Era of Chaos

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Astoria
Inactive Developer

Era of Chaos

Post by Astoria »

I am going to make my own big era:
Era Of Chaos.
I already made a "new" unit tree and i need lots of units and artwork for this.
All needs animation.
I know that this takes long but i will go for it.
Tree:
Chaos Follower-->Chaos Mage ->Chaos Magus--->Chaos High Mage->Chaos Master-Mage
I
-> Chaos Soldier >Chaos Spearman>Chaos Pikeman--->Chaos Halbardier
I
----->Chaos Knight-- >Chaos Lord
I
----->Chaos Rider--- >Chaos Driver
Last edited by Astoria on March 20th, 2008, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Lim-Dul

Re: Era of Chaos

Post by Lim-Dul »

Does this Era have anything to do with the Warhammer universe? My guess is: yes. =)

If that is the case then why aren't you using the official names for the units like Chaos Warrior etc.? It'd be a more understandable reference for e.g. graphic artists so they know what to base the sprites on. =)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Lim-Dul wrote:If that is the case then why aren't you using the official names for the units like Chaos Warrior etc.? It'd be a more understandable reference for e.g. graphic artists so they know what to base the sprites on. =)
Because if he did this topic would be locked before you could say "copyright infringement".
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

turin wrote:
Lim-Dul wrote:If that is the case then why aren't you using the official names for the units like Chaos Warrior etc.? It'd be a more understandable reference for e.g. graphic artists so they know what to base the sprites on. =)
Because if he did this topic would be locked before you could say "copyright infringement".
Yup! I make another Chaos Unit tree too.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Well - funnily enough he mixes canonical names (Chaos Knight, Chaos Lord etc.) with made-up names (Chaos Mage (instead of Sorcerer), Chaos Soldier (instead of Warrior)) so this isn't a valid argument.

By the way - I checked the copyright notice in my army codex and luckily most general names, especially those of units, aren't copyrighted. You wouldn't be allowed to use specific names like Tzeench, Bloodletters, Daemonette etc. but all the units listed here are perfectly alright - I mean WOULD be perfectly alright in their proper version. I guess you couldn't copyright the combination of such common words as "Chaos" and "Warrior". ^^

I guess it's better to do some legal research before locking topics and shouting "copyright infringement". :-P

Now on a non-copyright related note:

The initial tree you proposed LittleFighter doesn't sound good - 5 levels for mages? 4 for warriors? Far too many. Spread out the units a bit. E.g. since the weapon type seems to change across levels in the Soldier (Warrior :-P) line you might just as well split it into two separate branches.
Last edited by Lim-Dul on March 20th, 2008, 7:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
--
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Lim-Dul wrote:
Well - funnily enough he mixes official names (Chaos Knight, Chaos Lord etc.) with made-up names (Chaos Mage (instead of Sorcerer), Chaos Soldier (instead of Warrior)) so this isn't a valid argument.

By the way - I checked the copyright notice in my army codex and luckily most general names, especially those of units, aren't copyrighted. You wouldn't be allowed to use names like Tzeench, Bloodletters, Daemonette etc. but all the units he listed here are perfectly alright - I mean WOULD be perfectly alright in their proper version. I guess you couldn't copyright the combination of such common words as "Chaos" and "Warrior". ^^

I guess it's better to do some legal research before locking topics and shouting "copyright infringement". :-P
However something this thread is missing, is research into the Extended Era, where there already is a Chaos faction.. and its being TC as we speak in the EE art thread?!?

From the looks of the first post, LightFighter wants to make a faction rather than an era (unless of course LightFighter is planning on making multiple chaos factions with different gods, like the Warhammer chaos)
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Yeah, well - I imagined adding several factions would be his goal. An epic and everlasting battle between the forces of Chaos as described in the various books on the Warhammer universe. Strangely enough the EE Chaos faction seems to be far closer to Warhammer (names excluded) than what LittleFighter proposed here...

P.S. Let's make up some new and original names for the gods of Chaos: Tzintch, Korne, Slanesh and Nurgal. :-D
--
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Lim-Dul wrote:Yeah, well - I imagined adding several factions would be his goal. An epic and everlasting battle between the forces of Chaos as described in the various books on the Warhammer universe. Strangely enough the EE Chaos faction seems to be far closer to Warhammer (names excluded) than what LittleFighter proposed here...

P.S. Let's make up some new and original names for the gods of Chaos: Tzintch, Korne, Slanesh and Nurgal. :-D
Yes, i make different Chaos Factions.
I also need some new zombies and humans.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

If there are different factions why are all the units named 'Chaos'? The different facvtions should field different troops or at least variations, like Blood Knights and Plague Soldiers or whatever. I would also avoid naming them after their demon masters. Everyone knows that the way to vanquish a great demon is to say its real name. :P But seriously, more descriptive names for the units lets people get the impression faster.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Lim-Dul wrote:By the way - I checked the copyright notice in my army codex and luckily most general names, especially those of units, aren't copyrighted. You wouldn't be allowed to use specific names like Tzeench, Bloodletters, Daemonette etc. but all the units listed here are perfectly alright - I mean WOULD be perfectly alright in their proper version. I guess you couldn't copyright the combination of such common words as "Chaos" and "Warrior". ^^

Um, you don't copyright names, you trademark them. You copyright larger works.

And directly copying Warhammer units, whether or not you take the names, is copyright infringement. We've had this debate multiple times. It's just that if he didn't use the exact names he might be able to claim he wasn't stealing from them, while if he uses the names it's indisputable.

So - if this is a clone of the stuff from the Warhammer universe, it's unacceptable whether he uses the Warhammer names or not. If not, sure, he can use the Warhammer names, but it wouldn't make any sense to use them rather than the names he has right now, unless the Warhammer names are somehow objectively better...

Of course, as long as you don't explicitly state that you're a Warhammer clone, you're probably fine, but it would not be a good idea to state that.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

turin wrote:
Lim-Dul wrote:By the way - I checked the copyright notice in my army codex and luckily most general names, especially those of units, aren't copyrighted. You wouldn't be allowed to use specific names like Tzeench, Bloodletters, Daemonette etc. but all the units listed here are perfectly alright - I mean WOULD be perfectly alright in their proper version. I guess you couldn't copyright the combination of such common words as "Chaos" and "Warrior". ^^

Um, you don't copyright names, you trademark them. You copyright larger works.

And directly copying Warhammer units, whether or not you take the names, is copyright infringement. We've had this debate multiple times. It's just that if he didn't use the exact names he might be able to claim he wasn't stealing from them, while if he uses the names it's indisputable.

So - if this is a clone of the stuff from the Warhammer universe, it's unacceptable whether he uses the Warhammer names or not. If not, sure, he can use the Warhammer names, but it wouldn't make any sense to use them rather than the names he has right now, unless the Warhammer names are somehow objectively better...

Of course, as long as you don't explicitly state that you're a Warhammer clone, you're probably fine, but it would not be a good idea to state that.
I not want any Warhammer things.
I want a Chaos Faction and many new zombies and some new Elves and Humans.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I hope there are some people who wants to make animated art for the units.
First, i want the Chaos Follower.

Fist
5-3
Impact
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

you can do the animations yourself, im sure :)
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Ha, ha - this is one of the funniest forum replies I've seen. ;-)
--
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

To put it another way... 'I want' almost never gets. Artists are rarely willing to devote their time to a project when the coder has shown absolutely no indication that the project will go any further than the theoretical stage. If you want artists to get on board with your project, get a working version in order using placeholder artwork, then you might be able to tempt someone to provide some more complete artwork.

It helps, as well, if you actually give a description of the unit, rather than just a bare attack type.

Also, a Chaos faction already exists, it's in the Extended Era.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.