Elemental Faction?

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Jester wrote:Uhm, JW if you want the Braziers to be able to move on lava realize that other units can not reach them there...
You could say similar about the Default era and things flying into the middle of chasm/lava and becoming unreachable to non-flying units. Given that, I'd say that if such is allowed to happen on an MP map, it can be considered bad map design, rather than bad faction design.
JW

Post by JW »

I'm going to add "Foresthome" and "Waterhome" to the Vine Beast and Tidal respectively. This will give the units +2 Regen on forest or shallow/deep water respectively. I upped the cost of the Tidal to compensate.

I'd like to add a minor ability like that to the other Elementals as well, to give them more personality, but I don't know what or where they would apply. I can't think of how, for example, the Wind Herder would have an ability like that, as he's an air elemental, and air is everywhere......lol, maybe just give him +2 Regen everywhere? XD

Seriously though, I'd like to get unique abilities for them all, if possible.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

give the water elemental submerge, give the forest one (sorry, I forget exact names) ambush, give the brazier golem ambush in lava (as useless as it is. Basically give all the elementals ambush in a respective terrain.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

JW wrote:I'm going to add "Foresthome" and "Waterhome" to the Vine Beast and Tidal respectively. This will give the units +2 Regen on forest or shallow/deep water respectively. I upped the cost of the Tidal to compensate.

I'd like to add a minor ability like that to the other Elementals as well, to give them more personality, but I don't know what or where they would apply. I can't think of how, for example, the Wind Herder would have an ability like that, as he's an air elemental, and air is everywhere......lol, maybe just give him +2 Regen everywhere? XD

Seriously though, I'd like to get unique abilities for them all, if possible.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Maybe the Wind Herder could have regeneration in mountains, since mountains reach up into the air?
Kel

Post by Kel »

JW wrote:I'm going to add "Foresthome" and "Waterhome" to the Vine Beast and Tidal respectively. This will give the units +2 Regen on forest or shallow/deep water respectively. I upped the cost of the Tidal to compensate.
Er, the Foresthome regen doesn't seem to be working. Actually, the trait(?) doesn't show up at all on the recruited unit, though it does show up in the recruit-screen. And the regeneration doesn't happen, I checked.
JW

Post by JW »

3 months later and still going! 8)

I'm trying to come up with traits to give these guys to make them more variant and less predictable in their style of play. I want to give each elemental type a choice of 3 traits, of which they will get 1.

Right now I have an idea for 2 types of traits to add: Quick, and an elemental trait that would give the unit +2hp and +20% res in their elemental damage type

Fire: Brazier Creation - Fire
Water: Tidal - Cold (or Impact?)
Earth: Mystic Puppet - Impact
Wind: Magic Servant - Pierce
Life: Vine Beast, Unicorn - Holy

I can't think of a decent 3rd trait to give them that would make sense. I don't want to give them Intelligent, Strong, or Resiliant. I also don't want to give them either of the 2 new traits in 1.2.

Can anyone think of something appropriate that would add character to the units?

I'd appreciate any constructive input.

ps, I've gotten the foresthome, etc abilities working....perhaps they could be removed from default and added as traits?? I don't know...
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I had a weird idea, and thought I'd mention it:

A trait that would make the unit that received it become a berserker.

What do you think?
JW

Post by JW »

Temuchin Khan wrote:I had a weird idea, and thought I'd mention it:

A trait that would make the unit that received it become a berserker.

What do you think?
Sounds overpowered for the units that are currently in the faction. Plus, I'm not a big fan of trying to balance Berserk. 8)
JW

Post by JW »

Fire Brazier will probably lose his 6-3 Impact attack. To counter this, his Fire attack will be increased from 8-2 to 9-2. He will do the same damage to non-resistant unit, but will deal more damage to Wargs now, minus the Fire Sprite, whose resistance to Fire will be increased from 10 to 30.

---

I'm a little unsettled by the lack of a true scout in this faction. I've had the thought to convert the Vine Tiger from a fighter unit into a more scout-like unit, increasing his movement from 6 to 7, and dropping his melee attack from 5-4 to 4-4. I might also drop his ranged attack from 3-3 to 2-3, especially if I end up adding traits to these guys, which would include Quick.

I may increase the unit's hp slightly if I make this change, or perhaps drop his village defense back to 50. If I do that though then the faction will need a true village-holding unit, which they didn't really have before, and wouldn't have if I decreased the Tiger's defense again...

Also, I have considered decreasing the Tiger's resistance to Fire from -20 to -30 to make the Fire Sprite more effective against this faction. The appropriate counter to Sprites will now be the Magic Servant, who will deal 5-3 damage to the Sprite, due to it's -20% Impact resistance.

The Servant may also get a higher Fire resist, but that will come after some playtesting if at all.