Faction: Chaos Horde (Need a New Name, please share)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

holyknight

Faction: Chaos Horde (Need a New Name, please share)

Post by holyknight »

Okay, I'm changing the whole thing, so here it goes

The history is still somewhat same, except there's now one god and it is NOT a Chaos God but now a Daemon God called _______

History is how the Wesnothans fought the Orcs in the Northern place in the snowy mountains. While they were having their last battle, a blizzard struck and stopped the war. All the orcs died while the wesnothians found a cave to shelter. The next day, they went out of the cave to see that they have no clue where they were. They kept travelling for weeks while they died one by one. When all of them lost their hopes, they heard a voice. A voice so terrifying and evil that the men cried in agony. The voice told them that he was a Daemon God and that if these men would worship and follow him, he will grant them overwhelming strength and unimaginable control over power. Few men who were very loyal to the Wesnothians refused and perished in pain. The others agreed to follow and suddenly they became stronger, healthier, and happier. These men became the army for the Daemon God named _________. They will convince other men to join them and if the others refuse, they will die. These men have been strengthned to conquer the Wesnoth.

*I need help with the name, please help?

Army List

Warrior --> Champion --> Lord
--> Gifted Warrior --> Possessed Warrior
--> Sentry
Archer --> Headshooter
Dark Mage --> Sorcerer --> Gifted Sorcerer
Horsemen --> Vanquisher
Bat --> Blood Bat
--> Giant Bat
Cultist --> Zealot --> Shade
--> Slaver
Daemonling --> Daemon --> Greater Daemon

All the information about these units are in the next page, and here are some of the sprites I've finished.
Attachments
horseman
horseman
horseman.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
new version of warrior
new version of warrior
warrior.png (1.11 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
Dark Mage
Dark Mage
dark mage.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
Cultist
Cultist
cultist.png (1.03 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
old version of Warrior
old version of Warrior
warrior.PNG (1.11 KiB) Viewed 5521 times
Last edited by holyknight on September 1st, 2007, 3:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
I like cheese, TYVM (Thank You Very Much).
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I would caution you from doing too similar a faction to the already created Extended Era Chaos Faction
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Angels Fell First

Post by Angels Fell First »

Weeksy wrote:I would caution you from doing too similar a faction to the already created Extended Era Chaos Faction
If you look at the chaos faction, the sprites are based around the Warhammer version, so you have been beaten to that idea. Though they are mainly Khorne sprites, so i guess there's no harm in making a different god line version of chaos like nurgle or slaanash.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Except Copyright. In the EE is just a generic faction called chaos.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Elerium

Post by Elerium »

I didn't like the style/balance with the Extended Era Chaos anyway, full speed ahead I say holyknight. Need any suggestions, I have tons of em, just PM me :P
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

How can a unit with HI-like resists/damage that also has berzerk be anywhere near balanced? Taking half damage from most attacks, this would be able to kill most level 2 units in one turn. That's not good, unless you're pricing this thing at 32 gold or something.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

For an MP faction, the Dark Hordes seem needlessly repetitive given the presence of the Chaos faction (heck, your Chaos Warrior even resembles the Chaos Invader).

That being said, this:
holyknight wrote:When an army of the Wesnothians fought the orcs in the northern mountains, a blizzard struck them in the middle of the battle. Both the armies tried to get away from the blizzard, the orcs weren't so lucky, but the men found a cave to shelter themselves. The next day, they were lost in a middle of no where and it was freezing. While they passed through the orc and man corpses, they died one by one. After few weeks of searching for hope, they heard a voice. A voice so strong and evil that some of the men who were weak screamed in agony until they died. The voice told the survivors about the overwhelming power, absolute control over the world, and much more, in one conditon: if they will serve the Chaos Gods. Few men who were very devoted to protect the people of the Wesnothians tried to convince others to fight back all died in pain. The others devoted themselves to these gods and became the Hordes of the Chaos. Now, these "men" search for outlaws, exiled, and unlucky men to either convince them to join the hordes, force them to join the hordes, or slaughter them. The Chaos Hordes will obey the Chaos Gods and destroy Wesnoth and everyone on it, no matter who they are.
Has excellent campaign potential.

