Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.33

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.21

Post by octalot »

A collection of confusing facts:

In mainline: 1.14's UtBS has diverged heavily from 1.12, the 1.14 UtBS Quenoth Elves are a different set of elves than 1.12 UtBS' Desert Elves.

In AE: it seems there are already two versions of the Desert Elves in AE - one in units/misc_units/desert-elves and one (that has more units) in units/EoC_units/elves-quenoth. Both of these are based on the Desert Elves, the elves-quenoth aren't the 1.14 UtBS Quenoth Elves.

In Wesnoth 1.16: in #3414, CelticMinstrel is suggesting moving the units from the UtBS campaign to core. I've suggested that he should make a resource pack add-on for 1.14 that other add-ons could depend on, containing the units that were added to 1.16's core.
IPS

Post by IPS »

This is a somehow large list of possibly upcoming changes to balance in ageless. On here there are the most wanted changes by me, some of them being considerably exigent with hard reworks that needs extreme care with not setting something wrong. If many of those are coded rightly the balance improvement on there can be huge and ageless can feel much more fresh.

Here a quick resume of the suggested changes:

1.- Ageless RPG potential adjustment
Some special cases of units (mostly at era of magic) that are still doing brutally good in RPG scenario and being easy picks. Same can be said if those units are played in orocia or similar maps in which you can stack more upgrades.
2.- Calydonian movetypes might be much better, stronger calydonians
Calydonians is the only faction that is unplayable if the map abuses of terrains like sand, cave and other because of having terrible movement costs and defenses on such tiles. Calydonians need an important buff in this aspect apart of higher cost efficiency by being moderately stronger.
3.- Orchs Khanagates buff / Shielders absolute rework
This faction feels weak, 5 units, no scouts (hunters now will be their scouts) and now they will have access to a more stable pierce damage at lv1. Shielders considerable nerf via rework. Many other lines will get buff.
4.- Desert Elves new units / balance adjustements
Some units at desert elves are ridiculously OP (9 movement scout that is 7-5 blade mele + skirmisher LOL), apart of adapting the faction to have better performance when dealing versus undead and knalgan aliance.
5.- Archaic Menagerie adjustments
Better movement at randomly generated maps in some units, blue novice and advancement moderate buffs, an attempt/try of reworking dancer and madam. Other changes.
6.- Primevalist nerfs
Lv1 primevalist will have as nerf regenerates +6 at lv1 and lower resistances and higher XP to advance to Lv3. Many damage reductions at already broken units like firewheels and a long list of upcoming nerfs.
7.- Yokais
Want to try some reworks to some lines like poltergeists, rebel swarm, and some adjustment to other units.
8.- Anakes buffs
Anakes is likely to be one of weakest plague factions in whole ageless, apart of having weird cases of lv3 with lower resistances than their previous level...
9.- Wood Warriors adjustments: A short list of wanted changes.
10.- Despair
Will have better movetypes at random generated terrains and some adjustment to some other stats.
11.- South seas buff
From archaic era, they're the only faction that feels more to default like (being notably weaker than all other archaic era factions). Seahag has been overbuffed previously so she will get a counter nerf. Upcoming improvement of balance to suit better in all game-modes.
12.- Frozen human miscelanous adjustments: Not that much can be said from here except the shield guardian rework.
13.- Ancient Phantom adjustments
Disperse buffs around archers and other lines, proposal to fix the unwanted 60% defense at hills/forest/mushroom at most lines, mummies nerfs and spirit moderate damage nerf.
14.- High Elves important adjustments
Important nerfs to faerie warrior and his lv2 advancement, spearman nerf, and other important adjustments.
15.- Sylvan considerable adjustments
Balancing units that actually aren't balanced, disperse nerfs mostly in non default units because of being overpowered. Few buffs at fire faerie.

The list of changes was slightly longer, but these are the most wanted changes. Still, that's a lot to implement at here.
Attachments
Ageless 4.22 balance feedback.txt
(75.6 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

IPS, what will happen to the duplication between Desert Elves and EoC Quenoth Elves?
IPS

Post by IPS »

Yet, I have no idea at all, but the desert elves suggestion can be left as optional in any case.

Still, actual desert elves perform a way worse than default factions against certain matchups from default era like undead and knalgan for example by lacking mages or even source of impact damage.

The duplication happened already in EE - Chaos and EoC - Chaos Legion and there are no regrets at all with that. Both faction have the same invaders, diferent versions of invokers and headhunters; sharing some units with different attack types (EE's invoker is 10-2 cold while EoC invoker is 6-3 arcane).

I do not see the duplication as a problem, also it's hard to implement new units from zero. I once had in mind about desert brave that has a club and a sling, that deals fewer damage than fighters but are slightly cheaper but not more cost efficient.

But, desert elves are mostly blade damage and in second place only pierce, and a faction with only these 2 attack types cannot work well at all. They have shaman that has very poor impact damage but is not enough to counter units like heavy infantry or skeletons. They don't have any line breakers which difficult to overtake enemy defensive positions.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
woseshaman

Post by woseshaman »

A couple bugs i noticed:
1. Eternal Era -> Centaurs -> Arch-Priestess: The weapon special "holy" is supposed to work only against undead enemies, but currently is always active. fixed
2. Eternal Era -> Fallen : The weapon special "consume + x" doesn't actually do anything. It shows green text as if healing was done, but the hp doesn't actually change. fixed

(3. Kinda minor... but the exp modification changes a couple units to have a fixed amount of strikes on certain attacks (such as the omen line and air gods), which overrides weapon specials such as the EoMa's no-counter-attack and Deep elves' trample weapon specials, which are supposed to prevent enemies from counterattacking). intended that way, most such attacks have upgradable alternative without some specials
Last edited by Ravana on December 31st, 2018, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added bugs current status
IPS

Post by IPS »

Aditional feedback:

All nordhiris have as impasable coastal rift terrain. fixed
And for some reason, a poisoned unit is immune to bleed, while a bleed unit can be poisoned.

These 2 things may be adjusted.
Last edited by Ravana on December 31st, 2018, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added bugs current status
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I think it was that way because usually poison does more damage then bleeding.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Is it intentional that thrallment doesn't work in defense? because it won't work if the unit is slain at enemy turn from retaliation.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Yes. Initially it was so horribly powerful that I did limit it in every way I could think of.
IPS

Post by IPS »

It should at least say in its description that it won't work in retaliation. So players will not count in that to happen when playing versus AI hordes.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Any news in ageless development?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Anything that would happen would be visible from https://github.com/ProditorMagnus/Agele ... its/master. Currently I dont have any real plans. EoMa corpse events should be fixed, but no idea why they are broken. When there is EoMa release, then I will also have ageless release, but I havent heard any plans for it either.
IPS

Post by IPS »

After thinking it a while, would you agree to fuse EoC - Quenoth and AE - Desert elves to make one desert elves for Ageless? I've thinking that having 2 factions of desert elves difficults the creation newer desert factions. Also I would like to do a general overview to sand terrain factions because same as frozen ones they're very strong by having 1 MP cost at those tiles and additionally higher defense. The result would end as AE - Quenoth Elves

If you're agree with this, the changes would be the following:
1.- Quenoth elves would gain some of desert elves (fighters, archers and more) properties to their default like lines.
examples:
a) Quenoth Fighters (can) be 50% sand/forest defense and 1 MP cost at both, 6-4 blade mele and 2-3 pierce ranged, lawful aligment and costing 15g. Being the ones that can advance to Quenoth Captain or Quenoth Hero
b) Quenoth Archers (can) be 60% sand/forest defense and 1 MP cost at both, 6-2 blade mele & 4-4 pierce ranged, lawful aligment, costing 15g too.
c) The resulting faction would maintain both Quenoth Mystic as damage dealer. While mantaining a **Quenoth Shaman** that for a supportive role.
d) The resulting faction will not have any of Quenoth HUnters or Desert hunters lines; by having desert shaman that already has slows. Desert lurker line would be eliminated as well.
2.- They would recruit Naga fighters, Naga guardians and Naga Hunters instead of mermen.

Final result:
One desert elves themed faction that has more units, that is complete and that isn't repeated but with other name; with units and builds that can be more differentiated from Sylvans.

If you agree, I can work in a whole .txt explaining all in mind ideas for this !!
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I would say that 6-4 with ranged costing 15 is too strong.

I would rather keep hunter than shaman to keep it more different from default.

I agree with merge, but I dont find implementing most of those changes(meaning basic attribute values) interesting anymore, it would take someone to modify unit files not just write it to txt.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Alright, for the momment I would be creating a .txt file and implementing changes with the help of Ghype for Desert/Quenoth merge.

This post will be edited for all Quenoth proposals.