Era of the Future Development

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mirion147

Re: Era of the Future Development

Post by Mirion147 »

Alright, thanks. I'll get to work on it tomorrow probably. I think we should make alternate units for the magic users.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

@what Huston posted on the top of page 2:
i think that having 7-4 for both range and melee and 55hp is very strong offensively for a steadfast unit. 6-4 melee and 5-5 range would be better for a unit that is supposed to be used mostly defensively, otherwise it starts straying into the realm of almost-invincible-tank-units.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Huston

Post by Huston »

ok.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Huston

Post by Huston »

[quote="Huston"]the folowing units exist

Code: Select all

Manta Rider -> Stingray Rider -> Serpent Rider

Dwarvish Hunter -> Dwarvish Huntsman -> Dwarvish HuntsMaster

->  Wave Rider ->  Wave Master
                                                          /   
Ocean Apprentice - - -> Ice Apprentice ->  Crystal Master
                                                          \
                                                            -> Ocean Shaman ->  Ocean Mystic

Baby Sea turtle   -> Sea Turtle  -> Giant Sea Turtle

Amateur Tamer -> Expert Tamer

... ->  ... -> Giant Crab
tahts all of them. here is the zip containing the developement version of the Era of the Future:

Mirion please add any images you do to the file and then repost it so that everyone can take a look at them. i'll continue learning to do the images too. but i guarantee yours will come out better because you have more experience.
Last edited by Huston on July 8th, 2009, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

i downloaded and tested it out. it works fine, but you did the opposite of what i think you meant to for the terrain defenses.

[defense]
		deep_water=50
		shallow_water=60
		swamp_water=40
		flat=30
		sand=30
		forest=30
		hills=50
		mountains=50
		village=60
		castle=60
		cave=50
		tundra=20
		frozen=20
		canyon=60
		cavewall=60
		fungus=30
	[/defense]
this means that the units with this movetype will get 80% on frozen and tundra.

this is what it should be:

[defense]
		deep_water=50
		shallow_water=40
		swamp_water=60
		flat=70
		sand=70
		forest=70
		hills=50
		mountains=50
		village=40
		castle=40
		cave=50
		tundra=80
		frozen=80
		canyon=40
		cavewall=40
		fungus=70
	[/defense]
sorry about this, i kinda missed it when you asked on the other thread. my mind has a tendency to assume movetypes work the opposite of how they actually do.

also, instead of making movetypes that are slightly different from existing ones, you can simply add the specific changes to that unit.
ex.:

[resistance]
        pierce=X
    [/resistance]
    [movement_costs]
        fungus=Y
    [/movement_costs]
    [defense]
        fungus=Z
    [/defense]
just put whatever modifications you want directly underneath the unit description.
Huston

Post by Huston »

well pentarctagon. if you could fix it and reupload the new zip file i's appreciate it. my computer that has the speed to upload the file is already shutdown for the night. if not, i'll fix it later today
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

ok, here's the new version. btw, i edited the resistances in the sea_dwarf_foot and Ocean_Riders.cfg so that they were standard dwarf resistances and gave the ice apprentice/crystal master their unique resistances, since it didn't make sense for all of them to have 60% cold resistance and -20% fire weakness.

Edit: removed it since you put a newer version in your post.
Last edited by Pentarctagon on July 8th, 2009, 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Huston

Post by Huston »

ok. thanks for fixing it.
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

no problem, it was my fault for giving you bad info in the first place anyway, so i should be the one to fix it.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

don't give the crab steadfast. that's the turtle's thing.

also, u made the giant crab lvl 3 when it does lvl 1 melee damage and lvl 1 ranged damage. and has steadfast. also, could someone teach me the resists, and how 2 write them and read them?

my idea on the crab was 2 use it as a sort of basic infantry. to compare 2 loyalist, it would be a HI. The manta would be a merman. we need an actual dwarf fighter.

a problem: these guys don't seem 2 have much fire or arcane. maybe we could give the dwarf shamen arcane? i have a unit coming up later 2day to make fire.

i hope u guys don't mind having 2 transfer my stuff from the forum. I don't know how :(

l8ter 2day: Angel of the deep and his tree, and if i have time, an archer type. (dwarf with a hose that sprays people afar for some ranged cold damage and unleashes a blast of water up close.)

I don't think it makes sense using whip long ranged: when u compare that 2 an archer, it would be like that whip reaching a longbowman standing 2 far for any melee 2 hit. but then again, dwarves before use hatchets, and that's not much better....

on an unrelated note, maybe a priest type unit?
Huston

Post by Huston »

Wesfreak. i'm leaving it with steadfast or i'm going to create a modified version of steadfast called ARMORED. which will basically be a steadfast only instead of raising the chance to dodge to 50 it will reduce damage recieved by maybe 5%
as for the whip, someone who is an expert at using a whip can hit stuff about 40 feet away from them, if they have the right length whip.

the following units exist now. also we need 2 more unit lines only to make it even with the Welkin.

