Revised Cave Walls

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

These work with windows ;( ?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

What topic did I ask it in?
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Yeah but I mean, I opened the ZIP file and it had some files called "MAC thingies" and stuff :(
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Yeah but I mean, I opened the ZIP file and it had some files called "MAC thingies" and stuff :(
This is an un-Macified as i can make it.
There should be 18 .Png files in the zip. Are you saying they didn't come through, or there was just some other cryptic files you didn't know what to do with?
Attachments
cave.zip
(117.34 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

or there was just some other cryptic files you didn't know what to do with?

That one.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Just ignore them, then.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I prefer the old tiles.

The new ones:
* Look like the cave walls are shorter (I think because the walls and floor are the same colour)
* Look more "hand-drawn" (I think because there's less variation in the cave wall colours)
* Look too straight (I'm a fan of the 'hewn from solid rock' waviness of the old ones)
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

Could anybody post a screenshot with the new walls and the proposed new cave village?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Neoriceisgood wrote:
or there was just some other cryptic files you didn't know what to do with?

That one.
Yeah, those are likely the .DS_Store files (which give info about the placement of icons in a folder and what size and view the folder was placed in in the "Finder" program, which is the macintosh equivalent of "Windows Explorer."

Also, photoshop has a tendency to barf resource forks into files for custom icons, and even for other stuff if you tell it not to use custom icons - those resource forks, which are entirely unnecessary to view the image itself, are stored in the resource fork.

What happened is that apple did a little tweak, not to the Zip format, but to how it handled the format, such that whenever it ran into mac-only things, especially resource forks, it would split them into a separate file and store them as that in the zip archive - if someone tried to unarchive the files on a mac, they would get recombined - if someone tried to unarchive the files on a PC, they would be separate, and the basic part of the file itself would still be useable.

As turin said, just ignore the other stuff.
scott

Post by scott »

You're so close to it that I have to ask... could you do a version with perfectly vertical sides and square corners? Voila, walls!
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

scott wrote:You're so close to it that I have to ask... could you do a version with perfectly vertical sides and square corners? Voila, walls!
Not so much "square" necessarily, but "sharp, angular, and semi-fitting the edges of the hex grid". Please, please do, though - this would be utterly perfect for interior campaigns.

Actually, now that I think of it, it would be possible to do "square" walls, but that would be considerably more difficult that doing ones which matched the basic trend of the grid, barring the smoothing between hexes.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Revised Cave Walls

Post by irrevenant »

Eleazar wrote:It's bugged me that the cave walls were not the same color as the floor. I started out to fix the color and ended up doing more.
May I ask why you want the floor and wall colours to be the same? It removes depth from the picture. See how the walls around the units look flat in the attached example.

I would also expect an array of shading given cave lighting.

I worked out the other part of why it looked so hand-drawn to me, too: The shade you've used is that almost precisely that of graphite pencil. Maybe that could be tweaked?

P.S. Since all the units seem to be able to see in caves just fine, I took the liberty of adding some torches periodically along the walls (unfortunately they didn't jpegise well, and yes, they need work - it's just for the general impression).
Attachments
new_cave_wall_with_units.jpg
new_cave_wall_with_units.jpg (140.99 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I don't think it looks very good in either case without the units actually looking the way they do in-game.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

Jetryl wrote:
scott wrote:You're so close to it that I have to ask... could you do a version with perfectly vertical sides and square corners? Voila, walls!
Not so much "square" necessarily, but "sharp, angular, and semi-fitting the edges of the hex grid". Please, please do, though - this would be utterly perfect for interior campaigns.

Actually, now that I think of it, it would be possible to do "square" walls, but that would be considerably more difficult that doing ones which matched the basic trend of the grid, barring the smoothing between hexes.
Please make isometric rectilinear transitions. Is that what you mean? Either way it works for me. I have diamond-shaped rooms.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I don't think it looks very good in either case without the units actually looking the way they do in-game.
Fair enough. If you can make it look like in-game, that would be great. I don't know how, so I just composited it in the GIMP.

Really though, I just wanted to demonstrate how the reducing the colour variation affected the appearance of depth, and I think that can be seen okay even in the mockup...