Minotaur Faction : The Era Of Strife

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

diekil

Post by diekil »

Quietus wrote:no disregard to diekil, just something like Forest Raider for the light calvary version, would seem a bit more unique than the current one of Centaur Ride. but names will be done in the next installment.
No offense taken my native language is dutch so I have some problems finding the real cool names.

I think the centaur line is a little big to and centaurs have bows in most of the tales (even in the book of our lad Harry Potter) so I see nothing wrong with letting them start with a bow
The gnoll is not exactly a minotaur. hes still a humanoid but he's half dog half human. He will be armed with a short bow and is the armies archer, as Minotaurs are too butch and buff to use short bows.
Yeah gnolls would fit just fine and they could be the basic archer. Mayby cheaper because I see them weak but coming in hordes like goblins...

Please keep the unit ideas coming, more sprites are being done, though i am only one man, and perfectionist at that, so sprites will take a while.
I wil when I have one again.

Grtz,

Diekill[/quote]
cretin

Post by cretin »

i think the mino king is as big as the dragon sprite... well i was thinking of what type of swimming creature there could be, and when i usually get stuck i go check out dnd monsters and see if any can be useful. Found three

Sahanguin
Seacat
Troglodyte

found them looking through this page http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20030712a
maybe it will help give people ideas of what a sea creature could be.
JW

Post by JW »

Quietus: I'd love to help you with these guys as soon as I get some more work done on the EoM. It will be hard to balance these guys without an era, so the first thing we'll have to do is find you some more factions to go up against. :wink:

-edit-
I believe Q said something about a roc unit earlier as a flyer.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

diekil wrote:
Quietus wrote:no disregard to diekil, just something like Forest Raider for the light calvary version, would seem a bit more unique than the current one of Centaur Ride. but names will be done in the next installment.
No offense taken my native language is dutch so I have some problems finding the real cool names.

I think the centaur line is a little big to and centaurs have bows in most of the tales (even in the book of our lad Harry Potter) so I see nothing wrong with letting them start with a bow
Ag good so it is agreed then, that the Centaur shall start with a bow and spear. Will level up up either into a faster skrimisher unit with a bow and spear, or a beefed up heavy Centaur, with no archer defense.

diekil wrote:Yeah gnolls would fit just fine and they could be the basic archer. Mayby cheaper because I see them weak but coming in hordes like goblins...
Yes they would be cheap and weak. Something like 3-4 when shooting, or something like that.

cretin wrote: i think the mino king is as big as the dragon sprite... well i was thinking of what type of swimming creature there could be, and when i usually get stuck i go check out dnd monsters and see if any can be useful. Found three

Sahanguin
Seacat
Troglodyte

found them looking through this page http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20030712a
maybe it will help give people ideas of what a sea creature could be.
Ah thanks for the link, ill have a look through all the creatures once ive come back from work.

And the reason for the size of the dragon is beacuse of the size of the hex. If the size was bigger im sure they would have made the dragon bigger.(same can be said for hte Minotaur King).

JW wrote: Quietus: I'd love to help you with these guys as soon as I get some more work done on the EoM. It will be hard to balance these guys without an era, so the first thing we'll have to do is find you some more factions to go up against.
Ah thanks, any help is appretiated. We now helperson our side :D . Hopefull a few playtesters will be avaliable once the faction is playable. SO i think we have everything we require to get this faction completed. At the rate at which i can complete sprites, i think all artwork should bge done in the next month or so. *fingers crossed*.

Just to add a Dsiclaimer:

Minotaurs wont be included in the EOM. JW does have the mamoth task of having to keep everything balanced as it is, without having to fit an entirely new faction in. Plus i fel the EOM has a nice number of factions. One more might ruin that.

Blueblaze has an era that these guys will be included in. Im not sur what else is featured in the era, but we'll find out soon.

Im also taking a break from spriting for the moment. Spriting Two factions and having to do college work and social life in between wears you out. I will be reading the forum and answering questions, and will begin spriting again tommorow night, with the Centaurs and maybe the gnoll.

thanks everyone

EDIT: can a mod please delete one of diekil's posts. He accidentally posted the same one twice. Thanks

Done. Mist.
Last edited by Quietus on January 19th, 2008, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kesnar

Post by kesnar »

There are a lot sea Creatures from Greek mythology:
Mermaids

Sirens

Scylla

(If you have any questions please ask me)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this a Greek mythology faction or a Minotaur faction???
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

I have an idea for your Rouser, instead of a sharpened flagpole like everybody else has, give him a Cat o' Nine Tails. This could be a melee weapon with blade damage, but now that I think about it this would be more of a ranged weapon. I'd suggest about 3 strikes 10-12 damage. I'm not sure I'd have him change into the minotaur king if you follow my suggestion, but if you've envisioned him as having a battle axe, then go ahead and do that.

Also, since you have so few units, I'd suggest creating another path that your rouser would come from, something like the behemoth that when leveled would gain the leadership ability. Kind of like the elvish fighter line.

I know these are major suggestions that would require a lot more work to implement, but I'm just serving up my opinion. I look forward to the completion of this era very much, and have already got a campaign idea for it. However, I have another that I want to complete first.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
IndieTrannie

Post by IndieTrannie »

Satyr, half goats, would make excellent medium troops to support the centaur. It would increase your variety a bit, fit both the flavor of the units so far, and fit with the original mythology to some degree.

