1940: European Theatre "LITE" RELEASE!!! Dload @ Page 3

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

panzervb

1940: European Theatre "LITE" RELEASE!!! Dload @ Page 3

Post by panzervb »

CURRENT STAGE: PUBLIC BETA
DOWNLOAD AT PAGE 3
1940: European Theatre is an era based on the German invasion of France during 1940. This era is currently in development by panzervb. This era features period-accurate units from 3 sides: the heavily armoured German Wehrmacht, the highly-trained professional soldiers of the British Expeditionary Force, and the numerous French Army.

CURRENT STAGE: UNIT IMPLEMENTATION, BALANCE, LITE RELEASE
[/color]
This is the unit list:
French Army
Uses numbers and hit-and-run tactics. The French Army uses their cheap units to overwhelm their enemies. They have excess to the most powerful tank in the era: the mighty Char 2C.

Schneider 155C cannon*
Renault FT-17*
Somua S-35*
Renault R-35*
Char B1(bis)*
Char 2C*
General-purpose Infantry*

Wehrmacht
Uses heavy armour for brute force tactics. The Wehrmacht lacks in numbers and mobility, being compensated by armour and firepower.

Panzer II*
Panzer III*
Sd.Kfz 250*
Panzer IV*
LeFH 18*
Panzergrenadier*
Sturminfantrie*

British Expeditionary Force
The British Expeditionary Force finds balance in mobility, armour and firepower. This is the ideal side for any new player, having the best infantry in the game and adequate tanks. They have little variety in their arsenal, however, as they are a foreign power.

Matilda *
Tetrarch*
QF 25 Pounder*
General-purpose infantry*

PLAY GUIDE:
1940: European Theatre is a "The Battle for Wesnoth" era. This era aims to simulate the 1940 German invasion of France during the early stages of World War Two. As accuracy is priority, this era lacks variety found in other eras. This era is presented in a tactical scale. On the battlefield, you would see tanks, armoured cars and infantry clashing against each other for total domination.

Gameplay is basically like this: you start with your leader: a field headquarters. You use the field headquarters to deploy units on the battlefield. You use your units to attack with the objective is to kill their headquarters. Basically this is like Wesnoth. Just remember you cannot "spam" powerful units as much as in Wesnoth. Plus, there are no advancements in this era. The HQ is the weakest unit int he era so you really need to protect it, and unlike in Wesnoth, the HQ simply cannot protect itself properly.

UNIT TYPES

Armoured cars: Armoured cars (Sd.Kfz 250) are used to attack infantry and capture villages on the map. They are lightly armoured but fast, making them the ideal scouting unit.

Infantry: The infantry type is divided into 2 sub-classes: General-purpose infantry and support infantry. General-purpose are cheap whereas support infantry (Sturminfantrie) have the ability to inflict more damage at the cost of price.

Tanks: Tanks rarely do appear on the battlefield, given their enormous price, but once they do, it is best to destroy it quickly. Tanks are divided to 4 sub-classes: Super-heavy tanks, heavy tanks, medium tanks and light tanks. Light tanks are like substitudes for armoured cars, and they can stay longer on the battlefield, given they have better armament and armour than armoured cars. Medium tanks, like the SOMUA S-35 and the Renault R-35 find balance in speed, armour and armament. Heavy tanks are a true menace; heavily armoured, these tanks are designed to break through stalemates. The mighty super-heavy tank, the Char 2C, is rarely seen on the battlefield, as the cost to deploy them is astonishing.

Artillery: Artillery have the highest hitting power on the battlefield, able to knock-out even the Char 2C with a single blow. As they are expensive to field, slow and vulnerable, they are not a frequent sight on the battlefield.

ARTILLERY: What's the use?

Artillery is slow, vulnerable and expensive. What are they doing in this era? Wasting space?
Artillery, although slow, vulnerable and expensive, as aforementioned, are able to destroy the heaviest enemy armour. They are best used at the opening stages of an assault; destroying key targets before your tanks move in. Use artillery at your own risk, however. You never know if they enemy has a Tetrarch or a Sd.Kfz 250 behind their lines....

FT-17: What on earth!?

The FT-17 is the second weakest unit in the era. Designed during World War One, they are extremely slow, lagging behind infantry. Despite that, the FT-17 can be used to delay an enemy assault, or protecting you leader by blocking their paths.

*Unit finished.
**The unit list is not final. Expect further addition or removal of units.
*** Green:In progress
*** Black:Done
*** Red:Not started
****Currently I'll be concentrating for a "Lite" release that won't include animations or sounds. After the "Lite" release then I'll be making animations and sounds.
Last edited by panzervb on February 15th, 2009, 8:48 am, edited 22 times in total.
Author of 1940:European Theatre era.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: A era and faction(s) idea

Post by turin »

I think trying to emulate any technology above medieval/Renaissance level in Wesnoth is really difficult, for an obvious reason - there are no multi-hex ranged attacks. It's odd, but not totally incomprehensible, that bowmen can only fire at units in adjacent hexes; it makes no sense at all, I think, for WWII-level technology.

So, no, I don't think it's really possible to adapt Wesnoth's mechanics to a WWII, or space-age, or really anything past medieval, setting.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:I think trying to emulate any technology above medieval/Renaissance level in Wesnoth is really difficult, for an obvious reason - there are no multi-hex ranged attacks. It's odd, but not totally incomprehensible, that bowmen can only fire at units in adjacent hexes; it makes no sense at all, I think, for WWII-level technology.

