Minotaur Faction : The Era Of Strife

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Gauteamus wrote:There is one obvious choice for a weakish scout-like flying unit in a faction of brutes loosely based on the Minotaur mythos:

the Icarus --upgrades to--> the Daedalus
Why didn't I think of that?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Gauteamus wrote:There is one obvious choice for a weakish scout-like flying unit in a faction of brutes loosely based on the Minotaur mythos:

the Icarus --upgrades to--> the Daedalus
Why didn't I think of that?
:cry:

I am not a fan of turning mythological characters into units. Icarus was one person. It makes no sense to have a unit called "Icarus". A person with wings hot-glued to them, fine - but don't call it an "Icarus", call it a "Waxwing" or something. Having an "Icarus" unit would be like having a "Konrad" unit that you could recruit many copies of. Just because the story is old doesn't make it any better.

The same goes for anyone considering a "Medusa" or "Pegasus" unit. If you want a "Gorgon" unit I can kind of give you a pass, since Gorgon was a class of beings even though there are by definition only three of them.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

He still have harpies, sphinx, etc... for flying creatures.

Also I consider weird that a Roc launchs thunder/lightning attack, when its not more than a huge giant bird that catched whales as fish.

Between, the thunderbird its alread a mythological beast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbir ... thology%29 and I remember the creature being showed in an really old game called "Adept" sequel of the old Archon. (I played it on the Commodore)

It's more proper for a lightning attack, the Roc however would probably drop giants rock a la rocklobber troll.

Thre is a ton of creatures on mythos, most of them however are hybrids human + something, because it seems easier to draw ideas from known sources to form new ones. (its called imagination)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
cretin

Post by cretin »

you have to remember though turin that the Minotaur was also One creature.
on the note of the roc, i also remember long long time ago some myth mentioning that they carry boulders and drop them on their prey. O.o ooh thats a good idea.
Rimbecano

Post by Rimbecano »

turin wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote: Why didn't I think of that?
:cry:

I am not a fan of turning mythological characters into units. Icarus was one person. It makes no sense to have a unit called "Icarus". A person with wings hot-glued to them, fine - but don't call it an "Icarus", call it a "Waxwing" or something. Having an "Icarus" unit would be like having a "Konrad" unit that you could recruit many copies of. Just because the story is old doesn't make it any better.

The same goes for anyone considering a "Medusa" or "Pegasus" unit. If you want a "Gorgon" unit I can kind of give you a pass, since Gorgon was a class of beings even though there are by definition only three of them.
I don't know, I see your point WRT Icarus/Daedelus, and maybe Medusa, but not so much WRT Pegasus. Pegasus in Greek myth was a one of a kind creature, AFAIK, and thus you could argue that the name of the breed was the same as that of the individual. After all, family names are passed down from generation to generation, ship classes are often named after the first ship of the class, and some nations (e.g. Israel) have been named after an anscestor or founding father. In a mythos in which Pegasus had kids, what's to prevent the resulting race of winged horses being called Pegasi? It doesn't work with Icry and Daeddy because they were members of an existing group. OTOH, if they had founded a nation that became prominent, the people of that nation might have been called the Icarids or something of the like (Especially if they liked flying around with wings waxed to their arms).
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

cretin wrote:you have to remember though turin that the Minotaur was also One creature.
on the note of the roc, i also remember long long time ago some myth mentioning that they carry boulders and drop them on their prey. O.o ooh thats a good idea.
Yes, but it could be argued that "Minotaur" is the name of the race. After all, it just means "Bull of Minos", i.e. a half-man half-bull hybrid. But with "Icarus", that's the guy's name. It's only incidental that he used wax wings at all.

If you want to name them based on Icarus, call them "Icarids". IIRC "Icareides" would mean something like "son of Icarus", so it would work for the unit name. But please don't call them "Icarus".
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

I was thinking what Turin wrote above.
Lim_Arcadia

Post by Lim_Arcadia »

Had to leave for a while to take finals... bleugh...

Anyway, I think that I should probably start coding up a few of these units, so that I don't get swamped when the whole tree needs doing, along with animations.

As for balancing, I'll code the units as best I can, and their stats will be easy enough to change for balancing, but I haven't got the faintest Idea on how to balance a faction.

(P.S. Quietus, PM me any stats that are relevant that you've already thought up.)
"The ability to speak does not make you intelegent." - Qui-Gon Jinn
Kestenvarn wrote:This is not a faction.
This is not even trying to be a faction.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Lim_Arcadia wrote:Had to leave for a while to take finals... bleugh...

Anyway, I think that I should probably start coding up a few of these units, so that I don't get swamped when the whole tree needs doing, along with animations.

As for balancing, I'll code the units as best I can, and their stats will be easy enough to change for balancing, but I haven't got the faintest Idea on how to balance a faction.

(P.S. Quietus, PM me any stats that are relevant that you've already thought up.)
ah good good. Erm what i ideally want is for a deafult + minotaur era. This is just for play testing perposes, as i am not sure how long it will take Blueblaze to get his era up. If we can ideally get people play testing to the default it gives us a nice set of balanced factions to balance the Mins. around.

If you could begin coding what units i have now (And soon to be a few more) and get the era published to the campagine server then i would be eternally greatful. We can then add updates with new units and images, plus different stats as we go along. It just allows player to get a feal of the units.

