Blackpowder elves:just an idea,but please give feedback!!!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kisko

Blackpowder elves:just an idea,but please give feedback!!!

Post by kisko »

This is just an idea,but hopefully it will evolve into something more.
Ok,We all know that there are many instances of dwarves(or dwarvish creatures) having better technology.guns,gyrocopters(I've only seen this as an idea,but i have an old version of wesnoth with no internet so i do not know) even robots in some player-made eras.But what if this kind of technology was discovered by elves?I'm picturing...less bulky.
Like long,elegant muskets,davinci-like flying machines(with flapping wings instead of helicopterishness),maybe even clockwork horses. The elves would still wear fancy armor,but blacker,and spikier.It would be an elvish race where the elves took the science route instead of the magic route.
It may seem like it clashes,but picture the tech more victorian,and it will make more sense.
Please give feedback!!!!
this one goes to 11
I must have tooken a wrong turn at palshife
be canoli:that's not a moon,that's a melon
halleck

Post by halleck »

It sorta makes sense... I dont see anyone stopping you. :|
Why would thier armor be black and spikey though? Are they emo elves?!

PS: Our last drummer died from choking on another woman's vomit... The one before that spontaneously combusted... :lol:
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Woah - check out his join date and postcount. What a lurker!

Anyways, the idea is...interesting. A different spin on a race, a busting of an old cliche. Turin will hate you for that, but I don't think it's that bad.

Can you do art?
hey.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well some parts of this already exist in some user factions :
- The Dwarves of the Extended era have Gyrocopters, flamethrowers and Wheel vehicules.
- The Clockwork Dwarves have robots and all the faction is based on their more advanced clockwork technology
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Feral

Post by Feral »

Interesting idea, but i think elves are a little too magic-oriented. I would suggest a more, um, scientific-ish creture,like dwarves (but that's already been done, of course), so i would suggest gnomes or their ilk. Some short, relatively pathetic creature whose survival as a race largely depends on technology. So they get inventive. But then, that's just my opinion.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Feral wrote:Interesting idea, but i think elves are a little too magic-oriented. I would suggest a more, um, scientific-ish creture,like dwarves (but that's already been done, of course), so i would suggest gnomes or their ilk. Some short, relatively pathetic creature whose survival as a race largely depends on technology. So they get inventive. But then, that's just my opinion.
Who cares about stereotypes! There is nothing more wrong with current fantasy than those them stereotypes! Break away from them (as I'm doing in with project -see sig-). Go for it, make them Clockwork Elves.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Feral

Post by Feral »

Just a note:

That's why i put 'but that's just my opinion'.

Don't get me wrong, i think it's a good idea, but i just personally think elves aren't the best race for such an idea. Or their technology should be magic-based. But still don't get me wrong. It's just MY opinion, and if you wanna ignore it, i don't have a problem with it.
A Templar Knight is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side. For his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by armor of steel. He is thus doubly armed, and need fear neither demons nor men.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

would be cooler if you could find a way to intergrate magic into the elves' technology instead of dwarven tech. I know the stereotype is overused, but elves with machines and such just seems out of place and doesn't sound attractive. I'm surprised Turin hasn't posted here yet (develop as quick as you can :P )
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

If you follow the sterotype, they're not the best for it. Obviously. But these are not stereotypical elves, either. That's the -point-.

They will never make it into mainline. Just so you're aware.

Rather than sleek muskets, perhaps cavalry with pistols or carbines.... I would imagine heavy weapons (muskets and cannon) to be the Dwarves' purvey.... Just a thought. More later, if I'm in the mood.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
kisko

Post by kisko »

Ok,the blackness was because of soot,we don't need spikes.It was just to show thier,"grittyness" compared to other elves.I would like it too feel magical,but still be tech.very stylised compared to dwarves.
And yes,i kind of am a lurker.I've played the game for years....
this one goes to 11
I must have tooken a wrong turn at palshife
be canoli:that's not a moon,that's a melon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Flametrooper wrote:Woah - check out his join date and postcount. What a lurker!

Anyways, the idea is...interesting. A different spin on a race, a busting of an old cliche. Turin will hate you for that, but I don't think it's that bad.

Can you do art?
Don't tell me what I'm going to hate! ;)

The idea of elves using technology is not in and of itself bad. However, you have to really consider how the elves' being immortal would change the development of technology. IMHO doing this leads to much different details than you've come up with. And the devil is in the details. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Sorry - premature assumption based on, er, past experience. Forgive me, O Black Sword. :wink:

So, are Wesnoth's elves really immortal? I guess so, but I always though they weren't really - My impression was unlike in Tolkien, they just lived for a really long time. But even that might effect technology - they would get really old, and they would learn more and more, get better and better... If an elf had a lifetime, and that lifetime lasted forever, he would become nigh-invincible, especially if he could integrate some magic into it as well. Although magic integration would be cool. Imagine - magically targetted weapons, flying transporters, teleporters, telekenisis-operated devices - all powered not by future technology, but rather by an infusion of science and magic.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I think the french company Rackham did a very good job with their "Cynwall Elves". They basically have a plethora of very decorated armour, early firearms, clockwork androids and other small contraptions, like special systems inside their crossbows.

It goes from this kind of tiny guy to this kind of guy.

I do consider clockwork elves to be a good concept, and you don't seem to shoot too far from what they did. They do use magic there, though.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Flare

Post by Flare »

Maybe it's just me, but every time I hear technological elves, I hear 40K Eldar. In any case, I don't think a discussion of elves with technology would do well without considering how the Elvish psyche would approach things of craft. For example, I can see Elves using light flying machines, but not steam, and I can't see an elf with a gun. The Elvish fascination with magic would also seem to indicate that they would merge any sort of technology with magic. Wrong time period, but the 40K Wraithlord (Take a robotic shell, use "magic" to transfer the spirit of a dead guy into it, presto, instant killing machine) is an example of what I'm talking about.
Hey, 20 gazillion lemmings can't all be wrong...right?
ch40s

Post by ch40s »

I think there are already too much elves