BEEM - Balancing Extended Era Modification v3.3.2

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Voodoo

Re: BEEM - Balancing Extended Era Modification v1.3.1

Post by Voodoo »

Divine Crusader wrote:I don't see why must you remove certain units like Naga guardian from the naga faction.
I wouldn't mind seeing some units of your own in this era.
Overall,this rocks.I will keep tracking down your update and perhaps i will try to give you good feed back.
I removed some water units from Loyalists, Sylvans and Northernert becouse they were too versatile! They could choose, for example, between blade and impact water units. Too easy for them :D

On my (and my helpers) own, you can see the Calydonians faction for example, it's quite new! Other new units are the advancement of the Blood Bat, Lizard Master and a couple of units in the Elementals.

And soon it will be avaible another completely new faction..... ;)

Thanks for your help and I hope you'll enjoy it :)
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

Rex Umbrarum wrote:without a level 1 magic-like unit, the Kalifa will have trouble dealing with an intrenched enemy.
I'm still thinking about this.... Also Northerners, Dwarves, Lavinians, Calydonians and Clockwork Dwarves don't have magic-like attacks.... I'll check if Kalifa are still ok or not.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I don't know about the non-default ones, but northerners have poison, which can substitute for magic, and knalgans have both ulfs and the ability to wait someone out.
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

MMmh you are right.
In this case I can't add magic or berserk attacks. And if I add a SLOW attack to the Amir? It would help him in defence..
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

I think the demonologist needs an HP increase. 45 HP for a L3 unit is quite low.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
Rex Umbrarum

Post by Rex Umbrarum »

A Guy wrote:I think the demonologist needs an HP increase. 45 HP for a L3 unit is quite low.
I think it's balanced by his offensive power and leadership. Compare to Arch Mage. Slightly less magic damage and 9 less hp, but a stronger staff, less exp to get there, that awesome Infernal storm and leadership.
Voodoo wrote:MMmh you are right.
In this case I can't add magic or berserk attacks. And if I add a SLOW attack to the Amir? It would help him in defence..
Unfortunately Slow is not a direct magic substitute. There is no "How to play" series for the Kalifa, but I didn't get the sense they were a particularly defensive faction, definitely not to the degree of Knalgans.
vivantlingvaemortvae
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

Rex Umbrarum wrote:
A Guy wrote:I think the demonologist needs an HP increase. 45 HP for a L3 unit is quite low.
I think it's balanced by his offensive power and leadership. Compare to Arch Mage. Slightly less magic damage and 9 less hp, but a stronger staff, less exp to get there, that awesome Infernal storm and leadership.
I quote you ;)
Voodoo wrote:MMmh you are right.
Unfortunately Slow is not a direct magic substitute. There is no "How to play" series for the Kalifa, but I didn't get the sense they were a particularly defensive faction, definitely not to the degree of Knalgans.
Yeah I know it's not a direct substitute, but I can't give them a magic-like attack. Other factions like Lavinians, Calydonians and Clockwork Dwarves don't have magic-like attacks (also Dwarves.. although they have the berserk).
Tha Kalifa are good in sands, that's their quite unique feature, and in hills (but not as good as Dwarves!). They also have 2 different types of cavalries so I'd say they are quite versatile. And I remember, they also have the best level1 healer of BEEM.
I think they might miss something, but that's not a magic-like attack :)
Cataphract

Post by Cataphract »

Thanks for doing this! A few friends and I were playing EoM and EE for the first time last night and we were completely taken aback by how imbalanced the factions were. I'm VERY glad to see Marksman come off the the Kalifa swordsmen, as it was making our lives miserable all night.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Rex Umbrarum wrote:
But that won't last long against a lucky charge by a horseman (or what was that Kalifa unit with charge?) I say that it needs at least 51 HP, to survive a horseman charge.

For this same reason, I think the MOL needs an HP boost (especially after it just got nerfed).
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

Cataphract wrote:Thanks for doing this! A few friends and I were playing EoM and EE for the first time last night and we were completely taken aback by how imbalanced the factions were. I'm VERY glad to see Marksman come off the the Kalifa swordsmen, as it was making our lives miserable all night.
I'm very happy you appreciate it ^_^
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

A Guy wrote: But that won't last long against a lucky charge by a horseman (or what was that Kalifa unit with charge?) I say that it needs at least 51 HP, to survive a horseman charge.
MMmmh I don't think so. It's not so important he can survare a lucky horseman charge! :)
Even if I think I win't change it, I'll check it :)
Cataphract

Post by Cataphract »

The Calydonians seem overpowered. A friend of mine and I have tested against them a few times and there's no real good way to eliminate their Hoplites, and the fact that they get lawful AND chaotic units means you can't even reliably assault them at night. The damage numbers on the Hoplite sword attack are staggeringly high for a level 1 unit with steadfast. Is this being looked at?
Mica

Post by Mica »

Lawful and Chaotic mainline race: The Drakes. :?
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Cataphract

Post by Cataphract »

Mica wrote:Lawful and Chaotic mainline race: The Drakes. :?
Yes, but the Drakes have many other disadvantages: they're easy to hit, they're expensive, and most of them are vulnerable to piercing damage to some degree (a very common damage type).

The Calydonians have easy access to fire damage, Hoplites have steadfast AND good damage (a combination no other unit in the game has to my knowledge), they have a unit with a berserk attack that isn't forced to use it because it has a second melee attack with good damage (another thing no other faction in the game has), they have TWO units with a 70% dodge in hills, they have a skirmisher unit that has about the same health and damage as a fencer except that he gets to do his damage at range AND maintains a melee attack (though not a very good one, at least he has it unlike the fencer who gets no ranged attack until level 2), they get a cavalry who has a charge and a non-charge attack AND a ranged attack at level 1, and their main ranged unit does impact damage (one of the better damage forms in the game). Their only real weakness is the lack of a magic attack unit or a healer; the Lavinians have the same two weaknesses except do not enjoy the awesomeness of a unit like a Hoplite at level 1, are easy to hit in forests, and their only real ranged unit is very slow.

I just don't see the balance in the Calydonians. Everything else seems fairly well-balanced.
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

I think you are right. I lowered the Hoplite's attack to 7-3 and I did some other little change.
I'll release, I hope, the next version in this weekend :)