New castle grapchics (?)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

yobbo wrote:I think I could do it this way if I could figure out how to do basic arithmetic with WML...

Maybe I'll just have to learn how to write gimp scripts :).
Having a gimp script for this would be great. I find it kind of inconvinient to work with this stuff also.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Okay so I learnt how to write gimp scripts.

Here are the cut up castle tiles. Keep tiles will come soon.
Attachments
castle.zip
castle concave and convex tiles
(57.23 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
castles-everywhere.jpg
castles-everywhere.jpg (60.06 KiB) Viewed 5704 times
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Keeps.

I can tone down the shadows if this was too much. Please try it in game before passing judgement, though :).

Now it's someone else's turn to do all the ruins ;).
Attachments
keeps.zip
keeeeeps
(197.35 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
tutorial
tutorial
castle-tiles.jpg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 5576 times
freim

Post by freim »

Cool

I'll test it ingame and commit later on.

Now we need a dark and "evil" castle to match :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Yobbo - thank you for being cool and doing the hard, technical stuff. I think it looks great.

I also approve of the shadow use - it gives it a real sense of depth and height for the keep.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Please wait a moment before committing.. I'm still improving the tower wall texture, wich was distorted when the angle of the tower was changed and adding some neat details. Almost done.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Hmm, think I'm getting the hang of this scripting stuff :).
Attachments
oohhh the malevolence
oohhh the malevolence
evil-castle.jpg (53.08 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

*drool* The keep windows look kinda wierd on the evil castle, aslo I think the evil castle should have a little more gothic architecture, or at the very least be more angular.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:? I thought that shadows went to the south-west, not the north-west. These shadows will look strange in-game next to all the other shadows going the other way.

Other than that, really cool. The evil castle could stand to be more gothic, but hey - we got time. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
freim

Post by freim »

turin wrote::? I thought that shadows went to the south-west, not the north-west. These shadows will look strange in-game next to all the other shadows going the other way.

Other than that, really cool. The evil castle could stand to be more gothic, but hey - we got time. ;)
Uhm, no. These shadows are correct and the same as the rest. Anything pointing to the south-west is clearly wrong and should be updated.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I think there are just too many towers, especially on the keep. Too many, if the towers are to be that big.

I'm not completely sure, but aren't there always an even number of corners on castles (or any hex-based shape)? Would it be possible to draw some towerless corners and fiddle with the terrain WML so that a tower is drawn only to every other corner? I think that would look mighty cool, and nicely reduce the amount of "noise" the zillion identical towers bring to a castle now. Terrain graphics WML (and those castle things, especially) seems much too complex for me, so I can't say how difficult that would be, compared to how the current castles are built.
freim

Post by freim »

zookeeper wrote:I think there are just too many towers, especially on the keep. Too many, if the towers are to be that big.
I would like to have fewer, but even larger towers (and larger walls). The castle should be bigger than the village imo. We should start to adjust the scale of buildings to be internally more consistent.

yobbo, I find your dark version a bit to dark. It loses contrast and gets a bit blurry.

It would also be nice with some changed shapes, not just a recoloring.

I would rather see it recolored with a hue change. Something like this:
Attachments
castle-dark.png
castle-dark.png (126.44 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
Last edited by freim on November 7th, 2005, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

zookeeper wrote:I think there are just too many towers, especially on the keep. Too many, if the towers are to be that big.
The keep towers look good, but i'm concerned that they could be too distractingly "loud". Then again, maybe i just need to get used to them.

P.S. for an evil castle-style, it may only be neccesary to change the keep.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

frame wrote:
I would like to have fewer, but even larger towers (and larger walls). The castle should be bigger than the village imo. We should start to adjust the scale of buildings to be internally more consistent.
Well, it might be better to make the villages smaller and actually have multiple houses per hex to get a consistent scale for buildings....
freim

Post by freim »

Darth Fool wrote: Well, it might be better to make the villages smaller and actually have multiple houses per hex to get a consistent scale for buildings....
Basicly, I don't want that. I think the new villages look really good, and they would look worse if smaller (less room for details). I want the new villages to be the baseline for scale among buildings.

Edit: the castles looks kind of puny anyway. Making them look more like the grand structures they are would only be a good thing imo.