More cave terrains

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

turin wrote::? I like the idea of more variety in cave terrains, and I like the mushroom forest graphics, but I don't quite see why they need a new terrain type when they could be aliases of others; movement of cave and defence of forest, perhaps, or movement of cave and defence of swamp...
Make a suggestion for an alias that makes sense and adds to the gameplay in caves and it will surely be implemented.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Also "illuminated" cave floor has been added. This terrain automatically is one level brighter than the surrounding terrain. This is possible thanks to a modification made by Boucman.

Notice that with a few non-cave specific terrains, caves can have quite a bit of variety and interest.
turin wrote::? I like the idea of more variety in cave terrains, and I like the mushroom forest graphics, but I don't quite see why they need a new terrain type when they could be aliases of others; movement of cave and defence of forest, perhaps, or movement of cave and defence of swamp...
I'm not entirely happy with making a new basic terrain type, but making it an alias of swamp would be pretty un-intuitive. It would also be odd if the elves got their super defense in a mushroom forest- in the caves they hate so much.
Attachments
newCave.jpg
newCave.jpg (79.47 KiB) Viewed 5823 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
halleck

Post by halleck »

i like the idea of a mushroom forest... Good work! :D
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'll keep thinking about the Mushroom Forest question...

Anyway, just wanted to say that all this work is really appreciated. I'm looking forward to finding time to revise my Sceptre of Fire maps to use these new terrains. :D

It would be even more appreciated if the cave map generator used all three of these terrains (cave hill, mushroom forest, normal cave, illuminated cave), instead of generating plain cavefloor.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

So has support for new terrain types been added? Or is this going to be added as soon as it is?
Sorry for the meaningless post
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

romnajin wrote:So has support for new terrain types been added? Or is this going to be added as soon as it is?
It's been commited. I wonder why people keep asking questions like this when they can just check the repository, or the commit mailing list: https://mail.gna.org/public/wesnoth-commits/
scott

Post by scott »

I'm having trouble believing the illuminated cave terrain works as advertised. Am I supposed to set a [time_area] for it or what? Maybe I compiled before the terrain was made to illuminate?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

It has been commited, so it will be added with the next development release (1.1.x). It has not been added to the current 1.1
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

scott wrote:I'm having trouble believing the illuminated cave terrain works as advertised. Am I supposed to set a [time_area] for it or what? Maybe I compiled before the terrain was made to illuminate?
It works as expected here.
However there seem to be issues with it in underground scenarios where there is no "higher" illumination level.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

Yes, that's a problem with the current illuminates method. I'll soon fix it so 'higher' illuminations can be used.
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."