normally as well as get amlas on alternate levels. (i'm not good at coding, I have just seen this been done before)
6. Lastly, if you choose to follow my advice in #4, it would be really cool if the upgrades differed from unit to unit. Scouts could get terrain training, for example, to be able to maneuver better in different terrain types, and mages could learn different spells (ex: fireball, ice strike, and so on), fighters could get new weapons and so on.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

There is a "requires" amla tag which I was planning on using to prevent immediate unit level ups, good thinking.
I like your idea of units being able to obtain new weapons. I'll definitely add that in, thanks!

I've got a lot of stuff coded out already, mainly the AMLA stuff, but I've started the units themselves, too. Just to mention this now, the level 1s and 2s aren't as powerful as default level 1s and 2s; they are just more powerful than the lvl 0s of this era. Therefore the choice to take the unit advancement over other possibilities may not always be taken immediately.

Balance is critical, as in any era, and will certainly take a lot of testing to whittle it down to a functional status.

Edit:
I have uploaded version 0.1.1 to the add-ons

Syron

Post by Syron »

I tested, i like a lot your idea !

When i have level Up an unit, i had been surprise by the choice of evolution :D

Good idea the era !
Author of:
- Two Opposing Powers
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Right now there are just the three initial units. I plan on adding more recruits with fewer options/capabilities that will have more specific uses. The 3 human recruits are the main soldiers. I was thinking of creating a scout in the form of a wolf, but I couldn't think of much else. Any ideas that would tie in well?
I thought of going the "monster" route and using things like the giant scorpion or mudcrawler, although I'm not sure.

wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

You could make lvl 0 elves, dwarves, drakes, orcs (other than goblin) and undead, if you're willing to make the code.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

I have considered doing: Orcs, Elves, and Dwarves. Possibly undead, but meh. I just wasn't sure if I would feel like doing the code for it. Initially I just wanted one group, but the potential was there for more. If I have time and the initiative, I will add those three. If then I feel like looking at undead again, maybe. I just don't feel like the Drakes would fit too well, but that could be a personal bias.

I just wrote up some "extras" to add in. They could fit any grouping as supplemental units. I'm probably too tired to think rationally at this point, so I'll just wait until tomorrow.

Edit: uploaded new version, check first post

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I figured evolving era would be different. When I first read the name, I thought it would start with a single blob-like lv0 unit or something, and with AMLAs going on, you could give it any attack/abilities/weapon special you like, and tweak the stats at will, doing your dream unit. I tought after X AMLAs, your unit would have to pick a race, changing X stats in X predetermined ways, and after X other AMLAs it would go from lv0 to lv1, and after X more to lv2, etc. all the way up to whatever lv you want it to cap at. Anyway, the point being that whatever your unit started as, it could grow to become just about anything.

Of course, the idea I just depicted is by no mean the ultimate one, but I was somehow disapointed upon discovering the units were ordained according to certain predetermined path (although still flexible).

The weak point for my thing would probably be sprites. You either need an enormous amount of them, either at each lv up you let the player choose a sprite in a predetermined list (according to race/various settings you'd choose).

Anyway, good continuity :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Actually, units with amla's don't normally change sprites, so a spearman that also has a mace could look the same as one that has skirmisher, for example.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

@Dixie: That sounds interesting, too, although it would take a ton more work than what I was aiming for. Plus, it's a bit different from what I want.

Edit: I have attached a replay where the AI stomped me. Watch Glidd as he levels up (an enemy Adolescent (woodsman)).
Attachments
AI_Stomped_Me.gz
I got crushed
(9.62 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

I think Dixie would enjoy playing Spore.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Fixed plague and updated to 0.1.3

wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

just wondering: is this available in 1.6.5?
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Only in 1.8- I no longer have 1.6.
Sorry