I believe the intent of this faction was to fit with the minotaurs tha made up the core idea. It was suggested, by myself, that he take inspiration from Grecian mythology from which the Minotaur originates. I assume it's inspiration is really more in line with the D&D and Wesnoth styles of mythos, ergo if it sounds good and fits with the general flavor of the faction then use it.
Allright! Now go out there and win one for the zipper!
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

IndieTrannie wrote:Satyr, half goats, would make excellent medium troops to support the centaur. It would increase your variety a bit, fit both the flavor of the units so far, and fit with the original mythology to some degree.

I believe the intent of this faction was to fit with the minotaurs tha made up the core idea. It was suggested, by myself, that he take inspiration from Grecian mythology from which the Minotaur originates. I assume it's inspiration is really more in line with the D&D and Wesnoth styles of mythos, ergo if it sounds good and fits with the general flavor of the faction then use it.
I know I'm being over critical here, as I want others to be to me, but is this a minotaur faction or the changeling faction? Who wants a faction based off of a bunch of half-man half-beast creatures?

That being said I do think it would give it quite a bit of variety and make it easier to balance, but I see this turning into a mythological kind of "throw all your monsters into me" faction.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
cretin

Post by cretin »

who says the other creatures arent allied (or subservient) to Minotaurs? the Rebel line isnt all Elves is it? Its elves allied with wose and mermen. i dont see whats wrong with centaurs or satyrs fighting with Minotaurs
IndieTrannie

Post by IndieTrannie »

Darth Jordius wrote:
IndieTrannie wrote:Satyr, half goats, would make excellent medium troops to support the centaur. It would increase your variety a bit, fit both the flavor of the units so far, and fit with the original mythology to some degree.

I know I'm being over critical here, as I want others to be to me, but is this a minotaur faction or the changeling faction? Who wants a faction based off of a bunch of half-man half-beast creatures?

That being said I do think it would give it quite a bit of variety and make it easier to balance, but I see this turning into a mythological kind of "throw all your monsters into me" faction.
It's more a, "Minotaurs are big and strong and carry heavy weapons... Yeah we can make about seven variations on that theme tops" thing. He could conceivably create a minotaur medium infantryman but it would seem strange to have a whole arm of the Minotaur military inexplicably shorter and weaker than the main units.

Segregating by race is very hard if the race itself can't support the kind of balance needed to win battles. Which isn't to say that he should be throwing in every random race that walks along, but ones that follow a general changeling flavor will fit in significantly better.

I'd say overload it with more races than you need, then pick a few races and convert the unit lines to function off those. But then I tend to prefer carving over extruding, so it's probably just a matter of opinion.
Allright! Now go out there and win one for the zipper!
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Guys, all I was saying was that it already has gnolls and centaurs, adding saytrs would make 4 different types of units, which is unprecedented. I thought that keeping it at two or three would be more than enough.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Darth Jordius wrote:Guys, all I was saying was that it already has gnolls and centaurs, adding saytrs would make 4 different types of units, which is unprecedented. I thought that keeping it at two or three would be more than enough.
In essance it is a minotaur faction. The Centaurs (though called centaurs, will probably be half horse half beast. I dont really like the idea of them actually having human heads, it wouldnt really fit in. Imagine a centaur with a bulls head. Ill provide a sprite tommorow to give you some idea.

Though if you think about it. The northerners are esentially orcs and goblins, though the inclusion of trolls and nagas gives the faction a bit of variation. What i dont want is for there to be the same sort of Minotaur sprite for every unit. i.e. a minotaur with and axe, a minotaur with a bow, a minotaur on a bore etc. I want there to be mixed flavour, but with the minotaur's primarily at the forefront.

The inclusion of units such as Gnalls and centaurs is to give the player the required units buyt with a little difference in appearance.

This whole flyer/swimmer unit is making the situation a lot harder, as there is no way i can see a minotaur flying or swimming, let alone riding something that does. Therefore we are required to include other such races to fill theses spots. Im all for having some mythical creature swimming, could be the Minotaurs pet :D .

Overall we need some new races to fill positions, but i wish to make the basic infantry minotaurs. The shaman shall be a Minotaur, and so shall another line of infantry which will possibly have two weopons rather than one big one, offering some more pierce damage.

Thanks for all the contributiosn people
diekil

Post by diekil »

WHy wouldn't a minotaur ride (warcraft 3=> kodo's :p) but yeah I don't see them riding a flying/swimming beast.

I'm interested in the centuar with bull's head but that's for tomorow gtg.

Grtz,

Diekill
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

diekil wrote:WHy wouldn't a minotaur ride (warcraft 3=> kodo's :p) but yeah I don't see them riding a flying/swimming beast.

I'm interested in the centuar with bull's head but that's for tomorow gtg.

Grtz,

Diekill
Well.. i could imagine him riding a bore.

Bore Rider ---> Juganaut??

But it would mean that there are two mounted units, which i dont like. I think one is definately enough.

About the swimmer unit, i saw from another thread the name Siren, and checked it out. It actually looked like a good idea as a unit. It could cover both the flyer and a goog fighter on water (though this might be overpowering). Just up for some discussion.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

cretin wrote:who says the other creatures arent allied (or subservient) to Minotaurs? the Rebel line isnt all Elves is it? Its elves allied with wose and mermen. i dont see whats wrong with centaurs or satyrs fighting with Minotaurs
That's because the elves are just tree-huggers bordering on becoming naturists. :D