Perhaps a tad similar to 'Descent into Darkness', but with care, it could be fairly unique.
holyknight

Post by holyknight »

huh... guess someone beat me to it already.
I guess I should get rid of the Khorne idea thing... (he was my favorite Chaos God too...).
I'll try changing the looks of the army now to look more fashionable like the Slaneesh army.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

There's no need for you to start work on yet another faction idea that's almost certain to fail. Why don't you just take the current Chaos faction and write a campaign around it or something? :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
devil_lord

Post by devil_lord »

Okay, so you have the gods of killing, lust, disease and... magic?

What the hell?
Is there any word more meaningless than hope?
Besides blarfinsigle of course.
Angels Fell First

Post by Angels Fell First »

I say that you should go ahead with the idea, but make it considerably different to the current chaos. If you're basing the whole idea around slaanesh (cant use the name as its copyrighted) then make them faster units, with good magic potential (a bit like elves)

Make the sprites more female and elegant looking.

People tend to give up on factions when they see their idea being attacked from the word go. But once you've got some art or playable units, some tend to change their idea about things. I wouldn't stop just because people dont seem to like the faction at its very first stage.

Though i do see Turin's point. If you do start a faction, you have to be commited otherwise it will just die and your time could have been spent better on a campagine which is much easier to get peoples interest.

Plus im sure he seen alot of factions being proposed and then being left before completion, so he may be set in his ways when it comes to new factions. lol
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

devil_lord wrote:Okay, so you have the gods of killing, lust, disease and... magic?

What the hell?
:lol:

BTW, No Religion In Wesnoth (tm).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
holyknight

Post by holyknight »

devil_lord wrote:Okay, so you have the gods of killing, lust, disease and... magic?

What the hell?
Not "What the hell?" but "What a GREAT IDEA!"
a-hem, and okay, thanks angel and turin, I'll try and get my army more unique from the previous Chaos army.
Qes

Post by Qes »

holyknight wrote:

What the hell?
Not "What the hell?" but "What a GREAT IDEA!"
a-hem, and okay, thanks angel and turin, I'll try and get my army more unique from the previous Chaos army.
I am a fan of the idea of "less is better for mechanics" "More is better for options/variety"

Adding factions in my esteem is always good for variety so I wish you luck and good stead. I would rename the faction first and foremost. Even having similar sounding names detracts from the uniqueness of one faction to the next.

Even good old standby's can have variety. Elves for example. There are as many types of them as there are humans and so each can have distinct character with only minor consistent similarities.

But when you cross into "other" things like beasts, and demons, the "subtle differences" that make up much of the character of different elf factions is lost.

Most people wouldnt recognize the conceptualization differences between Devils and Demons, for example. (D&D people are out there who know what I'm talking about)

So if someone had a "demons" faction, and another person had a "devils" faction - most people would think they're the same thing or play very similarlly, where as "Frost elves" sound wholey different than "Swamp Elves." This is just part of the way people think.

A unique name like "The Aragwaith" is just so out there, that people cant know what it is until they try it. I personally think of them as flashy, smooth-operating, martialists. But that's just me.

Anyway, I wish you luck. And it all starts with an idea, stick to a concept instead of a mechanic or specific name - and you'll be delightfully suprized how the rest can fall into place.

-Qes
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
holyknight

Post by holyknight »

Thanks, and I've been thinking a lot about this while I was sleeping (I get bored when I sleep, so I like to think about stuff) and I decided to change some stuff. I'm gonna get rid of marauder, berzerker. I'm gonna change some names of the units, and I'm going to put an extra unit.

I now have bats in my army instead of marauders
and I also changed some units like "chosen hunter" to "gifted hunter" as in being gifted by the Dark God.
O yea, now instead of Chaos God, I'm changing to Dark God.

I haven't really thought about the name yet, something like the Corrupters, Zealots, Cultists, or something. I bet you guys have better names, so please share with me.

Also, the expanded era for Chaos was... no offense, but really bad... I got owned by computers in 1-1 and stuff... Mauraders keep missing and die fast, hounds die fast, mutations are too slow, and you know... other negative stuff.