bugs (as in insects)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Oooh... "Pulverize" :D

Change the mosquito's attack to "bite", but other than that I have no quibble with your stats!
I think what Christiano is saying is have the assasin line go

Code: Select all

Assasin bug --> Wheel bug
Am I right?

Christiano, I'm more than happy to keep up with drawing art! Insects are fun!
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Skizzaltix wrote:Oooh... "Pulverize" :D

Change the mosquito's attack to "bite", but other than that I have no quibble with your stats!
I think what Christiano is saying is have the assasin line go

Assasin bug --> Wheel bug
Am I right?

Christiano, I'm more than happy to keep up with drawing art! Insects are fun!
how about blood transfusion? it's a bite yes, but biting resembles blade... stinging resembles pierce. i think we could have that be blood transfusion. yes, pulverize is pretty cool. stag/ rinocerous beetles have a "horn" on their head, and they smack the opponent with this to "slow" them. :D
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Well, I've never thought that the names have any real connection tot he type, but it's not my decision, whatever Christiano and you decide is fine by me.
I put together a larva.cfg file, and so here is the as-of-yet complete Larva unit in a .zip file, for your convenience:

Oh yeah. I have a lot of spare time, so tommorrow or the next day I could get together .cfgs for all the units. Sound good?
Attachments
larva.zip
Larva zip!
(3.43 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Skizzaltix wrote:Well, I've never thought that the names have any real connection tot he type, but it's not my decision, whatever Christiano and you decide is fine by me.
I put together a larva.cfg file, and so here is the as-of-yet complete Larva unit in a .zip file, for your convenience:

Oh yeah. I have a lot of spare time, so tommorrow or the next day I could get together .cfgs for all the units. Sound good?
well, here's where i come from- i can guide people where to go, but i can't do any of the work myself, i'm still learning basic programming skills. that could be nice if you did all the .cfgs for the units. the things i can do i do do. (like setting up stats, etc.) i also WILL test the faction when it comes out. :)
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Okay, I love doing .cfgs. And I'm used to it. I should have them ready by the end of the year (And, I can say that right now and it's not a completely bad deal :lol: )

I'll also keep doing unit art, but if there's one thing I'm really bad at it's getting ideas. Please say what you envision each unit as looking like, and I can work off that.

Thanks!
christiano_l

Post by christiano_l »

sorry for letting you guys waiting :D but i had to make exams, and i'm sleeping most of the time you guys reply :D but it was indeed the point making the line assasin bug--> wheel bug :D
thanx for all your input, and thx for making the cfg filles, i could have done it myself but it would have taken a long time :D another problem is that my brother has stopped is atempts to make art as he didn't make any progress , but i'll try to fix that, as i have 2 weeks of free time now. but don't expect to miuch from it :D they wont be anywear near as good as the larva's but that wont be the end of the world.

grts christiano
He was slain at last by Gothmog,
the Lord of Balrogs,
and such was the ferocity of his spirit
that after his death,
his body was consumed by flame.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Well, I have to say, that larva is probably the best sprite I've ever drawn. I just tried to draw a mantis, and it looks pretty bad.

But, I'm gonna start posting the sprites in a new topic in the Art Contributions forum, so look there for the mantis.
Also, I'll probably end up doing the .cfgs as I draw stuff, so if anyone else wants to do the higher level unit's .cfgs while I'm still doing level ones, that would be great too.
christiano_l

Post by christiano_l »

I'll do the higher level cfg's
but the problem is that I dont know yet how we have to do the solo ant leadership but i'll figer that out
grts
the Lord of Balrogs,
that after his death,
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Okay, I don't know how we can do the leadership thing, but if you need any help ask me, I have some skill with WML.

Here is the Mantis .cfg file:
Attachments
mantis.cfg
Mantis .cfg
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

DraconicBlessing wrote:
I just felt like I had to throw this in there - that's a description very similar to "Anty Ant".

Formic (methanoic) acid, is only called that, because it originally came from the ants (as far as I know).
I know, the name came from the ant Formicae but I'm assuming that most people don't know that. It sounds good, so it's okay.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Skizzaltix wrote:Okay, I don't know how we can do the leadership thing
Is this meant to be 'Leadership for ants only'? If so:

#define ABILITY_HIVE_MIND
[leadership]
id=leadership
value=25
cumulative=no
name= _ "hive mind"
description= _ "Hive Mind:
This unit can focus and coordinate the activities of other ants nearby.

Adjacent friendly ants will do 25% more damage in battle."
affect_self=no
[affect_adjacent]
adjacent=n,ne,se,s,sw,nw
[filter]
race=ant
[/filter]
[/affect_adjacent]
[/leadership]
#enddef
This gives a 25% damage boost to all adjacent ants, regardless of their level.

As an interesting alternative, to even further emphasise the fact that they work best in hordes, you could lower the damage boost (defined as 'value') and change 'cumulative' to 'yes'. In this case, an ant could be 'led' by more than one Hive Mind unit at a time, and should in theory recieve a greater bonus for having several adjacent leaders. This would work especially well if you eliminate the 'leader' branch completely and just give every ant the Hive Mind ability.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
christiano_l

Post by christiano_l »

yep thats what i meant :D
i was going to drop the leader ant line already but now i have a alternative, the leadership will be used in a cumulative way so each ant will have aproximitly 10 % leadership or something like that
thank you verry much for making the wml ;)
the Lord of Balrogs,
that after his death,
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

:D Thank you very much, Fiach!
I don't know, but yes, probably it will end up with it being a 10% boost and cumulative.
Thank you!

EDIT:
Haha, we both replied at the same time, Christiano.

Anyway, here's an updated mantis (I forgot to add the ambush ability :oops: ), an ant, and a file with the two new species Ant and Insect in it. It also has all the abilities.
Attachments
mantis.cfg
Mantis .cfg
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
ant.cfg
Ant .cfg
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
races.cfg
Races .cfg
(538 Bytes) Downloaded 299 times
Last edited by Skizzaltix on December 22nd, 2006, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

No problem :)
I like to help people out with little stuff like this, it gives me something to distract myself from what I'm actually supposed to be doing!

Be aware, though, that I haven't tested this, so I don't know whether the cumulative effect will work as expected (or, in fact, at all).
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Well, if it doesn't work I'm sure we can figure something out.

Check the art thread, I'm about to post some new stuff in it. (Click on the "Insect" in my signature)