New "Urban" Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pwnzerIV

New "Urban" Era

Post by pwnzerIV »

I've started making an era that is based on more urban fighting. This era will have multiple "Guilds" and will hopefully be ready to play in a few weeks.

I've done alot of the coding alreay and started making substitute art for the units already.

The gangs all include many different people with some lawful and some chaotic.

There is an Urban Elf gang which include many seperate types of elves made for more close range combat. The few ranged weapons in this era tend to be short-bows that do a lot of damage in few shots. They also have tamed panthers.

There is an "Outcast" guild whcih includes units like Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, Drunks, Rouge Dwavrves, and Halfling Theives.

There is a Halfling-based guild which has Halfling Theives aswell, Gnome Inventors and Mages, and Halfling Rouges. They XP into Drug Lords and War Mages.

There is also a Royal Guard, these have Armored units and Cavalry and attempt to quell the rising super-powers in the city. They also have a large amount of leadership units.

There are also two other guilds which are Chaotic and Lawful. They both grab a few units from other factions that would make sense to be on the same size.

Remember all pf these guilds are not supposed to be that different, although there are many differences, multiple factions have Halfling Theives, multiple factions have Street Rangers, multiple factions have Gnome mages - and so on...

I intend to make some Campaigns but at this point im not sure how that will go. I know I will make some Urban maps designed specifically for this era. Some of those mapes will be fought in a large city, and some out of multiple small villages.

As a note this list of factions is not definitive and a couple of factions may end up getting pulled out.

At this point any art that anyone will contribute will be incradibly useful, but i am making substitute art files for now.
kcits

Post by kcits »

Good luck with that, and I look forwad to seing it! :)
River, please, why don't you come on out?
"No! I can't. Too much hair."...
JW

Post by JW »

When yuo finish it, be sure to put it on the campaign server so others can enjoy playing it.
pwnzerIV

Anyone interested in helping

Post by pwnzerIV »

If you are interested in helping please - I need art for halflings.

Most of this era will be based on DnD - and Salvatore's books which are based on DnD. If anyone is familiar with Calimport - this is a modified idea on that.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I figured that was the basis when I read the proposal...

Now I have to make a Jarlaxle-based faction to take over your entire era. With an Entreri hero leader.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
pwnzerIV

Coding well on it's way

Post by pwnzerIV »

In a few days I hope to have finished all the neccessary coding for the faction. The images will take a little longer, and I think the halflings will be difficult to make. Well, I hope it'll work.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

halflings are hairless dwarves, they shouldn't be that hard.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Slaaaag! I am in Forum Curmudgeon heaven! You really have all of this coded already? Slag! This and the Mage faction just made my month.

((Slag is my own form of expletive. Multi-purpose and (usually) non-offensive. In this case used to express delight and astonishment.))
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Flare

Post by Flare »

I gather that intelligent newbies are in short supply here?
Hey, 20 gazillion lemmings can't all be wrong...right?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Flare wrote:I gather that intelligent newbies are in short supply here?
Where are they not?

BTW, I like the signature. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
pwnzerIV

Just so you don't get the wrong impression...

Post by pwnzerIV »

Just so you know, I started coding before I posted about it on the forums, I code usually for about an hour while I'm at school - I did all the brainstorming for characters in my free time at school, and do some coding in my "free" period (It's not really "free" but the period is for doing homework and I have access to computers, I usually do all of my homework pretty quickly so i don't really need to worry)

I've spent a few hours a day on coding and am now just finishing off coding characters, (Like OMG there are so f'n many...). There aren't actually that much it just seems like that when coding them.

I hope to have the coding done in a few days but I'm expecting the images to take maybe a few weeks.

And, Halflings aren't really dwarves without heads as dwarves are far too bulky and heavily armored. I'm going to use pictures like the assassin for the halflings for now but that will change as soon as possible.

Any art people would like to submit would be appreciated.

I've just realized I have kind of strayed away from the point of this post - anyway, the coding will be done in a few days, and the substitute art should be done in a couple of weeks.
pwnzerIV

Post by pwnzerIV »

My "Urban" Elves are working well, the art should be done soon. If anyone has a Panther file that I can use or a cat file that i could edit - this would be very useful. Probably will be the only Urban Elf image that I'll be missing at the end of today.
Attachments
The Elven Street Ranger
The Elven Street Ranger
elvish-sranger.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 5406 times
pwnzerIV

Post by pwnzerIV »

My Elf Warlock
Attachments
elvish-warlock-attack1.png
elvish-warlock-attack1.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 5441 times
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

These are a little too obvious recolourings. Maybe you should use some older sprites, or some that are unused and on the wikipage so you can recolour them without making it too obvious.

( http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/GraphicLibrary )

Good luck, BTW. This looks like a very good idea.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
pwnzerIV

Post by pwnzerIV »

yes, i know they're obvious recolourings but a few of them have the structure changed slightly aswell. I'm currently just trying to get this era out as im not very good at these drawings. Anyway I'm finished one of the faction's art completely now. Time to move onto the dwarves and half-orcs.
Attachments
Another Recolouring
Another Recolouring
elvish-lranger-attack1.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 5379 times