Plagued Ones (development stage:coding/publishing)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Angels Fell First

Post by Angels Fell First »

ok so ive spent a few hours play testing these dudes, and ive found a few things that keep appearing.

-Sin incarnate is a [censored], get him and you practically win (though he is a lvl 4 and very hard to get on anything but a 30%exp map. Plagued Peasants and warriors die very easily so good luck lol)

-Plagued ones fight best at night, they go from being less than average to powerful

-Plagued ones fight best against drakes and undead, I have beated other factions, just these seem the easiest.

ok now a hints for how to use each unit.

NOTE: this is based on this version, in the next few days i will be modifiying them considerably, as they seem a bit over powered

Plagued Peasant: pretty simple, a cheap warrior, dealing poor damage, use to finnish weakened units, and to level.

Plagued Warriors/Plagued Archer: your basic warrior thoguh you need to level the peasant to get them. Just use like your basic warrior, though they die very quickly if isolated so use with butcher or other warriors/archers.

Butcher: your tanker, he is powerful for a lvl 1 and has a fair bit of HP, downside though he is 27 gold, and takes a long time to level to spawn.

Carrier line: simple..poison poison poison :D , they are more expensive than the peasant and the do about the same damage, but they cause posoin, which can be very effective. In the next version they will be invisible at night, making it more of a reason to have them.

Plagued mutt line: Basically your cavalry unit. Relatively strong attack, but does die quickly, and with no ranged defence, is a target. With movement 7, they are good for taking out weakened units and base capturing.

Mage line: these are you only magic. Very powerful at night (didn't really realise till i tried them out lol) and they dont die very quickly which is good.

Ill add some more when ive played a bit more with the units, and all this will be updated when the first version comes out.

EDIT: how would i go about uploading this faction, once finnished?
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

[quote="Angels Fell First"]ok so ive spent a few hours play testing these dudes, and ive found a few things that keep appearing.

-Sin incarnate is a [censored], get him and you practically win (though he is a lvl 4 and very hard to get on anything but a 30%exp map. Plagued Peasants and warriors die very easily so good luck lol)

-Plagued ones fight best at night, they go from being less than average to powerful

-Plagued ones fight best against drakes and undead, I have beated other factions, just these seem the easiest.

ok now a hints for how to use each unit.

NOTE: this is based on this version, in the next few days i will be modifiying them considerably, as they seem a bit over powered

Plagued Peasant: pretty simple, a cheap warrior, dealing poor damage, use to finnish weakened units, and to level.

Plagued Warriors/Plagued Archer: your basic warrior thoguh you need to level the peasant to get them. Just use like your basic warrior, though they die very quickly if isolated so use with butcher or other warriors/archers.

Butcher: your tanker, he is powerful for a lvl 1 and has a fair bit of HP, downside though he is 27 gold, and takes a long time to level to spawn.

Carrier line: simple..poison poison poison :D , they are more expensive than the peasant and the do about the same damage, but they cause posoin, which can be very effective. In the next version they will be invisible at night, making it more of a reason to have them.

Plagued mutt line: Basically your cavalry unit. Relatively strong attack, but does die quickly, and with no ranged defence, is a target. With movement 7, they are good for taking out weakened units and base capturing.

Mage line: these are you only magic. Very powerful at night (didn't really realise till i tried them out lol) and they dont die very quickly which is good.

Ill add some more when ive played a bit more with the units, and all this will be updated when the first version comes out.

EDIT: how would i go about uploading this faction, once finnished?[/quote]

Can i play test please?
If i could i would turn into a world ruler!
Angels Fell First

hey, i am still here, just college has my main priorities here.

Since been away ive done a few more plave holder art for some new lines, and most of it is coded. I want to publish this on the campaign server, but apparently its changed with the new version and i dont actually know how. Please help!!!

Also Kuolon Tanssi has taken over artwork for the faction. Ive seen some of his sprites and i believe he can do a good job at making them look unique, though i will still be in charge of coding and shizz when im avaliable.

But yeah please help!! i need to know how i can publish this onto the server
Kuolon Tanssi

Post by Kuolon Tanssi »

Angels Fell First wrote:
Also Kuolon Tanssi has taken over artwork for the faction. Ive seen some of his sprites and i believe he can do a good job at making them look unique, though i will still be in charge of coding and shizz when im avaliable.
oh my lol, I have started on them, should have the first few done in the next few days, I'll make a post with them in
"time for one more dream?"
Angels Fell First

gdgd :D

just thought i would add the next faction tree.

