Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Post by Iris »

I'd probably love to practice animating the mermen once I have at least one reference animation to begin with. They'll need lots of love if we want to have 1.6 with them completely TCed.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

A standing animation so Shadow_Master can use it for reference on the unit from IftU. Finishing these two (enchantress + sylph) is my #1 priority, we we can look forward to them being in-game, soon.

I think the "blind guardian" mask really helps give this more of a mystical feel, something that was lacking in the previous sketch. For those wondering, nothing changes about the stats - it's still a faerie touch attack for the staff, however I've got an interesting idea of a new attack icon to make it look the part - in the meantime we can just use the enchantresses' icon.
Attachments
sylph.gif
sylph.gif (8.35 KiB) Viewed 5962 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Very cool. The legs don't seem very much intact, though - in the last frame when they're getting closer together, they suddenly turn slightly and make it seem as if the hip would get crunched under the dress. The wing movemet looks awesome too.
For the dark gods!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Zooming in, it looks like the legs are disjointed sticks: the points at which they're supposed to be attached keep moving. Other than that, it looks really good.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

AI wrote:Zooming in, it looks like the legs are disjointed sticks: the points at which they're supposed to be attached keep moving. Other than that, it looks really good.
:hmm: Yeah, that happens in one frame, IIRC. I'll keep honing away at it; unfortunately, I think it has to be done with subpixel shading in order to smooth things out, since the motion is one pixel wide. I'll have another version later.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Really don't know what the hell I was thinking with the previous skirt, since I'd originally intended something like this. I guess I just copied it in from the enchantress, and forgot my original intention. Etc. This should also fix the leg-motion issue.
Attachments
sylph.gif
sylph.gif (8.27 KiB) Viewed 5701 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hm... it's nice overall, but I must say I find the amount of leg movement somewhat disconcerting. This is a standing animation, right? So she's doing this constantly? If I were going to be hovering in mid-air like that, I'd probably try to conserve energy as much as possible - i.e. leave my legs hanging straight down most of the time, not do jumping jacks. It strikes me as really awkward to have them spread out like that, as if she were actually standing up (which she's not). And the legs moving like that seems excessively jumpy for a constant animation - it distracts the viewer.

Also, I don't understand why the staff rotates the way it does. Is she rotating her hand? If so, why doesn't her arm seem to change at all - it's only her staff that does so? The staff rotation, like the leg movement, seems unnecessarily distracting to me.

So, basically, awesome animation, I can't come even close to matching it, but I think there are some problems with the reasoning behind the movement (not with the movement itself).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

A very ambitious one this one is.
If you're going to keep the leg movement, it could still use a little honing - currently they are in a constant motion, and - ignoring the reasons behind the movement - they could move around a bit more relaxed. As it is, they just move to the sides and suddenly start dropping, and when they've reach their lowest point they immediatly turn to a rising motion. I understand it has to fit into the overall motion (meaning mostly the motion of the wings and the slight rag-doll effect they cause), so it's hard to make a both clear and believable motion involving the whole damn body. You might want to lower the arc of the movement by a few pixels to make it look better, or just remove a frame from where the legs fall down in order to give more time to "brake" a little before changing direction. Alternatively, turin's advice isn't too bad either, even though it would cancel a lot of (assumably) hard work.

Also, there's a piece of right thigh flashing through the tc'd skirt in one frame.
For the dark gods!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

The staff rotation certainly is weird - the top part of the staff rotates only very little and only in 1 frame, while the lower part of the staff rotates on all but 1 frame, and all this leaving together the impression of being some sort of slithering snake, not a wooden stick? It would look more logical without that supposedly rotation-like mutation on the staff imo.

I dont understand what all the details on her head are but damn they are awesome.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Jetryl wrote:A standing animation so Shadow_Master can use it for reference on the unit from IftU.
This makes me feel in debt with you. :oops: I should definitively try to animate something for mainline next.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

WIP for the enchantress attack animation + defense. Not likely to change based on any comments about the motion, because I've seen it in game and find it satisfactory (and bloody need to get this finished). Provided here to keep you in the loop.

(obviously, the cut-and-paste torso needs a bit more rotation in a few frames, but again - WIP)
enchantress-melee.gif
enchantress-melee.gif (11.93 KiB) Viewed 5393 times
Syntax_Error wrote:I dont understand what all the details on her head are but damn they are awesome.
:oops: I try. Here's an updated version, doesn't address girgisturin's* bits about the leg because it was finished before them. Still trying to decide if that's a feature or a bug; will know when I make a version with dampened motion.
sylph.gif
sylph.gif (8.26 KiB) Viewed 5397 times

* lolwut
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Still need to finish the 2 magic frames. Should be trivial, though.
Attachments
enchantress-melee.gif
enchantress-melee.gif (12.64 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Two things on Sylph:

1. Look carefully at her right hand. You should see that something is wrong.

2. Look very carefully at her face. In one frame there is something going on that I don't really understand. Is it light that is obscuring her face? Is it hair?

The animations for sylph and enchantress are awesome by the way! :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Enchantress committed.

Deserter, I don't know what you're talking about; here's my guess, though. The hand is rotating (and idling between open and closed), so you see more of the palm in one frame. The head is tilting slightly, so the highlights are shifting around. Both of those are as-intended.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Jetryl wrote:Enchantress committed.

Deserter, I don't know what you're talking about; here's my guess, though. The hand is rotating (and idling between open and closed), so you see more of the palm in one frame. The head is tilting slightly, so the highlights are shifting around. Both of those are as-intended.
Mostly it's the fact that the hand seems to stay up for a while and then it quite abruptly follows the body down. The movement is a bit too sudden to my taste and draws my eye too heavily. It looks like the hand is munching on something like a pacman. :lol2: (I made a subtler hand movement mockup...)

As for the face... when the highlights shift the face loses some contrast and seems bigger and lighter in general. And it is bigger and lighter, and it probably should be if the head is tilting, but the helmet doesn't seem to tilt as much. The combined effect is that there seems to be a faint, pulsing light coming from under her helmet. (No mockup of this...)

This post was only for clarification. I'm not trying to make you jump through the hoops, if you don't see the issue. :)
Attachments
mine
mine
sylph_deserter.gif (8.28 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
jetryl's
jetryl's
sylph.gif (8.27 KiB) Viewed 5038 times