Era of the Future Development

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wesfreak

Re: Era of the Future Development

Post by wesfreak »

we could say they use runes.

did u approve my ideas on the ocean angel and dwarvish blaster?
Huston

Post by Huston »

The blaster line i'm ok with. the ocean angel line you stole names for i can't allow unless the names were not copywritten.

You now need either Turuk's approval or Mirion's approval.

EDIT: I mean i like the concept. you need to add the weapon descriptions though and make it into a feasable idea. that everyone will like.
Last edited by Huston on July 9th, 2009, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I am entirely at a loss at how the weapon now functions on water. Perhaps if the description for the blaster had something about the use of runic magic or some reason, otherwise it just seems inconceivable.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
melinath

Post by melinath »

Spring-loaded?
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

like the power hose that the firemen use, exept with a portable water tank. put a cooler in the water tank for colder water, increase the pressure for a stronger blast.

i should have said one that fires blasts of water, rather than one that functions on water. my bad.

also, to my awareness, u can't copyright names. just characteristics.
how bout angel of pain instead of battle and angel of honour instead of valour?
the angel of honour can advance into angel of glory and angel of pain can become angel of agony.

angel of vengence, which doesn't lvl, can be the angel of reprisal.

thank you, thesaurus.com

the units:

if the stingray line is to be the main fighter, it is much 2 weak. i think they would do better as a scout. nothing much needs to be changed, just movement. at lvl 2, it does as much melee as a strong spearman. it's not meant 2 be a fighter.

change iceball from ice apprentice into an ice hammer.
for the wave master, 12-3 damage is a little weak. Most of the non samanic mages r underpowered, if you ask me.

the turtles look good, but i can't find the resists (among other things) for most of the units. Make sure they have good resists. just adding this because the welkin steadfast soldier barely had any, which defeated the purpose.

give the crab better melee and worse ranged. we have enough units that are normal at both, but not many that are good at one. start it off with 9-2 melee and keep the ranged at 4-3. increase the melee to 16-2 at lvl 2 but keep the ranged as it is (this is not overpowered: shock trooper has 19-2.) and at lvl 3 move it up to 23-2 but don't improve the ranged. this seems fair 2 me, but if you disagree make the damage equal to that of the troll.
Last edited by wesfreak on July 9th, 2009, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huston

Post by Huston »

wesfreak. you still say you don't know know what goes where when you post new units. you also have yet to change the description for the weapons yet. did you compare the config file of the giant crab to what you had posted so that you know what goes where?

if not. do so. and if you have please redo the your post with the unit coding for the blaster guy.(put in weapon descriptions and stuff like that.)
this way we can judge it easier.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

dwarf blaster (doing the lvl ups as well) do u want the movement and resists and stuff 2?

Code: Select all

#textdomain Era_of_the_Future

[unit_type]
    id=Sea_Dwarvish blaster
    name= _Dwarvish blaster
    race=Sea_Dwarf
    gender=male/female
    image=
    {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}
    hitpoints=34
    movement_type=Sea_Dwarf_Foot
    movement=5
    experience=32
    level=1
    alignment=neutral
    cost=17
    usage=archer
    description= _ "The thunderstick becoming inpractical underwater, the resourcefull dwarves modified it greatly so that sucked up water from the surroundings and shot it out at threatining sea creatures, while propelling the dwarf away. The device only had to be modified to store it's own water for practical use as land weaponry. The device can spray a lethal blast at close ranged, but it's primary use is to spray frozen water at enemies for affar."

#the melee attack(remove if the unit doesn't have a melee attack)
    [attack]
        name=Water blast
        description= _"this feels very similar to belly flopping in the pool from a high diving board."
        icon=
        type=impact
        range=melee
        #any weapon specials go here inside of a [specials] tag
        damage=18
        number=1
    [/attack]

#the ranged attack(remove if the unit doesn't have a melee attack)
    [attack]
        name=water spray
        description= _"a sub zero shower on a freezing cold night is not something you would want to ask for. The dwarves give it to you anyways."
        icon=
        type=cold
        range=ranged
        damage=3
        number=7
    [/attack]
[/unit_type]

Here is the code for a new possible advancement:

#textdomain Era_of_the_Future

[unit_type]
    id=Dwarvish water tank
    name= _Dwarvish water tank
    race=Sea Dwarf
    gender=male/female
    image=
    {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}
    hitpoints=50
    movement_type=Sea Dwarf Foot
    movement=5
    experience=50
    level=1
    alignment=neutral
    cost=34
    usage=mixed fighter
    description= _ "Dwarves love to tinker with their water cannons. these dwarves want to fire more full tank blasts, so add another tank of water. The combined weight of the contraption is too much to cary for the strongest dwarf, so they make a cart to haul it around. Eventually this becomes tiring, so they add motor propulsion to the cart. Their overall speed is greatly decreased because of the combined weight of dwarf and water."

#the melee attack(remove if the unit doesn't have a melee attack)
    [attack]
        name=Water blast
        description= _"A wall of water, coming to flaten you. weight, here comes another! "
        icon=
        type=impact
        range=melee
        damage=18
        number=2
    [/attack]

#the ranged attack(remove if the unit doesn't have a melee attack)
    [attack]
        name=water spray 
        description= _"a longer spray of cold water"
        icon=
        type=cold
        range=ranged
        damage=3
        number=12
    [/attack]
[/unit_type]
I was thinking this unit could be chaotic, because cold water is colder at night. but that's the weapon, not the unit.

if you think this advancement is too strong, tone it down a bit.
Last edited by wesfreak on July 9th, 2009, 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Huston

Post by Huston »

Much better. now these units are feasable. what are your opinions on them Turuk and Mirion?

By the way wesfreak i'd put the code into

tags before turuk does it for you
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

i thought it happened automatically. didn't notice that tag :oops:

u want me 2 do the rest of the tree, or u want 2 do it like before?
Huston

Post by Huston »

feel free to do it if you want to.

oh btw i forgot a tag(if you can call it that). right above description add in the line:

advances_to=
then put down what the unit advances to. if it doesn't advance to anything it should equal

null
example:

advances_to=null
this would tell the game that the unit doesn't advance to anything
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I like the idea of the blaster unit, but I need to figure out more how it works first before I give my OK. I'm kind of confused as where these "angel" units came in, and tbh am not at all crazy about having "angel" in the names, and I don't really understand their position in the faction, but I haven't spent much time looking at them so I have to work on that.

[EDIT] I don't that the dwarves would have the ability to freeze water just yet, so I don't think that it's a very good idea...
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

i read in the discription that the sea dwarves were closely affiliated with the gods of the sea. I was thinking that the sea god would reward their faith by sending an angel in times of need. now that i think about it, they should probably have minor healing..

The dwarvish blaster mechanism is basically a fireman's hose, but more powerfull. Like a bolt in a submarine popping out while it's too far under, unleashing a spray of water that is lethal up close. (i think)

the dwarf using the cannon would twist a valve and pump out water. like a hose it has different settings: a cold spray, which isn't very powerfull but is very cold, so it does cold damage, and up close it pumps out a large amount of water very quickly for maximum power. like aiming a power hose at your face, or doing a belly flop from a high diving board.

more units:

something i just thought of: some dwarves couldn't accept the change from mountains to water. They were slowly but surely driven insane. They started commiting mass suicides. The high council desperately saught to find a way to stop it, and, at last, they did. They suggested to the dwarves to take out as many enemies as they could, that the enemies were to blame for driving them underwater, not themselves. So now these dwarves strive blindly and relentlessly to kill the enemy. This is how Dwarvish Slaughterers were born.

Dwarvish slaughterers: basically ulfeserkers who use their fists rather then an axe.

The advancements: dwarvish destroyers and dwarvish runekillers. The runekillers are dwarves who would still rather hurt themselves, so they pick up a flail and charge at the enemy. their attacks have beserk and charge. The council, not wanting to lose their best soldiers, give them enchanted runic weapons that drain the life out of the enemy to heal the dwarf. These are, to say the least, not willingly accepted.

the result: dwarves with charge, beserk, drain that will probably die as soon as they attack a ghost.

dwarvish destroyers are basically the same with better damage and hp.

I also think we should have a fighter that lvls up to have leadership.

sea dwarf fighter-->sea dwarf council member-->sea dwarf lord
Last edited by wesfreak on July 9th, 2009, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Where is this description you speak of?

How would they make the water very cold?
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

They are from the deep sea. the water down there is freezing, just like in any natural source (river, stream, ocean).

If they chose to do stronger cold damage, they tinker with the device to refrigerate the water while it's in the tank.

looking for description now. i forgot where i saw it :mrgreen:

edit: can't find it. Huston, u've seen it, haven't u?

if this isn't part of the actual discription, just through that in there. or no angels. either one
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

If there's no discription I'll fiddle around with it and then converse with Huston so he can add what he wants to it and we'll continue our work off of that.

That would mean that they have the technology to cool the water, which I doubt. Cooling units are modern technology, unless you live in cool places, which I don't see the Sea Dwarves as doing.

I'm willing to go along with the shooting water held in a tank by the dwarf (and am even willing to go along with them [in later levels] having the ability that grants them an extra attack on a water hex[EX. 3-3 turns to 3-4 in water]) But when It comes to cooling the water, or freezing it, then I'm not for it.