Abilities Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Would you mind if I stole some of your weapon specials for my MP-scenario "Defense of the Goblin"?
Thanks in advance!
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see this until just now.

If you're still around, then, yes, by all means, take out of the era what you want. I specifically wanted to make this era to try to do what can be done with Wesnoth, but hasn't been done. The best I could hope for is that others will want to use some of it for themselves.

That said, I've finally got a comp and net connection here in China, so I can start to get back in the swing of things for this and other projects I have. I really hoped to get far enough to put it on the campaign server, but I didn't do that. Hopefully I'll do that soon.
JW

Post by JW »

Cool.

good luck.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Bump for great justice.

It's finally on the campaign server, mainly as a motivation for me to keep working. Only 4 more abilities until the level 1s are all done. I'll call that 0.2.0 if I get there.

I also put up a list of planned level 2 abilities (as best as I can decipher my notes on the subject).
traverser

Post by traverser »

Intenlional?: I played with the bandits, gained control of the opponents leader for a turn and automatically won!
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

No, that's not intentional and I'm pretty sure that wasn't happening about 5 subversions ago. Well, that's zookeeper's ability so I'll talk to him about it.

Thanks for playing and finding that.

EDIT: Found out that it was always like this. I was just always testing it out in 1v1v1 games, since there are that many factions.

I just disabled charming the leader. Easy enough fix, even for me to do. Thanks.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Bump for great update.

I don't have time to write too much at the moment, but let me just say that when I first attempted this project I had a pitiful knowledge of WML. Add that to the fact that WML wasn't even able to do some of the things that I wanted it to then, and you've got my postponing the project.

Well, I've done 3 times the work on the era in the last 2 days than I did the few months when I first attempted it. So, here's the upload. I'll try to get it on the server ASAP (I'm yet to learn about the 1.3.10 add-ons business).
JW

Post by JW »

Ken Oh wrote:Bump for great update.

I don't have time to write too much at the moment, but let me just say that when I first attempted this project I had a pitiful knowledge of WML. Add that to the fact that WML wasn't even able to do some of the things that I wanted it to then, and you've got my postponing the project.

Well, I've done 3 times the work on the era in the last 2 days than I did the few months when I first attempted it. So, here's the upload. I'll try to get it on the server ASAP (I'm yet to learn about the 1.3.10 add-ons business).
Wow, is it merely pure coincidence that my return to the forums coordinates with your great efforts to revive a much needed project?

I'm glad you have not given up on this, though I unfortunately will not have time to play it.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, pure coincidence. The deciding factor was simply me not sucking at WML anymore.

Anyway, it's up on the server. If you do find time in between living out Law and Order, you know where to find it.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

¡Hello!

I want to know if there is in an ability already or possible to modify to make this "aura" similar to leadership to work.

Support Fire An unit with support will contribute with its damage to adjacent friendly units attacking an opponent foe.

Basically a "Naga Archer Squad" unit has support aura/ability on their ranged 2-3 attack.

Also, the Archer squad plays the "ranged attack" animation as the leading animation.

I think its simple if it gives the added damage to all attacks (physical or ranged) like leadership does.

Sorry for the ramblings, and thank you for the era it looks nice tought I remember getting a crash (probably with storm)

Edit: Managed to get chaos to work.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

That's an interesting idea. If I understand you correctly, you mean to have the "leader" unit next to the unit that is attacking send a few arrows over to the target, correct? That's a pretty good idea.

It could be done in one of a few ways: the arrows could all be sent at once before the attack, one arrow could be sent for each strike made (up to the 3rd strike) or the arrows could be sent after the attack is over.

What won't work, however, is regular random in giving these arrows a chance to hit (but, Dark Forecast's random could work). And, I don't think it's possible to trigger any sort of special animation for the leader unit. If that is possible, I'd love to know for other reasons.

If you want help with the coding, post your specifics and we'll make a WML Workshop thread about it and I'll be happy to help out.

And, if you find any concrete bugs with the era, please get them to me. I'm not exactly working on the era, but I'd at least like to support it minimally.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Ken Oh wrote:That's an interesting idea. If I understand you correctly, you mean to have the "leader" unit next to the unit that is attacking send a few arrows over to the target, correct? That's a pretty good idea.
Yup, that's correct :)
It could be done in one of a few ways: the arrows could all be sent at once before the attack, one arrow could be sent for each strike made (up to the 3rd strike) or the arrows could be sent after the attack is over.
I prefer the one that looks more intuitive for the player if possible, even if its less powerful.
What won't work, however, is regular random in giving these arrows a chance to hit (but, Dark Forecast's random could work). And, I don't think it's possible to trigger any sort of special animation for the leader unit. If that is possible, I'd love to know for other reasons.
These arrows doesn't have CTH per se, the CTH is determined by the attacking unit to the defender, Leadership already shows an animation when the adjacent unit is attacking, tought when there is more than a leader near I'm not sure what of these uses the animation. (never ventured too much on wml if any)
If you want help with the coding, post your specifics and we'll make a WML Workshop thread about it and I'll be happy to help out.
Sure would want to help, I don't have any knowledge with WML, never did any change apart of unit editing or spriting. Anyway I'll put the thread after finishing exams (18 jan last one).

IMHO I wanted to give it a go again to the naga faction if only to be able to test it against rest of extended factions. (At least to see again the naga guardian I did a long time ago)
And, if you find any concrete bugs with the era, please get them to me. I'm not exactly working on the era, but I'd at least like to support it minimally.
The unique bug I encountered so far was crashing once due to storm special, but that was with the 1.13 version of wesnoth so I need to reinstall the era correctly for 1.14 and see if the error happens again.

Thank you for your time :)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Did you know that the archers level to... archers? This is basically the same as the full heal ability that Necrophages used to have. If this isn't intentional then I'd suggest changing it.

Other than that, I like the abilities, but the factions aren't balanced very well, and it is very disconcerting to see the same loyalist sprites get used for different units. But what is worse is the lack of a third level, and the inability to really keep your units alive for very long.

I think it's coming along great though, and I hope to see it completed.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
beetlenaut
Developer

Knockout bug

Post by beetlenaut »

The Knockout ability has a bug. The ability removes ZoC, then adds it back--even if the unit had no ZoC to begin with. Knocked out level 0 units gain a ZoC on their next turn. Easily fixed at least!
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Abilities Era

Post by Ken_Oh »

Hehe, which level 0 unit did you knock out? This era doesn't have any. :P

I guess you either lifted the ability for another era or combined the era with another.

OK, I'll fix it mainly because I want to use the ability in another project. I think it wouldn't be too much to ask myself to get the era updated just to leave with 1.4.x.