Though dont publish the era unitl i have finnished all lvl1 sprites. We can then use the same sprite for the evolutions, and then update as i create new ones.

As for the stats, well thats up to the forum. People please send us your suggestions. Ideally i want them to be strong creatures with alot of blade and impact damage. However limited range and piercing, as well as lack of resistances. High points cost and upkeep, and high EXP required to level.

Note: Lim_Arcadia, you will get your reward soon after ive done all the lvl 1 units :) Just PM me as to what you want.
Lim_Arcadia

Post by Lim_Arcadia »

thoughts on resistances, defense and movetypes.

IMO, they should be good on grassland, dirt, and basicaly have a more difficult time navigating forests, hills, mountains, ect...(hooves)

what I wonder about is resistances. they appear to be for the most part, armored, so that would suggest some weakeness to blade in the lower levels, however, on the king, for example, he sheds his armor, and appears to only use his mass as a deterant to arrows and the like.

and then for other damagetypes, such as fire, cold, and arcane I think that they should be weaker against those and have more of a defense against the brute, physical attacks like blade, pierce, and impact

P.S. Please chime in with your opinions people of the forums.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Lim_Arcadia wrote:thoughts on resistances, defense and movetypes.

IMO, they should be good on grassland, dirt, and basicaly have a more difficult time navigating forests, hills, mountains, ect...(hooves)

what I wonder about is resistances. they appear to be for the most part, armored, so that would suggest some weakeness to blade in the lower levels, however, on the king, for example, he sheds his armor, and appears to only use his mass as a deterant to arrows and the like.

and then for other damagetypes, such as fire, cold, and arcane I think that they should be weaker against those and have more of a defense against the brute, physical attacks like blade, pierce, and impact

Hmm i agree with all of those. The king is ideally resistent to impact (come on whats going to knock him over?? :roll: lol), and preferable pierce, as his muscle and mass, break spears on imact, and arrows only really do minimal damage.

However he is weak to blade and magic. He is a lvl 4 though, so he can be a bit more over powered than say a lvl 1 or 2.

All is sounding good. Ive done a few quick lvl 2's for the Centaur, most probably placeholders. My real issue is timing. I really want to get all the sprites done to some level by the end of this month/beginning of next. Allowing alot of time for coding and play testing. All time after that can be spend on ammending, updating and destroying puney humans bones!!!!! God i love being evil :twisted:
Lim_Arcadia

Post by Lim_Arcadia »

Quietus wrote:
Lim_Arcadia wrote:thoughts on resistances, defense and movetypes.

Hmm i agree with all of those. The king is ideally resistent to impact (come on whats going to knock him over?? :roll: lol), and preferable pierce, as his muscle and mass, break spears on imact, and arrows only really do minimal damage.

However he is weak to blade and magic. He is a lvl 4 though, so he can be a bit more over powered than say a lvl 1 or 2.

All is sounding good. Ive done a few quick lvl 2's for the Centaur, most probably placeholders. My real issue is timing. I really want to get all the sprites done to some level by the end of this month/beginning of next. Allowing alot of time for coding and play testing. All time after that can be spend on ammending, updating and destroying puney humans bones!!!!! God i love being evil :twisted:
(mwhahahahahaha :twisted:)

And on a Serious note...
can you send me the basic .pngs too, I would just cut them out of the faction image, but I don't want to screw up the allignment.

and now for something less nessasary,

Need minotaur names... and such things that all wesnoth races need... females!!! JK, but seriously, what should these evil beings be called?
Last edited by Lim_Arcadia on January 24th, 2008, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Ok they should all be in there, including the Centaur Knight. I decided i was going to edit the Forest Raider so ill send the new ones across via the art thread as they come. Just right lcik and save as when they do. Though you probably know that already.

EDIT: I know for certain that the spear and glaive of the the Centaurs is outside of the hex. At least im pretty certain lol. That will need to be edited sometime along the line but i wouldnt worry about that for now. Oh and some of the King's shadow might be as well.
Attachments
Minotaur PNGs.zip
(32.42 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Lim_Arcadia

Post by Lim_Arcadia »

thanks for that.

also, should any special traits be added?
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Lim_Arcadia wrote:thanks for that.

also, should any special traits be added?
Well we havnt really talked about this yet. I definately want the Behemoth and Behemoth King to have Beserk.

The Rouser and Minotaur King will have leadership. The shaman +4 heal, though i havnt made the sprite for him yet, so i wouldnt worry about the cfg for him as of yet.

Apart from that i cant imagine anything else. Though i did think of the idea that the executioner have an ability, called killing blow. every attack had a 10% chance(or something like that) of doing an extra 50% damage on top on the base damage.

I.e. An executioner hits with one of his attacks, which would do 12 damage. He has a 10% of doing an additional 50% damage due to the killing blow ability. He succeeds and the unit takes a blow of 18 damage. Should he fail, then the normal 12 damage would still apply.

I dont know how hard that would be to code. Though it needs discussing.

As for the names of the creaures : http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate. ... lsoundname

Should be surficcient. And as most appear to be randomly arranged leters, im sure theres no breach of any copyright :D

Cheers

EDIT: oh and no females. Not because im sexists, just that im sure they would look exactly the same as the males lol. Plus theres very little you could do but add breasts i guess :?