Trolls

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish Vanquisher

Trolls

Post by Elvish Vanquisher »

I do not now of everyone else's idears but i thought the addition of the troll shaman in 'under the burning suns' is what the troll race needed. Would n't be great if trolls could have a makeover like the nagas did with naga shaman, hunter etc. Is any intrested in making some more troll units and maybe even startin their own force to play as in multiplayer
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

No.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I completely agree with zookeeper.
Elvish Vanquisher

Post by Elvish Vanquisher »

zookepper do u just not like my posts and why not.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

*sigh* Please stop being inane.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Just to list a couple reasons...
A troll with healing would be pointless(regen)
Trolls don't seem to have a cavalry or scout equivilent within reason.
Unless you seriously changed the troll additude/approch, then there would not be enough veriety they mostly have variouse forms of pounding on the enemy.
It would be imposible to balance and make interesting without completely changing trolls (for points listed above)
There is no real damand so there is little reason for anyone to expend the effort.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

Elvish Vanquisher wrote:zookepper do u just not like my posts and why not.
I'm fairly certain that I can accurately deduce Zookeeper's primary source of contempt for your posts: your apparent incompetence in communicating via the English language.

As for the "suggestion" of creating a troll-only multiplayer race, Velensk addressed the mechanical difficulties with that, and in terms of the roleplaying reasoning, it makes little sense to have trolls as part of the Northerners and in their own faction. Then you'd have to get rid of trolls from the Northerners, and people will want to hurt you for that.
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
Gus

Post by Gus »

Ultimatum479 wrote: I'm fairly certain that I can accurately deduce Zookeeper's primary source of contempt for your posts: your apparent incompetence in communicating via the English language.
Because it's well-known everyone MUST speak English, even though it is not necessarily their native language, to use international forums.

As an aside, zookeeper is most certainly not showing contempt for his English. Even though his English is very good, he is not a native speaker, so he wouldn't do that. It's simply that the idea is not given much thought, and is useless. Still, i feel some people (as it stands, mostly native English-speaking people) should definitely refrain from criticizing those who make the effort to communicate in a language they don't necessarily master.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Ultimatum479

Post by Ultimatum479 »

Gus wrote:As an aside, zookeeper is most certainly not showing contempt for his English. Even though his English is very good, he is not a native speaker, so he wouldn't do that.
zookeeper wrote:
Elvish Vanquisher wrote:i have finished most of the campaigns so anyone who needs help just ask
We need help in having less pointless threads around (as well as ones without punctiation).
Think again.
Chosen to be: Avatar of the God of Vengeance

Duty-bound to be: Last chance for the oppressed non-humans of the world

Accidentally became: Co-founder of the Council of Linac Mux

Self-nominated (pending election): Forum SUPERMOD!
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

I don't know abou you but I can understand the difference between contempt for somebodys grasp of language and contempt for his application. I deeply dislike people who use pseudol33t ignore punctuation, grammar and spelling rules. I think that kind of approach is nothing more than lack of respect for people that might read it, because while he invests no effort at all I need extra effort to translate it into understandeable text. I have an impression zookeeper has similar views.

And to round it up, yes, this is international forum that uses english, which means that everybody should do their best to be understood without trouble by everyone else. Have you ever considered how hard it might be for non-native english speaker with less than fluent knowledge of it to understand those "sentences"?
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

the reason for "no" is because of a few reasons:

1.Trolls are a specific part of another faction: in mainline they are not their own faction, but instead a support unit for orcs, much like the naga is. In mainline, there are only nagas (do you mean mermen?)

2. What use would trolls have for a shaman, game-playwise. There isn't really a place for them in the faction without screwing up balance, and making each faction less distinct.

However, if you want to make the unit and put a MP era with it online, feel free, and let people test out your idea. Just don't expect to make it "official"
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Darn Penguin

Post by Darn Penguin »

Well, if made to suit the needs of a new era with its own backstory, a troll faction is still potentially useful.

There could be smaller, lighter trolls in this faction that were intentionally slimmed down by the trolls to weaken them and hinder their regeneration ability. These slave trolls are used by the troll faction to do their dirty work, such as fishing and digging tunnels, but are also used as scouts in time of war to alert the trolls of threats to their home turf.

When these trolls get injured and are rendered unable to perform their duties, that's when the medics are sent in. While troll medicine is crude and often painful, it has proven effective enough to get laborers back on their feet in time to avoid any significant backups.
Out with the old, in with the new.
Hi folks! Remember me? Please say no.
bert1

Post by bert1 »

I was thinking that Trolls might harness their regeneration ability by cutting off the arms of young trolls, attaching wing shaped moulds to the stumps and then regrowing the arms as wings. A sort of bomber troll who drops rocks.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Mist wrote:I deeply dislike people who use pseudol33t ignore punctuation, grammar and spelling rules. I think that kind of approach is nothing more than lack of respect for people that might read it, because while he invests no effort at all I need extra effort to translate it into understandeable text. I have an impression zookeeper has similar views.

And to round it up, yes, this is international forum that uses english, which means that everybody should do their best to be understood without trouble by everyone else. Have you ever considered how hard it might be for non-native english speaker with less than fluent knowledge of it to understand those "sentences"?
That's essentially the opinion of the devs and moderators (though for some it would be more accurate to say "are annoyed by" rather than "deeply dislike") About half of the devs are not native English speakers. It's usually pretty easy to distinguish those who are unfamiliar with english from those who are too lazy or incoherent to express themselves clearly.

HINT: if you want anyone to bother with your ideas around here, you must do your best to express them clearly and throughly, and usually be willing to do some of the work yourself.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
JW

Post by JW »

Everyone who isn't me is stupid. Prove me wrong.

Oh wait, you didn't mean forum trolls, you meant game trolls.

I'd better put a " :P " or a " 8) " face, or some people might not actually get the joke.

8)