Level 0s for every Level 1 - Humans

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rhishisikk

Re: Level 0s for every Level 1 - Humans

Post by Rhishisikk »

Oh, no. You want to talk balance issues with the L0 army?

Leadership takes on a stronger role.

Level one units are heroic, and L2 stride about the field like whirlwinds of death.

The AI is perfectly willing to throw L0 units at an L1 until it levels to L2, and then beat the L2 down with waves of L0.

Possibly the largest balance difference is plague - WC (Walking Corpses) can MAUL entire waves of their fellow L0s.

Surprisingly, POISON isn't unbalanced - most L0s have hp so low it doesn't affect them that severely, and they're cheap to replace.

Haven't gotten a Necrophage to properly test FEEDING, but with the sheer number of casualties, I can see it being more useful than in Default.

The way it's currently set up, mixed warriors are your most valuable units, especially the archer-melee. They attack with impunity at range, and still have a decent defense when attacked by melee.

Based on the normal pattern I've seen in my games, the sides meet, then furball, then develop wavering lines. Eventually, one side or the other will gain dominance due to L1 and L2 units mangling everything in their area. The line will press toward the losing side's castle. Sometimes, the tides will turn and shift back, but usually the line bulges and breaks. Then there are a few turns of 'leader siege', followed by victory.

In spite of these differences, this is still good work - and I'm waiting to see if anything more comes from it.
Typhon Rhishisikk

If a man has a talent and cannot use it, he has failed. - Thomas Wolfe
Wesluck (TM): Guaranteed unlike any other luck, anywhere else. - Typhon

Main Projects: ANL: Universal (era), Gambit's Empire Builder
Lolinder

Post by Lolinder »

What happened to this? It's awesome!

Here are the files, updated (as best I could) to fit with the changes to WMA in Wesnoth 1.8.5. (It took me a while to figure out why it wouldn't work).

Has more been done with this elsewhere? Or did it die, for some reason?
Attachments
Level 0s.zip
Updated for 1.8.5
(987.27 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Hey! Glad you like the idea. All of these have been incorporated into Wesband, which is kind of the reason why this specific project died, but, on the other hand, Wesband is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to use this project for in the first place.

It would be nice to eventually move on to the other races, but I have been so busy with real life stuff, I haven't been able to work on Wesband at all. Heck, I haven't been worthy of the "Moderator" title since sometime last year (just after I got given the title, too :doh: ).
ducklord_time

Post by ducklord_time »

It seems to me there is a place for level 0 undead- all the mainline undead are weapons, but I would think some necromancers would have use for, and presumably be able to animate, undead for logging, craft, mining or building, which would probably be level 0.

I think, from their villages being capturable, that most necromancers must have living people they threaten into working for them. I'd still think aditional civilian servants would have uses for them.

And since the elvish rider line are, among other things, messengers, a non-mounted messenger could be the level 0. Tamer could also work, 'though.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I forgot to mention that I made a few different lvl 0s for Undead that got included in Wesband. There is the Walking Bones, a skeleton that can only punch, and the Spirit, a lvl 0 version of the Ghost. The Spirit used the old sprite version of the Ghost. The most difficult thing in making these units (as with -any- unit) is the sprite art, so looking at older versions in units.wesnoth.org is a great place to start.
Lolinder

Post by Lolinder »

Yeah, I snagged those two in my new compilation of the units. Hope you don't object. :D
Arcanix

Post by Arcanix »

Loving the lvl 0's also... any chance of adding a "shield bearer" that could become the heavy infantry or perhaps the horseman (knight)? He could have a single melee impact attack but good defense.