Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Options, options...
Darth Fool wrote:an extra pant-leg!
Now that you mention it... :P Yeah, kinda. But I see it as more of a quiver. :)
Attachments
soulshooter_nocloak.png
soulshooter_nocloak.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
soulshooter_cloak.png
soulshooter_cloak.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Ooh...ok, I guess it could be a quiver, but here is something that makes it a little clearer...
Attachments
bone_shooter_edit.png
bone_shooter_edit.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 4621 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Image :arrow: Image :arrow: Image

The progression seems pretty clear to me, I don't think there's any need for an additional cloak or something on the Soul Shooter.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

your bone shooter makes me think of a pirate... not sure why, maybe because he wears horts and a bandana...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

turin wrote:The progression seems pretty clear to me, I don't think there's any need for an additional cloak or something on the Soul Shooter.
I agree now that I saw 'em lined up. It's better without.
Boucman wrote:your bone shooter makes me think of a pirate...
I have no idea where you got such an expression from... :roll:
Attachments
oh, and yes, that 'sword' of his IS straight from the Himalayas...
oh, and yes, that 'sword' of his IS straight from the Himalayas...
bone_pirate.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

So awesome. (referring to the above)

In other news, I've been delving on a difficult, but interesting project; I'm working on a full (in my sense of the term) set of animations for the bat. This includes full, directional movement animations, and directional defense and attack. There's a good deal of trial and error involved, and unfortunately I don't think anyone can help me - mostly because I wouldn't know what to ask. I'm only about 1/4 - 1/3 done with the level 2.

As things are, I'll be able to post a version for the blood bat (since that's the size of what the current working images are coming out to), and help could be had making a resized, shrunken version for the level-0 bat; I'd provide the recoloring, and base images in the final size.

Boucman/others should note - there is a "bug" in the current movement animation code, wherein if a unit goes through its whole animation before the actual movement finishes, it will lock on the final frame, and stay there. This is not a problem for most units with single-frame movement animations, but it is a problem for units which would want to loop their animation - this bat flaps its wings very quickly (compared to the gryphon). And this would be a problem for basically all foot, horse, and paw-movement units.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Also, here's a potentially final edit of the bone shooter, which makes his hood look more like a hood, and fixes the perspective on the bottom of his quiver.

Unless Eternal has any issues with them, this, and the most-recently-posted version of the soul shooter, are approved for animation.
Attachments
bone_shooter_edit_final.png
bone_shooter_edit_final.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Jetryl wrote:
In other news, I've been delving on a difficult, but interesting project; I'm working on a full (in my sense of the term) set of animations for the bat. This includes full, directional movement animations, and directional defense and attack. There's a good deal of trial and error involved, and unfortunately I don't think anyone can help me - mostly because I wouldn't know what to ask. I'm only about 1/4 - 1/3 done with the level 2.
This one just forces me.
If you don't post it how can you know that no one can help you?
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

wayfarer wrote:This one just forces me.
If you don't post it how can you know that no one can help you?
Because it's obvious; I'm not just making the images, I'm making the methodology for creating them, and making the specs for how the animation will come out. For example, should the unit have eight frames in it's flying animation? I don't know - the only way to find out is to try it, and see. I'm remaking and reversing a lot of my own decisions, and doing a lot of experimentation.

A situation like this, where I'm bouncing all over the map, is the worst possible situation to ask for help, because by changing the plan while work was underway, I'd be wasting a lot of someone else's time and effort. I'd rather save the "call for help" for a point when I can ask for an exact, well-defined thing, rather than a nebulous mess, and not waste good work from other people. Besides, about the only few people who would be capable of helping me on this part of the job - neo, zookeeper, and eternal - are otherwise occupied.

Also, actually posting what I have, and sufficiently explaining it, would probably consume as much time as just doing it myself.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Anyways, here's a first draft for a team-colored necrophage. I tried to make him a good deal more vile.

He is significantly on the "too large" side of things, but I was aiming to get the concept right, on the first try, rather than the size - besides I'm just out of time for the night. I can do most or all of the animation for this guy, but I would like some help fleshing out the concept on this guy (no pun intended).

For example, though the existing colors seem alright, I'm curious to see some other palettes tried out.
Attachments
necrophage.png
necrophage.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 4228 times
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

:shock: It's so vile looking. I like it. :D
The size seems alright to me, but you shouldn't count on my biggerism judgement abilities.

Here are a few colour schemes tried out.
And I have no idea why I used that jungle palette over there.
Attachments
necrophage_pick-your-color.png
necrophage_pick-your-color.png (13.24 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

On an offbeat note - I've taken on and finished one truly oddball job; something that had been bugging me, and which I should have fixed a long time ago. I've anti-aliased the bows on practically all of the elves (the notable outlier being the scout line). Especially for the standing frame, I think eliminating the jaggies was a subtle, but nice improvement - partly because everything else on the units already used light antialiasing already. I also used this as an excuse to clean up a few things that were bugging me about the marksman; namely how un-masculine the male unit looked, and the lack of the new fluffy boot-cuffs that the fighter and archer recently got.

Were it not for the fact that this was started and finished tonight, I'd have been loathe to tackle such an absurd job. It's done, though, and has been committed to trunk.

With the elves done, this should be rather trivial to apply to other units, where appropriate. Namely - the skeletal archer and the poacher line really don't need this, because their bows are homogenously dark. The orcish archer is also already sufficiently anti-aliased. The only remaining unit, in the whole game, which I can think of that could really use an application of this is the human bowman line. The orcish warlord and sovereign line are only seen in animations, and are dark enough that we don't need to care. Generally, this was only a major issue for the elves, because so many of them use bows in their standing frames.

You can see before/after examples below (old unit on the left).
Attachments
bow-antialias.png
bow-antialias.png (1.91 KiB) Viewed 3813 times
bow-antialias2.png
bow-antialias2.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eternal:
In this image:
is the tassel near his right hand attached to either his hand/weapon, or to his belt around his waist?

/me is currently animating this guy, and would like to know that.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

It's a part of his weapon.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eternal wrote:It's a part of his weapon.

Groovy, part of why I asked is that I was/am making the animations for these. Here's a full list of who's doing what:

Jetryl:
• Bone Shooter Line
• Dark Adept Line
• Necrophage Line
• Bat Line (with help from Turin)

Eternal:
• Soulless
• Deathblade

Unknown:
• Ghost Line (Jet will do this, if, as usual, no one else can be bothered to help)

I welcome help from anyone in both churning out the animations for these, and in coming up with the new, basic designs.