18th Century Warfare Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.2.9(Final Version)

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Released a map especially made for this era, particularly for naval combat.

Released 4.2.9
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on December 30th, 2009, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.3.1

Uploaded the version 4.3.1 onto the add-on server of the development version.
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on December 28th, 2009, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.3.6(Final Version)

Released 4.3.6, which includes "Archipelago".
Pato

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.3.6(Final Version)

Post by Pato »

How do we invade other islands in Archipelago? i mean, how do we take it from an entrenched enemy?

I loved the new retreat weapon special, it makes sense.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.3.8(Final Version)

Pato wrote:How do we invade other islands in Archipelago? i mean, how do we take it from an entrenched enemy?

I loved the new retreat weapon special, it makes sense.
In all islands there is at least one castle which is next to the sea and can be attacked with ships.

Released 18th Century Warfare Era 4.3.8 both in Wesnoth Stable and Development.
Pato

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.3.8(Final Version)

Post by Pato »

In all islands there is at least one castle which is next to the sea and can be attacked with ships.
Well i saw that, but what if the enemy simply locks himself on the first island? i can do nothing about it?

also you changed the movetype for military leaders in 4.3.8 but you didn't realized that they can't actually move now.
MRhe

Re: PapaSmurf's MP Maps: New Maps: Seasons World, Archipelago

Post by MRhe »

Hi Papa I just downloaded this era and am testing it out. Very cool! I love the units and all the interesting attacks, traits, etc. Visually very nice. Will have to play a bit to get the hang of all the different new tactics, and I imagine it's only after extensive playtesting that I can really comment on balance.

But I can tell you put a lot of effort and time into this and it's a very impressive era. I love this era historically so it is especially fun for me to play.

Thanks for this contribution!

(Oops this was meant for 18th century warfare thread.)
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.3.9(Final Version)

Pato wrote:
Well i saw that, but what if the enemy simply locks himself on the first island? i can do nothing about it?

also you changed the movetype for military leaders in 4.3.8 but you didn't realized that they can't actually move now.
You can bombard the castle on the shore and take your leader there and recruit units.

I made attacking at occupied island easier.
Fixed the leaders bug, it was a unit cfg file issue, I forgot to write the code of the the movetype.
Gave privateers "Agility".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, if not issues comes up then we can say this is the semi-final version, until the next stable version comes out because I'll need to update some abilities and the village tiles houses, because the 1.7.X as substantially more kinds of villages.

So I hope that 4.40 is going to be the real, last and final, final version, I had thought of adding even more stuff, such as standards, coastal artillery and balloons, among others things, that but that would make the era needlessly complex, it is overdoing it. Though, the sprites I drew for those units will remain in the images folder of the era.

I'm going to try make nice maps which suit this era, for example I'd like to finish my Europe map.

I also thought about making a campaign, for example the American Revolution, but it would require even more time than an era, plus it would have to be historically accurate, and I'm tired of working.

If anyone wants to make a campaign, feel free to do it, no objections, but I'd like to be informed if someone wants to use my era(if someone actually tries to make something along those lines, the odd are that not).

Updated the credits section in the first page.
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on December 30th, 2009, 2:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
PaulInBHC

Post by PaulInBHC »

Looking forward to trying this on the weekend. I'm on call for my job and have a full plate of other game testing but I really want to give yours a good look.
Pato

Post by Pato »

I have some thoughts so share, but don’t think even for a second that I am criticizing your work because I am not, I love you era and I want to share some thoughts that have been going on my head for a while, some of they may work on a hypothetical 5.x version.

If my English sound strange I am sorry, not my native language

About Updates
Spoiler:
About Historical Accuracy
Spoiler:
About Balance
Spoiler:
Advancement
Spoiler:
Looking at the Units
Spoiler:
About Archipelago
Spoiler:
Well I think that's all, Thanks for the attention.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Spoiler:
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on December 30th, 2009, 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pato

Post by Pato »

And even as a joke the kill thing was kinda rude.
:annoyed:
I'm not so sure about that, the game is supposed to end at some point, if he captures an island, it is not supposed to be riskless and easy to land to and start an attack. Though actually the one in trouble is him because you are inside a fort, especially if you had bought artillery.

The map is actually supposed to be dangerous since you have to keep moving your leader around, not just a "capture all, then finish off"
please re-think about it, the way it is now if the enemy comes first and grab the island, there is no way i can challenge his claim, because the moment i step on it to recruit my king is attacked by 3 sides, what i expect to have at least some fighting over the islands

You don't really need to answer back all of my statements, they where more food for thought, But it sounds that you are not really open to suggestions.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Pato wrote:the way it is now if the enemy comes first and grab the island, there is no way i can challenge his claim, because the moment i step on it to recruit my king is attacked by 3 sides, what i expect to have at least some fighting over the islands
Aren't you exagerating a little?
After recruiting you can move leader back to the water or to the bridge and it doesn't get hit from 3 sides, you don't need to end the turn on the keep. Plus both leaders have fortify so their evasion in fortress is 80% and have a bonus of 30% less damage, and they recover 10 hitpoints a turn.

Although cavalry charge attack is powerful, they only have 20% chances of hitting, and they are very vulnerable to artillery and infantry.
Pato

Post by Pato »

The turn you move into the island, you can already recruit two units and be attacked only from one side

3 sides dude, not one.

plus both leaders have fortify so their defense in fortresses is of 80% evasion and 30% less damage, and they recover 10 hitpoints a turn. You'd be at risk only if the enemy had a siege artillery, or veteran siege artilleries. At any rate Foot Artillery has fortify too, and more life than those artilleries.

Thats why i talked about lucky hits, i don't expect this to happen every time, but this prospect can end the game very prematurely, witch is not so cool in an 3p FFA game in my humble opinion, but you know what? i give up.
PapaSmurfReloaded

That's an old post, I looked at the wrong picture, the way are you getting mad at me is silly, so let me explain clearly why not:

Case 1
Spoiler:
Case 2
Spoiler:
Case 3
Spoiler:
Possible Solution
Spoiler:
Many things can happen just "by luck" and make lose a game, you could also miraculously miss all of your attacks and your enemy hit them all. Apparently you just want a win-win situation where it is not possible for the enemy to outsmart you/by luck, corner and kill your leader if you are not careful.

Try to put a little thought and understand before getting mad.
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on December 30th, 2009, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.