PickYourRecruits Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

PickYourRecruits Era

Post by zookeeper »

The basic idea of the era is that on the first turn, each player chooses the units they wish to have available on their recruit list. There's currently only one era in the add-on, one which allows each player to pick up to 5 recruits from all the recruitable default era units, but anyone with just basic knowledge of WML can easily change the unit palette or add new variations of the era with different cost or unit limits.

You'll find this on the 1.8 add-on server, and even on the old 1.6, 1.4 and 1.2 (1.2.4 or later required to play).

Have fun! Note that individual player don't need to have this era installed before playing, since the era doesn't use any custom units. So you should be able to safely join a PickYourRecruits Era game even if you don't have the era installed yourself.
Last edited by zookeeper on July 13th, 2009, 6:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

One minor aesthetic complaint: it shouldn't say (for example) "Dwarvish Thunderer,Dwarvish Fighter", it should say "Dwarvish Thunderer, Dwarvish Fighter". Notice the extra space?

[edit]
Also, this probably isn't possible to do, but it would be nice if it "warning, AI can't play this era very well" message didn't appear if you set it to droid after choosing its recruits for it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:One minor aesthetic complaint: it shouldn't say (for example) "Dwarvish Thunderer,Dwarvish Fighter", it should say "Dwarvish Thunderer, Dwarvish Fighter". Notice the extra space?
Yeah. It wouldn't be hard to do that, but a bit annoying since I'll have to double up some bookkeeping for that...but sure, I'll probably do that sooner or later. I'll probably make it look like a proper list with linebreaks and some pretty text colouring or something like that when I do it.
turin wrote:Also, this probably isn't possible to do, but it would be nice if it "warning, AI can't play this era very well" message didn't appear if you set it to droid after choosing its recruits for it.
That's trivial to do, actually. Or more precisely, it was trivial to do. Attachment updated.

EDIT: Actually, the warning is still displayed if you droid during the first turn (but if you droid at the beginning of the second turn, no problems). I think this is actually something that shouldn't happen, so I might be inclined to classify it as a bug in Wesnoth...
JW

Post by JW »

Sweet. I'm looking forward to playing this later with jb, Myth, Noy, Bece, and others. :p
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Re: PickYourRecruits Era

Post by Noyga »

zookeeper wrote:I haven't put this on the add-on servers, since this requires some post-1.3.1 and post-1.2.3 changes to work correctly, but I'll add it when new releases come out which contain those bugfixes. For now, here's the file attached (yes, it's just one file) for those who can compile from SVN themselves and want to try this out before new releases come out.
The era event bug has been fixed in 1.3.1 and 1.2.3, so they should work with these versions and above.
Btw there is a bug in event handling in 1.3.1, i think it has been fixed in SVN but 1.3.1 is affected, this might have an effect here.
And, on the 1.2 server it means that everyone need 1.2.3 in order to play with this era (era events are broken in 1.2.2 and below).
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: PickYourRecruits Era

Post by zookeeper »

Noyga wrote:
zookeeper wrote:I haven't put this on the add-on servers, since this requires some post-1.3.1 and post-1.2.3 changes to work correctly, but I'll add it when new releases come out which contain those bugfixes. For now, here's the file attached (yes, it's just one file) for those who can compile from SVN themselves and want to try this out before new releases come out.
The era event bug has been fixed in 1.3.1 and 1.2.3, so they should work with these versions and above.
Btw there is a bug in event handling in 1.3.1, i think it has been fixed in SVN but 1.3.1 is affected, this might have an effect here.
And, on the 1.2 server it means that everyone need 1.2.3 in order to play with this era (era events are broken in 1.2.2 and below).
In addition to the era events bugfix, this requires the bugfix of r16283 as well. I could have worked around that with some tiny little visible in-game changes, but being a bit perfectionist on these things I didn't. ;)
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Nice work zookeeper, I'll be sure to test this out soon.

:)
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

1.3.2 is now out, so I've uploaded this to the 1.3 add-on server. I'll check later whether this is actually 1.2.4-compatible and if so, I'll put it up there too.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

I had a pretty fun time with my first game using it in a while, sadly the rng decided to slay me :(
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

It is a pretty cool concept.
Unfortunately i found that my first custom made faction wasn't very balanced. :shock:
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Becephalus wrote:I had a pretty fun time with my first game using it in a while, sadly the rng decided to slay me :(
No, it was me :P .

P.S.: Thanks for this cool era zookeeper.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Uploaded a slightly revised version to the 1.3 server. Only small cosmetic and internal tweaks, so no gameplay changes of any kind.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Uploaded to the 1.2 add-on server as well, since this seemed to work with 1.2.4 just fine.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

A new version on the 1.3 add-on server, including the following changes:
  • If a leader doesn't stand on a keep and/or have a castle hex next to him on scenario start, he'll be provided with temporary ones for turn 1 so he can pick his recruits. This means that sides for example on funny survival and whatnot scenarios which would normally start being unable to recruit on the first turn can still pick their recruits.
  • The host of a game doesn't anymore get messages about what recruits an AI side picks.
These changes do not apply to the 1.2 version. At least not yet.

EDIT: Oops, a bug which prevented recruiting on and after turn 2 had slipped in. Fixed.
Jami

Post by Jami »

Thief, DA, Elvish Fighter, Merman Hunter, Saurian Augur, and a Drake Flare as a leader.

A flying Leadership unit, cheap and potent fodder units, a healer with a nice magic attack, mixed with two high-damage units = win!

I love this era so much...