The Yōkai

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: The Yōkai

Post by Espreon »

Shadow Master wrote:I wanted to put the Yokai to use in a sequel to my campaign, by the way.
Sequel to IFtU? Tell me more!

OK, back on topic: I am sure Melon will come back someday.
Gena

Post by Gena »

ohhh well can you please put the Yokai on the 1.4 server?
binaryquasar

Post by binaryquasar »

I have a zip of 1.6 don't know how complete it is though.

EDIT. I checked it is complete :D

/me pats self on back. :lol2:

I hope he comes back.. truthfully I have occasionally become irritated enough to abandon a project. and in fact that is why though I do give advise I have never contributed anything else :oops: The public can be a burden sometimes, it isnt fair to complain because he got a little burned out.
Attachments
Yokai 1.06.zip
(235.99 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
Melon

Post by Melon »

Sorry for disappearing for a while, I had to address a number of issues going on in my life at this time. I had to put a lock on this project until I came back as I did not want it to be messed with until my return.

Hopefully I'll be able to stick around long enough to bring this faction to some sort of a conclusion this time around.
MaxRip

Re: The Yokai

Post by MaxRip »

Youkai, as in Nature spirits from japan?

Wow! You I actually know all about them due to my studies of Japanese and Korean history together with mythology.

Also if you need help finding their names I recommend using youkaimura.org for any and all info on them. It is well kept up and its reasearch checks out.
Current Projects:
Biomancy and Necromancy
Experimental Unit types
Expire mental Unit types
Willful Undead
Expanding upon the following races:
Ogres
Bats
Wose
Monsters

In short:too much
Melon

Post by Melon »

Looking back on this project a lot of the stats may need some tweaking around in order to make the faction a bit more balanced. As was stated earlier at some point the combination of access to leadership and the ability to slow early in the game gives the faction a big advantage when swarming. I'm looking to address both of these issues in the next patch.

Here's some of my thoughts in regards to what can be done to make the faction a bit more balanced to play against:

-Limit pixie speed to 7 or maybe even 6 moves. Faerie speed will probably stay at 8. Increase pixie cost.
-Increase cost of every member of the Weaver tree.
-Remove leadership altogether from the first member of the Poltergeist tree and rethink the unit, the rest of the promotion options will likely remain as they are right now.

-(Maybe) Slightly nerf the stats for Mandragora, Kodama and Onryo
-(Maybe) Remove the ranged slow ability from the Spriggans. The level 2 version will still have it though.

I would like some additional playtester input before I make any of these changes however, especially the ones I feel less certain about.
cretin

Post by cretin »

welcome back Melon, good to see you return.
dontano

Post by dontano »

Hi Melon. I see that you're busy in creating a spirit-like faction that recall the ancient Japanese legends. Since I'm creating too a Japan-themed Era (for myself, though), I'm quite interested on what you're proposing on this thread. If you want some info about the Japanese Sengoku Jidai period (1487-1615), just PM me and I'll answer ya. Also, I can send you what I've done so far with my Era.
Question: are you going to include the Tengu, too? Or the Tanuki, Kyuubi-no-kitsune, or any other legend?
Trust yourself first, then trust others.
Current activity/ies: what...!?
MaxRip

Post by MaxRip »

Yeah, But dont forget Karasu Tengu, Shininubi, Oni of the mountains, etc. Glad to see I am not the only one who still knows of japanese Mythollogy
Current Projects:
Biomancy and Necromancy
Experimental Unit types
Expire mental Unit types
Willful Undead
Expanding upon the following races:
Ogres
Bats
Wose
Monsters

In short:too much
dontano

Post by dontano »

Don't forget Yamata-no-Orochi, Byakko, Genbu Oni, Kappa, Daitengu, Goryō, Hō-ō... etc. etc.
:D Here's a link where you can find all the legendary creatures you're looking for, mate.
Happy browsing! :wink:
Secondary link.
Last edited by dontano on August 26th, 2008, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cretin

Post by cretin »

im pretty sure melon has all the creatures he wants, he put this together quite a while ago.
Juan-

Post by Juan- »

This add on can only be downloaded by the link of this page? Because i never can use one thing downloaded from the forums.
Mnewton1 code acolite...
Melon

Post by Melon »

Version 1.07a.

Major Changes:
-All members of the weaver tree have been powered down and made slightly more expensive
-Leadership for the Poltergeists was replaced with "inspire" (+10% bonus to level 1, +25% bonus to level 0). This ability is only available at level 2 and does not improve at level 3. Level 1 version was made slower and less expensive.
-All swarms were made slightly more expensive
-Pixies and Faeries are now slower
-Onryo will now deal less damage but attack twice (Meaning that all damage bonuses gained are doubled)
-Mandragora damage decreased by 2
-Some sprites have been tweaked

The current set-up for the faction appears to be a little more fair towards others, I'll probably have to play around with the stats a bit more though before I can achieve a perfect fit.

edit: Slight change. Mandragora damage is back to what it was originally and the Poltergeist sprite had a few stray pixels fixed.
Attachments
Yokai 1.07a.zip
(236.74 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
Melon

Post by Melon »

The new version seems fairly well balanced as far as I can tell, I'd still like to hear some playtester commentary on it though. But more importantly I'd like to hear from whoever is still interested in having the faction included in their eras or campaigns. Though originally it was supposed to be a part of the Era of Myth, I have no idea if the EoM crew is still interested in it to any sort of extent.

In completly unrelated news I tried drawing a portrait, though I honestly doubt that I'll ever get around to making one for every single member of this faction.
Attachments
changeling_occultist.png
changeling_occultist.png (41.96 KiB) Viewed 5547 times
dontano

Post by dontano »

Once my work is over, I'll send you the whole MP Japan Era. Thanks to your Yōkai, I can finally have a sort of Japan-themed Extended Era. :wink:
Looking at them, though, they seem pretty balanced and fun to play with. I've tried several maps with them and I've obliterated almost everything in my way. :D