Dfool of many colors

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

It appears i overestemated my understanding of how this system will work.
:oops: Did the other ones look OK?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I have tweaked the definition. Basically, I removed the two whitest colors so that the bib still has a white border:
Attachments
fix.png
fix.png (23.57 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Re: HP bar at full health

Guess I'm a bit late, but I actually really liked playing when the HP bar disappeared when units were at full health. It took a couple games to get used to, but it was really easy to tell when a unit was at full health (and thus whether to move them off that village so someone else can heal). Now I have to mouseover them again :(.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

What if there was an option to switch the HP/XP bars back and forth between the current Vertical setup and a Horizontal one with the bars beneath the unit's feet?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

We would have turin say options are bad :P ?.

Ok, enough satire... I can see a HP bar fit down there, but the XP one too?, how would that look with the bigger units?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:We would have turin say options are bad :P ?.

Ok, enough satire... I can see a HP bar fit down there, but the XP one too?, how would that look with the bigger units?.
It would be an issued of covering up the left side of a unit or covering up his feet.

I think our philosophy is that gameplay options are bad,(i.e. a non-random mode) but user interface options aren't neccesarily bad (i.e. the team halos)
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Eleazar wrote:I think our philosophy is that gameplay options are bad,(i.e. a non-random mode) but user interface options aren't neccesarily bad (i.e. the team halos)
Well, that's what I always mean when I say OAB. But I don't know about others.

IMHO, making the bars thinner is the solution.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:IMHO, making the bars thinner is the solution.
To have a solution, you need a problem. IMO, thinner bars would be a problem, but I don't see one currently... :?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Hey - I've committed a new version of the dark adept graphics to trunk that makes use of the magenta coloring to give the Dark Adept a belt.

(note that that was a small thing tacked onto a complete overhaul of the Dark Adept graphics - most of the work for which came from Wayfarer).

If you could verify that I've done this correctly, I'd be much obliged, since I'm going to be continuing the process on the rest of the line - the Necromancer and Dark Sorceror will both have those blue ... mantles-or-whatever-the-heck-they-are, which I'll make the "team color".
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Hey; I decided to put some team colours on my chaos faction; but now there's a visual problem.

I decided to take advice someone (eleazar) gave in this forum and use a colour that I wouldn't really use anywhere else in the unit; so the base colour is magenta;

The colour replacing works fine in game; however a large problem (In my eyes is) that the base colour is shown in the recruiting list; Now ofcourse I could just select a few more appealing colours than magenta as base colour; however I was just wondering if anyone else find this annoying?

This gave me that weird "portraits" idea where there are 72x72 (Or a different size) face portraits to represent the unit instead of the actual unit image; like in almost any strategy game out there;

But this is to much work I think.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Hey; I decided to put some team colours on my chaos faction; but now there's a visual problem.

I decided to take advice someone (eleazar) gave in this forum and use a colour that I wouldn't really use anywhere else in the unit; so the base colour is magenta;

The colour replacing works fine in game; however a large problem (In my eyes is) that the base colour is shown in the recruiting list; Now ofcourse I could just select a few more appealing colours than magenta as base colour; however I was just wondering if anyone else find this annoying?

This gave me that weird "portraits" idea where there are 72x72 (Or a different size) face portraits to represent the unit instead of the actual unit image; like in almost any strategy game out there;

But this is to much work I think.
It should be pretty straight forward to fix this in the recruiting window so that the team colors are used there as well. I will add it to my list of things to do.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

I just got the SVN version to compile (with some serious help)
So one of the first things i check on is the "Team Colors"

Edit: problem was mine, i didn't realize the RGB tag had to be duplicated for the female half of the cfg.
Last edited by Eleazar on December 6th, 2005, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Darth Fool wrote:It should be pretty straight forward to fix this in the recruiting window so that the team colors are used there as well. I will add it to my list of things to do.
Thanks - I'm going to design around this being the case. Expect some oddly-colored human archers in the near future.
Eleazar

Re: Dfool of many colors

Post by Eleazar »

Darth Fool wrote:So, I would agree that reserving a range of colors in the code is a bad idea. However,
we can make a macro for different reserved ranges that an artist could use and then
the only addition to the unit file might be something like:

Code: Select all

{FLAG_MAGENTA}
or maybe

Code: Select all

flag_rgb={FLAG_MAGENTA}
Has this part been implemented yet?
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

In the latest trunk, daFool seems to have implemented team colors in the recruit dialogs. Nice.

Here are some upgrades to the archers - I'm going to need to chat with eleazar, hopefully tonight, about our recoloration strategy (got your pm, btw).

It will require a bunch of reworks of existing graphics, and I think we should tie this in with a bunch of other impressive things. We need a definitive strategy for all of this, though. I'll make one very soon.
Last edited by Jetrel on December 6th, 2005, 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.