So, no, I don't think it's really possible to adapt Wesnoth's mechanics to a WWII, or space-age, or really anything past medieval, setting.
I disagree. It's entirely possible, you just have to keep things abstract enough. There'd be nothing strange if each unit was "an army" or "a fleet" or something very general like that, but obviously it'd be silly if it was more like "this guy here is my sniper, he'll snipe that machinegunner now" because of the lack of ranged attacks, etc. Wesnoth's engine is perfectly capable of both, so it's just a matter of which one you pick (or of course you can go for something in between those extremes, too).

Of course, in this particular instance the units seem to very strongly lean towards "this guy here is my sniper", so I don't think it'd work out well.
panzervb

Post by panzervb »

<deleted useless information here>
Last edited by panzervb on February 8th, 2009, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

Concerning the range of attacks, there is no problem with Advance Wars which is WWII, square based and with no multi-squared attacks. We already make unconscious efforts of abstraction to deal with the range in Wesnoth when it's under medieval/fantasy context, this shouldn't be a problem for WWII context, even with artillery.

The graphic context about villages, bridges, cobblestone road, etc... plus the arts to do for units are a problem. This is a huge amount of work with no benefit other than play in another context. Unless you want to modify gameplay which then also requires some efforts of thinking and coding.

Edit : The sprite you're using, although not wesnoth stylish, is of an impressive technical quality. Sorry for being suspicious here, but in case of : important note, you're not allowed to use contents from another source like copying Red Alert (just an exemple) sprites or alike, if you were intending to do so for your era.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Wait, doesn't the Wesnoth engine have multihex attack capabilities, it's just that the AIs can't use them? Or was that removed? I seem to recall a watch tower whose attack hit two or three squares away (It was the one that look rather oriental, and had a very strange angle going on).
Actually, if it wasn't removed, writing an AI that could use multihex attacks could be rather interesting...
Another question on them. If they are still around, can a unit that is attacked from several hexes away retaliate, provided that it has the capability to attack that far, as well? For Wesnoth purposes, I imagine that would be a good thing, but for this particular era, I can see how you would not want that to happen...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The original multi-hex attacks were removed somewhere before 1.0 (0.8.6 or something), they can be simulated using [set_menu_item], but obviously the AI is oblivious of that.
EcoRI

Post by EcoRI »

Concerning the range of attacks, there is no problem with Advance Wars which is WWII, square based and with no multi-squared attacks.
For what it's worth, advance wars was full of multi-square ranged units.

Wesnoth already has plenty of issues with distance. If we assume that the average human walks 3 miles per hour in real life (a little slow) and average humans move 5 flat hexes per turn in wesnoth, and a turn takes four hours (by division of the day), then each hex is over two miles across.

By altering the size that a unit is supposed to be, I do think you might be able to make this work. The scale would have to be huge to work the range of an artillery unit into one hex.

And that's my two cents.
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:I think trying to emulate any technology above medieval/Renaissance level in Wesnoth is really difficult, for an obvious reason - there are no multi-hex ranged attacks. It's odd, but not totally incomprehensible, that bowmen can only fire at units in adjacent hexes; it makes no sense at all, I think, for WWII-level technology.

HAPMA - or whatever that acronym is. But I agree with the sarcastic reply already made. I don't know why multi-hex attacks would be necessary for this...I mean even in Civ you have to be next to a unit to attack it. Artillery just gets a no retal bombardment. You could easily set a range=artillery and have it either retal against all other artilleries, or you could set each faction's artillery to a different variable**, or you could try to code a 'no retal' weapon special. It's entirely possible to get away with a few things here - as if it were necessary to begin with. I mean, I have hardly ever read of longbowmen being counter-attacked by the slings of footpads before.

**the factions would retal against itself in mirror matches, unless mirror matches are disallowed.
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

EcoRI wrote:
Concerning the range of attacks, there is no problem with Advance Wars which is WWII, square based and with no multi-squared attacks.
For what it's worth, advance wars was full of multi-square ranged units.
Huh... yeah, for some reason I was thinking of all these tanks, planes, copters, and completly forgot there was also not numerous but fundamental for gameplay multi-square ranged weaponry. This example is partly flawed, sorry :oops:
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
panzervb

Post by panzervb »

Last edited by panzervb on February 8th, 2009, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

It's okay so long as the image was GPL--You made sure it was, yes?

Actually, in civ 3, you have units with multihex bombards. The battleship has a range of two or three, for instance. And then, bombing runs function as a bombard attack with very long range--However, I agree on the "multihex attacks are unnecessary" point. Let's not kill gameplay for the sake of realism. I seem to recall someone (Was it scott?) saying that "men can be made to live on Venus, if it helps gameplay"--I mean, when was the last time you saw Solid Snake give up and call in the fighter planes because getting hit by a missile off a Hind D and surviving just doesn't happen? ;)
I only brought up the multihex attacks thing because I'd be interested in playing around with AI support for it if it still existed.

@AI: 0.8.6? Wow, I've been around longer than I thought. You sure it wasn't 0.9? I could of sworn I had those units in a custom map for a few versions after I got the game.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

panzervb

Post by panzervb »

Last edited by panzervb on February 8th, 2009, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

That could be interesting--But wouldn't it be simpler to just have the player call in the bombards?
Actually, what you could do is have a "bombard counter" for each player--Each artillery piece or plane they have in their standing army provides some amount, and each turn they can bombard a few different areas. The farther away the bombarded hex, the greater the cost to bombard it.
...Speaking of planes, I wonder how you'd want to handle refueling them... Maybe make it so they need to be on a castle or village at the end of the turn, or they die?
Anyway, this is shaping up to sound more and more interesting. I look forward to seeing where you go with it.

(Edit: added in a mysteriously missing word)