Naval Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

How about having a 'canon' or a 'gunpowder' damage type ? This would make the damages more diversified.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

That would be good. I'll look into doing it, thanks a lot!
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

gunpowder as a damage type? no offense Noyga but that just sounds wrong. how about something like "artillery" or "powder-blast". Something that can symbolize actual damage. (gunpowder by itself is not damaging, unless you inhale it :P , but gunpowder on fire(powder-blast) is)
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

One last comment from me: What about "shrapnel"? It doesn't necessarily go with a cannon, but if the cannon ball explodes, then...
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Ballista (14-2), pierce-short
Unless you're intentionally using the bug/feature I pointed out, you're going to want to change that to 'melee' instead of 'short'.
This case would actually be a very interesting application for that feature though. Considering it's not exactly melee but it has to be different from artillery type attacks.

Be an interesting twist... ships can bombard melee units and not worry about retaliation, but if they attack ranged units, those units can retaliate.

While we're on the topic of stats, what did you have in the mind for resistances?
Just -20 fire?
Somehow I can't see a barrage of arrows doing much damage to a ship, while fire arrows would be devastating.
Last edited by SmokemJags on March 18th, 2006, 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

Yeah I thought I might have done that wrong, but wasn't sure with all the new WML changes from 1.1.0 :)
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

I think you might want to consider leaving it like that.
Even going so far as to change the ranges to ones totally incompatible with normal Wesnoth units.

If you're going for a dwarven submarine, I think I read that idea somewhere here... I can imagine you'd want a torpedo attack that cannot be retaliated against. 'Submerged' type attack would fit that perfectly.

'Artillery' would be a good range for the heavier ship weapons. Ships without large artillery weapons wouldn't be able to return fire at ships that have them. Think about a Battleship with 16'' guns firing at some light cruiser. The CL just doesn't have the range to fire back with it's 9'' guns.

This would also really show ships 'bombarding' normal ground units in a way that they cannot possible respond to.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

No you can name your ranges to whatever you want (and have more than two ranges)... Your only need to be consistent and use the same ranges names everywhere.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Why did that sentence start with 'no'?
Everything else fit perfectly as if it started with 'yes'.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

SmokemJags wrote:While we're on the topic of stats, what did you have in the mind for resistances?
Just -20 fire?
Somehow I can't see a barrage of arrows doing much damage to a ship, while fire arrows would be devastating.
Yeah, I know. This will be added. I was thinking of adding in some more resistances to say a blade attack i.e. if a ship is in port ground units can pretty much destroy it with its lack of this type of attack so... But as to the arrows, if you think abot it as the arrows killing the sailors, thereby reducing the ship's ability to attack,repair the ship,get away, then it works! :)

As to all the different types of attacks/attack types. I will probably do about 2-3 new ones for the ships, along the lines of the suggested one like artillery and the such. (This also brings into effect new resistances)
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

But as to the arrows, if you think abot it as the arrows killing the sailors, thereby reducing the ship's ability to attack,repair the ship,get away, then it works!
True.
As to all the different types of attacks/attack types. I will probably do about 2-3 new ones for the ships, along the lines of the suggested one like artillery and the such. (This also brings into effect new resistances)
Altering range types (melee, ranged, short, long, artillery, submerged, moonbased) doesn't affect resistances. Unless by 'new' you mean 'changed' and not 'new' as in...

holy resist: x
fire resist: x
shrapnel resist: x
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

Noyga has graciously signed on to help me regenerate this idea, as I have made better/new art for my ships. I won't repost them here, but the art thread is here.
danjel

Post by danjel »

SmokemJags wrote:--8<-snip--8<--
Levels up?

The 'ship' fully heals.
The 'ship' grows in size, gains a sail, extra guns, et cetera.

Seems very strange.
These units are definitely of the mechanical variety... Would be quite a sight to see a ship made of wood and steel 'morph' into a bigger and better ship after accumulating 'experience' like a normal man/elf/dwarf.

I really like the idea, but this weirdness nags at me.
This bothers me too.

I think a way that I would suggest to get around it would be to have the different "sizes" of ships represented as different units

So you have...

Frigate -> Veteran Frigate -> Elite Frigate

Cruiser -> Veteran Cruiser -> Elite Cruiser

Battleship -> Veteran Battleship -> Elite Battleship

---

Haha. Nevermind.

---

By the way...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_O%27War <-- this could provide some inspiration. I think they even had a dwarvish sub...
-danjel
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

Art for Loyalist Leaders. The leaders are all people, rather than ships. I did these two this morning. Opinions? (Yes I know everyone can tell where I got my art from)
Attachments
captain.png
captain.png (2.96 KiB) Viewed 4343 times
admiral.png
admiral.png (3.69 KiB) Viewed 4343 times
Jester

Post by Jester »

Why not make them look more naval-ish, I find it hard to believe that when you are a sailor (captain w/e) you would wear a heavy armor, I mean you'd sink like a rock.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.