Enemy Moves Hard To See on Gray Tiles

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:Well, the trunk now used a semi-transparent tile rather than a color shift to mark can't-move-to hexes. I exparamented with some textures, and this was my favorite. As usually finding the ballance that works in all situations is tricky. I think there's room for refinement, but that will take time.

A basic staticy noise pattern was interesting too, but tended to make the underlying features too hard to see.
Interesting - I think this is a clever solution to the problem, and I don't see any real downsides to its implementation.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I like the concept very much, but my personal reaction to this particular pattern is that it looks a lot like monitor/TV scanline static (and thus feels too modern for a mediaeval fantasy game).

Is some sort of fog effect possible, or would that be too easily confused with Shroud?

Do all shaded hexes have to have the same pattern, or can there be some variety? Given the number of hexes we're dealing with it's hard to imagine any single hex pattern not being repetitive.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

irrevenant wrote:Do all shaded hexes have to have the same pattern, or can there be some variety? Given the number of hexes we're dealing with it's hard to imagine any single hex pattern not being repetitive.
This effect currently isn't described in the terrain CFGs so i suppose it is set in the code. Howeve it may be desirable to define it like terrain, so transitions can be set up, (i'd like to put a border on it) and things like spacenoth can define new graphics.

Why do you bother trying to imagine if it's repetetive? I've given you the file needed to see for yourself.
I place little stock in a non-artists guess in this kind of situation, and not much more in an artist's guess.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Eleazar wrote:Why do you bother trying to imagine if it's repetitive? I've given you the file needed to see for yourself.
I can see that the current pattern is repetitive - that's obvious just from the screenshot. I was indicating that I cannot imagine any possible pattern that wouldn't look repetitive given Wesnoth's number of hexes. My guess is that there isn't one (hence asking if they all have to be the same), but I haven't tried all the options.

However, my main concern is still how high-tech the pattern looks. I find it grating.

You have my feedback ; if you want to make use of it, that's great. If not, that's okay too.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I've added this to trunk, but as ivanovich pointed out it it can be used to give hints about the terrain under the shroud.

I have an idea, how to fix that. don't panic in the meantime.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity