Era of the Future Development

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wesfreak

Re: Era of the Future Development

Post by wesfreak »

maybe it could be a flying ray?

I didn't give the crab steadfast when i introdiced it for a reason. just give it good resists. it could be the main fighter of the kind.

they do have some technology. the water spray gun from the dwarf archer unit. it will be edited in if no one posts after this.
I took the names from a monster manual. but that's really all that the units have in comon.

The Dwarf blaster

Code: Select all

#textdomain Era_of_the_Future

[unit_type]
    id=
    name= _ Sea dwarf blaster
    race=Sea dwarf
    gender=male/female
    image=
    {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}
    hitpoints=34
    movement_type=
    movement=4
    experience=28
    level=1
    alignment=neutral
    cost=17
    usage=archer
    description= _ "When they moved underwater, dwarves realised that their thundersticks were now useless. so, using their usual dwarvish ingenuity, they made a different version that ran on water. It's also great for watering your lawn on weaker settings."

#the melee attack(remove if the unit doesn't have a melee attack)
    [attack]
        name=Full blast
        description= _"This weapon can fire a single devestating blast, causing much damage, but only up close. "
        icon=
        type=melee
        range=melee
        #any weapon specials go here inside of a [specials] tag
        damage=20
        number=1
    [/attack]

#the ranged attack(remove if the unit doesn't have a melee attack)
    [attack]
        name=water spray
        description= _"at a ranged, this weapon sprays freezing cold water on the enemy."
        icon=
        type=ranged
        range=
        #any weapon specials go here inside of a [specials] tag
        damage=3
        number=7
    [/attack]
[/unit_type]
This unit can lvl in 2 ways: in one, the dwarf optimises the weapon for melee combat and the ranged damage or strikes don't improve, becoming a mixed fighter.
in another, the dwarf finds a way to refrigirate the water, dealing more cold damage and earning a cold melee atack that has multiple strikes doing less damage, but keeping the impact one.

now that we have a scout, an archer, a defender, a few fighters and a mage, i think (idea wise) we are done with the sea dwarves. We still need artwork and coding, however. I think.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

wesfreak wrote:it will be edited in if no one posts after this.
You can still edit in a post even if someone posts after you.

Also:
Attachments
Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (4.6 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Huston

Post by Huston »

nevermind about making the sea turtle picture. i still am not good enough at drawing to be able to do it from scratch.i'll see about doing a different sprite.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Huston wrote:ok. so crab tank is out. i can easily remove it/ edit it to not be a tank. but i still think it should be a nice little unit. after all what good is a tamer without anything to tame?
What if it was an ability. After the Tamer gains a level he can choose one of a couple of units that we'll say he has tamed and he he can recruit it in an adjacent hex? Rather then having a bunch of units that the Tamers apparently have tamed, even if you haven't used a Tamer.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

mirion mentioned that he wanted to change the magic user line so that they are not magic users, but more similar to gunners. are the sea dwarves going to be changed in that way? it would be good to know today, since i will be gone for friday and saturday and would be able to edit the code for the units.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

those are units that the tamers of the sea dwarves have tamed long in the past, and bred in captivity. they now have a decent supply

i said edite if no one posts because otherwise i will just post again.

or maybe the tamer can have a tame attack: tame: 2-1. if it hits, the enemy unit is tamed by the tamer. works only on monsters. would this be possible? or maybe an ability. for every unit a tamer kills, he can tame a unit. like the summon ability, but more restricted.

also: what is a sprite?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Sprite

The unit images, those are sprites.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

wesfreak wrote:those are units that the tamers of the sea dwarves have tamed long in the past, and bred in captivity. they now have a decent supply

or maybe the tamer can have a tame attack: tame: 2-1. if it hits, the enemy unit is tamed by the tamer. works only on monsters. would this be possible? or maybe an ability. for every unit a tamer kills, he can tame a unit. like the summon ability, but more restricted.
I would like it better if they didn't have the ability to recruit them. I'm good with summoning them and I'm ok with capturing them, but that might throw the balance off though.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Huston

Post by Huston »

i was actually thinking along the same lines as wesfreak. but thinking about it more you do have a good point as for the healer/ magic users i'd say just leave them.(sorry mirion but i kinda think that in the future dwarves could use some magic).

Turuk what's your opinion on whether or not the sea dwarves use magic?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Huston wrote:Turuk what's your opinion on whether or not the sea dwarves use magic?
Maybe some slight water magic, to go along with their evolution to live in the water, but it would be interesting to take a similar concept from the thunderer line and perhaps create a ranged line with a harpoon gun...? Just a thought.
Huston

Post by Huston »

that's not exactly what i meant. sadly mirion was specifically referring to the ocean apprentice line. he is under the impression that people will look down upon the era if we have units that can control the water to a certain extent.

I honestly think it's fine. we can even say they use herb for healing.

do you have any qualms with any of the current units turuk?
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

we have the water mage line.

i was thinking we need a good fighter. we have (kind of ) the angel, which is like a ghost, the crab, which is like a heavy infantry, the turtle which is like a dwarf stalwart. i think we still need a good, strong, sturdy dwarf fighter.

we could have a. an ice/water elemental warrior, a warrior shaped by the magus out of ice for standard infantry.
b. a dwarf in a robot suit for some technology. (3 impact attacks and a bit of ranged (water blasters+ shark teeth shooters)
c. a ripoff of the dwarf fighter/runefighter.

the choice is yours, everyone that contributes 2 this thread (including Turuk
Huston

Post by Huston »

Turuk was the original coder of the welkin. all i did for them was redo the era config files. turuk had coded all the units and stuff.
Mirion, Turuk and Me pretty much all have the same amount of pull,Mirion a little more than me and Turuk because he's the main spriter, but we'll pretty much end up doing whatever 2 out of 3 of us feels ok with(likes)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Huston wrote:that's not exactly what i meant. sadly mirion was specifically referring to the ocean apprentice line. he is under the impression that people will look down upon the era if we have units that can control the water to a certain extent.

I honestly think it's fine. we can even say they use herb for healing.

do you have any qualms with any of the current units turuk?
Ah, well it's up to him, but I would say that people might even expect a little water magic of some kind, so it would not be out of place. I think he just has an issue with dwarves (even sea dwarves) suddenly becoming big magic users.

My only thought on the current units would be to remove the crystal master and make the split for that unit line start at level 2. Given that there is currently no campaign or anything of the sort for this faction, having such high leveled units is out of place if it is used in MP, but there's a slim chance a unit might get to level 3. Just a thought.
Huston

Post by Huston »

ok. well here is the latest version. haven't changed the ocean apprentice line yet. only difference between this one and the last one is it contains a great version of the hunter made by mirion
Attachments
Era_of_the_Future.zip
(647.4 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future