The additional ones were done by a friend of mine so he gets the credit

he also wants me to remind people taht theses are very quickly done place holders. Kuolon Tanssi will get some sprites done..hopefully lol
Attachments
Faction tree in p2.png
Faction tree in p2.png (71.08 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

The butcher needs more visabilaty
Angels Fell First

Tom of wesnoth wrote:The butcher needs more visabilaty
Thats mearly a place holder, we have nothing else to use for the butcher, though a necrophage might be a good one for now.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

For sending this to the add-on server read this.

The submission process
Once your units has all the prerequisits (see below) you should zip all data (images, cfg, sounds etc...) in a single patch and post it in patches.wesnoth.org. Please comment heavily when submitting the patch, and always provide a name/mail/forum name so we can reach you to discuss the unit.

From there, a dev will take the patch and get it through a review process which will include:
* asking art devs if the art is good enough
* asking the MP devs if the unit is balanced/useful etc...
more people involved?
Note that at any of these stages, your unit could be entirely dropped for reasons like: "we don't like it" or "there are enough units in this faction". Don't feel bad about it, as I said earlier, adding a unit is a hard process (Wesnoth already has more than 200 units) and success is not guaranteed.

Art requirements
Note that the art devs are perfectly allowed to reject a unit because it's "not good enough," or "doesn't match." It's usually a good idea to have a thread on the unit art for discussion/improvement first.
All units should:
* follow these standards on the Wiki.
* be Team Colored (not neccesary for "monsters" and campaign specific units)
* for each new kinds of attack, include an Attack Icon (in the new style)
* for new kinds of ranged attacks, also include graphics for the Missile
* have at least 1 frame for all of the following:
* standing
* each distinct attack
* defence
* leadership and healing (if applicable)

Sound requirements
All units should be "wired" for sounds on the following events:
* get hit
* die
* a hit and miss sound for each Melee attack (miss is optional in rare cases)
* a sound for each Ranged attack (miss is optional)
Angels Fell First

Tom of wesnoth wrote:For sending this to the add-on server read this.

The submission process
Once your units has all the prerequisits (see below) you should zip all data (images, cfg, sounds etc...) in a single patch and post it in patches.wesnoth.org. Please comment heavily when submitting the patch, and always provide a name/mail/forum name so we can reach you to discuss the unit.

From there, a dev will take the patch and get it through a review process which will include:
* asking art devs if the art is good enough
* asking the MP devs if the unit is balanced/useful etc...
more people involved?
Note that at any of these stages, your unit could be entirely dropped for reasons like: "we don't like it" or "there are enough units in this faction". Don't feel bad about it, as I said earlier, adding a unit is a hard process (Wesnoth already has more than 200 units) and success is not guaranteed.

Art requirements
Note that the art devs are perfectly allowed to reject a unit because it's "not good enough," or "doesn't match." It's usually a good idea to have a thread on the unit art for discussion/improvement first.
All units should:
* follow these standards on the Wiki.
* be Team Colored (not neccesary for "monsters" and campaign specific units)
* for each new kinds of attack, include an Attack Icon (in the new style)
* for new kinds of ranged attacks, also include graphics for the Missile
* have at least 1 frame for all of the following:
* standing
* each distinct attack
* defence
* leadership and healing (if applicable)

Sound requirements
All units should be "wired" for sounds on the following events:
* get hit
* die
* a hit and miss sound for each Melee attack (miss is optional in rare cases)
* a sound for each Ranged attack (miss is optional)
Im pretty sure thats for mainline factions.

I was browsing the other day, and there are plenty of multiplayer factions that appear in there, which dont meet half the requirements
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed it is. Those conditions must be fulfilled before a faction will be considered for mainline, but for addon server stuff, that's not the case. Heck, those rules are not immutable, even for mainline. There are a few mainline units (undergoing revisions) which do not meet those requirements.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Angels Fell First

thespaceinvader wrote:Indeed it is. Those conditions must be fulfilled before a faction will be considered for mainline, but for addon server stuff, that's not the case. Heck, those rules are not immutable, even for mainline. There are a few mainline units (undergoing revisions) which do not meet those requirements.
so how might i go about getting them onto the add-on server?

the wiki page is apparently out of date and the method has changed
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The mechanics of that, i'm afraid, i don't know.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

look up pbl files on the wiki.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Angels Fell First

Weeksy wrote:look up pbl files on the wiki.
Wow thats confussing, well the page is was on anyways. But the end result still came out as going to the add-on server option and publishing rea/campagin (which is now outdated) I shall keep searching though.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:?: Why do you think the method given there is outdated? It's not.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm