WW1 era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

SkeletonCrew wrote:For the airplane being immune against melee see this thread http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14351 as long as the plane has no melee attack the idea should work.
There are two totally different solutions there, one by Baufo and one by myself. I have to say, Baufo's is far more complicated than it needs to be, while mine only works if the plane does have a melee attack (which made perfect sense for a vampire bat, but doesn't really work for a fighter plane...)

Try this modified version:

Code: Select all

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_EVASION
[chance_to_hit] 
id=evasion 
name= _ "evasion" 
description= _ "Evasion: 
Whenever this attack is used, neither this unit nor the enemy takes any damage." 
value=0 
cumulative=no 
apply_to=both
[/chance_to_hit] 
#enddef
This is a simple variation on the Magical ability. For it to work, the plane does need a melee attack with this special - but the attack has a 0% chance to hit, and sets the opponent's attack to also miss automatically.
SkeletonCrew wrote:I've been thinking about the barb wire/trench thing ...This only won't work in multiplayer I is that a problem?
It won't work with the current version, but from what I've read Sapient has done some work on how to solve this issue, so it might be possible in future versions.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl »

About the discussion of the era name in the art thread:

What about Blood & Iron: Europe?
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

I've begun (is it right ?! ) to write down the units characteristics, I'm done with the french faction's characteristics, but I'm really not sure if these are good or not, so I'd really appreciate if you could take a look at these, and tell me what you think. Some quick notes about some units:
genie: this unit will be used to dig/remove trench and barbed wires.
aircrafts: this units will be "immune" to melee attack, and should get back to an airfield every two turns(1st turn: fly, 2nd turn: airfield, then fly, then airfield,...). They should not be affected by ZoC.
Artillery: I made them have really little movement points, as I'd like them to be able to have long range attacks(about 5-6 hex), but they should not be able to attack the adjacent hex.
Machine guns: would fire "middle" range (something like 2-3 hex, but I'm not really sure if it's a good idea...)

About the artillery and the long range attacks, I'm aware that it could lead to the supremacy of artillery, but I thought of a trick to counter-balance that: when a canon shots, the player select where to shoot, and the hit falls randomly on the hex selected or one of its adjacent hex, creating eventually a shell hole or drop gas cloud on the hex hit. This would lower the power of artillery, and should prevent players to use artillery while having foot units engaged in a melee with opponents troops, as firing artillery on an enemy unit could hurt the player's units.

Ok these are some basic ideas about the gameplay, trying to catch the feel of WW1 warfare without sacrificing gameplay. I don't know if these are possible, some of you already pointed that some are possible, and showed me ways to achieve this (though I still haven't tried yet... :? ). Actually not much is done, just some graphics, the trees and french units characteristics, and I'm quite open-minded, so if you think some ideas are bad, and/or have other ideas, don't hesitate ! Anyway, tell me what you think of the unit's characteristics, I have probably done some beginner's errors... And about the name, as I said, I think I'll stick with Storm of Steel, but thanks for the proposition ! :wink:

Oh, and about the attached file, I didn't knew which would be the best format to post, as I did this in OpenOffice, so I saved it in html, I think you all have a browser... :wink:

PS: I almost forgot: Happy new year to everyone, and best wishes !!! :D
PPS: I've also begun ( :? ) to work on a little website for SoS...
Attachments
france.html.zip
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
appleide

Post by appleide »

BloodIssyl wrote:About the discussion of the era name in the art thread:

What about Blood & Iron: Europe?
Sounds like a great name for a WWII-era.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.