New terrain: Wastelands

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

New terrain: Wastelands

Post by freim »

Currently working on some new tiles.

Further plans are to make some more variants and a "dead/dark forest" to go with them.

Making dead trees was kind of tricky though, might take a while.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I'm loving the skeletons, and the transition with the lava is spot on. Otherwise its kinda meh. Maybe it should look more like: This

:wink:
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
aelius

Post by aelius »

The crusted over lava is spot on. Impressive, as always.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Thunderblade

Post by Thunderblade »

:shock:
WOW!

Very nice, indeed!
We're working on dark forests in the ideas forum, but they are more like misty or foggy forests... Anyway, dead woods would be very interesting... :)
Wild Elves playtesting! Come and give your comments!
The Sidhe Project
scott

Post by scott »

Reminds me of Starcraft
:)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

mmm...chocolate...
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

The crusted lava seems more defined then any of the other Wesnoth terrains. It seems to stand ut almost as much as units.

It looks quite nice just not sure I think it fit together well with the other wesnoth terrain I've seen.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

I think it's a great idea. It's especially nice how the lava glows around the edges.
My only complaint is that the texture looks as if your perspective is from right above. I compressed the texture about 50% vertically in my photoshop edit on the right:
Attachments
wasteland2.jpg
wasteland2.jpg (107.15 KiB) Viewed 8304 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
hands

Post by hands »

The gamma in your second image seems a bit muted, but I agree that the perspective should be at more of an angle.

P.S. I like the addition of the new terrain. There didn't seem to be a good transition terrain between lava to just about anything else. I like the random parts too (bones, lava peeking through).
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

This terrian would be especially helpful for use in underground maps, I think. Hopefully folks are still working on the multihex stuff, though...

The skeletons are a nice touch, but look slightly silly after you notice the little bits of lava peeking through the normal wasteland tiles.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Thumbs up on Eleazar's edit idea. We should really do this for all terrain textures.
freim

Post by freim »

Jetryl wrote:Thumbs up on Eleazar's edit idea. We should really do this for all terrain textures.
Right. I will modify them. I actually did this somewhat, but not by as much as 50%, and it apparently wasn't enough to get the desired effect.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

another trick - on the near side, draw about 3-5 pixels of visible thickness to the mat of lava, giving it height.
freim

Post by freim »

Jetryl wrote:another trick - on the near side, draw about 3-5 pixels of visible thickness to the mat of lava, giving it height.
I did. Look at the trans to the dirt tiles. I have a special trans towards grass, because the grass have height also, so they overlap a bit more in an irregular way. Towards "flat" tiles the mat of lava have more height.
freim

Post by freim »

Scaled 50% height.

This look better perspective wise and I think they fit better with the rest of the terrain in Wesnoth. I have a nagging feeling it lost some of the "look" however...

Still need some trans clean-ups.

Edit: what it probably lost was it's more defined look. Which kind of clashed with most other terrain, so it's probably a good thing :)