Manta Rider -> Stingray Rider -> Serpent Rider

Dwarvish Hunter -> Dwarvish Huntsman -> Dwarvish HuntsMaster

->  Wave Rider ->  Wave Master
                                                          /   
Ocean Apprentice - - -> Ice Apprentice ->  Crystal Master
                                                          \
                                                            -> Ocean Shaman ->  Ocean Mystic

Baby Sea turtle   -> Sea Turtle  -> Giant Sea Turtle

Amateur Tamer -> Expert Tamer

Crab ->  Overgrown Crab -> Giant Crab
thats all of them so far. I have balanced the sea turtle line with the crab line(since they are both tank units essentially, and their alignments are opposite it seemed right to balance them. Here is the zip containing the development version of the Era of the Future:

I'm dubbing this release Dev. Version 0.0.7
this release does incorporate Pentarctagon's fix to the Movement Types.
This release also contains a bugfix for the sea dwarves main faction file.
Era_of_the_Future.zip
If you replace the Era of the future in your userdata folder with this one it is playable. however it is missing pretty much all of the graphics for the sea dwarves.
(642.2 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Mirion please add any images you do to the file and then repost it so that everyone can take a look at them. i'll continue learning to do the images too. but i guarantee yours will come out better because you have more experience.
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

then make the sea turtle a defense tank, for holding position, and the crab an offence tank. give it dreadnaught (however u spell it). i was thinking giant crab, monster crab, war crab, but i guess this works 2.

Here is the angel line, 2 give them some arcane and fire amage.
#textdomain Era_of_the_Future

[unit_type]
    id=
    name= _Angel of the Deep
    race=Sea dwarves
    gender=
    image=
    {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}
    hitpoints=20
    movement_type=
    movement=7
    experience=18
    level=1
    alignment=lawful
    cost=20
    usage=
    description= _ "The sea gods reward the ennering faith of the dwarves by sending them help in time of great need. these minor angels are sometimes seen fighting alongside sea dwarf armies."

#the melee attack(remove if the unit doesn't have a melee attack)
    [attack]
        name=blessed sword
        description= _"A sword made of arcane light"
        icon=
        type=melee
        range=melee
        #any weapon specials go here inside of a [specials] tag 
        damage=6
        number=3
    [/attack]

#the ranged attack(remove if the unit doesn't have a melee attack)
    [attack]
        name=lightbeam
        description= _"a beam of blessed light smights foes from afar."
        icon=
        type=ranged
        range=
        #any weapon specials go here inside of a [specials] tag
        damage=4
        number=3
    [/attack]
[/unit_type]
filled out all i can.

the tree: he can lvl up into angel of vengence, angel of valour or angel of battle. (stole these names, hope that's ok)

angel of vengence carries a blade of holy fire, and his attacks have counter. (revenge for being hit) and has decent ranged, still arcane. He doesn't lvl. i was thinking he could have an ability called vengence, where any unit that kills him takes damage (or is killed).

angel of valour keeps arcane damage, and angel of battle has the best melee.
all of these guys have 60 def in water and 50% everywhere else.
Huston

Post by Huston »

wesfreak wrote:
the tree: he can lvl up into angel of vengence, angel of valour or angel of battle. (stole these names, hope that's ok)
that depends where'd you get them from?

EDIT: Way got one sprite done. at the very least it will be the base image for the Dwarvish Hunter.
Here it is.
Here it is.
Dwarvish-Hunter2.png (1.85 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
Also Turuk if you can go through the units and make better descriptions. Please do.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Alright first of all, I think it would be better if the dwarves were a technologically advanced. Also, I'm not liking this two animal tank thing. I'm not really that big of a fan of both but I can live with one, I think that the crab should be traded for a dwarven tank unit.

I also have a question, Stingrays and such can't walk on land, so how would such units get around on land?

I think another line could be added to the hunter line so as can use the spear as a ranged weapon rather then start using a net.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Huston

Post by Huston »

Mirion147 wrote:Alright first of all, I think it would be better if the dwarves were a technologically advanced. Also, I'm not liking this two animal tank thing. I'm not really that big of a fan of both but I can live with one, I think that the crab should be traded for a dwarven tank unit.
ok. so crab tank is out. i can easily remove it/ edit it to not be a tank. but i still think it should be a nice little unit. after all what good is a tamer without anything to tame?
Mirion147 wrote: I also have a question, Stingrays and such can't walk on land, so how would such units get around on land?
I don't know. but i do know the sea serpent can. also if we prohibit it from going on land we'll have to include a bunch of maps with the era in order to make the riding line feasible.
Mirion147 wrote: I think another line could be added to the hunter line so as can use the spear as a ranged weapon rather then start using a net.
so have the level 1 hunter advance to either a spear and net user and just a spear user?*scratches head* ok. i'll code that up as soon as i get a chance.

the next sprite i was going to try and do was the sea turtle line. is that ok with you mirion? oh and what do you think of the sprite mirion?