paved roads

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Woodwizzle wrote:Generally they look good,but now the roads are enormous! Is there anyway to put them at the bottom of the stack and still keep the little stones transition?

Also it seems like the only two places where the transition doesn't look good is with the water and the swamp. =)

I'm sorry but; is there any transition that actually looks good with water?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
scott

Post by scott »

I would have the roads layer under the other terrain. Why go to the trouble of laying down cobblestone but make a complete mess of it?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

I should have emphasised that the road tiles are normally drawn underneath all other terrains except water and swamp. So they look nothing like what I posted.

In fact there isn't much change from the earlier screenshots.

I couldn't find anywhere in game that used road tiles next to water or swamp so I messed up my terrain-graphics.cfg a bit. It should look something like this attached screenshot.

Anyway... I could make nice clean edges and see how that goes.
Attachments
even-more-rocks.jpg
even-more-rocks.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 5573 times
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

I think these looks quite allright, but feel free to experiment.
dtw

Post by dtw »

I think you have done some fantastic work Yobbo :)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Woodwizzle wrote:Also it seems like the only two places where the transition doesn't look good is with the water and the swamp. =)
I like new road-water transition.
scott

Post by scott »

You could try to shrink and darken the stones in the road-water transition to make it look like there is a downhill grade.

Code: Select all

----                         <- the road height
     \                       <- the transition would be this height
      ^^^^^^^^             <- the water line
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

yobbo wrote:I couldn't find anywhere in game that used road tiles next to water or swamp so I messed up my terrain-graphics.cfg a bit.
Good work.
I usually use the map editor to try out how tiles will look in different situations. (I think it's with the game in most distributions) If you change some graphics files, you can "refresh" the graphics from the menu so you don't even have to restart anything. (Sorry i havn't listed the exact command, wesnoth isn't on this computer)
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
freim

Post by freim »

yobbo, are you still working on these?

I think the last version you posted looks good. I can commit it if you're "done".
hands

Post by hands »

Eleazar wrote: :arrow: everybody is proposing new kinds of tiles (and i have a few more ideas that i haven't even mentioned) Currently Wesnoth uses upper and lower case letters to distinguish between them, and nearly every letter is taken. What happen when we use up all 52?
A simple solution might be to create tile palettes. There could be a base tile palette that contained 52 standard tiles. All tiles could be named and the palettes would map letters to names (that's about how things seem to work now, but I really don't know). Alternative palettes could either reference the base palette for the majority of tiles and just give a diff listing or be completely separate palettes in their own right. It already seems as though there is something akin to a base "palette" though it may not be quite as modular as what I'm suggesting here. If so, it should be fairly simple to retain backwards compatibility with this approach.

However, while thinking of the editor, it would seem logical to have palettes be groups of different types of tiles (e.g. roads, cave, mountain, hills, forest, desert, water, indoor [doesn't really seem to exist much right now], misc., or whatever). Moving toward a two alpha per tile approach might lend itself to improving the editor, and if two layers are implemented, more than 52 tiles will very likely become a reality...

I'll stop rambling now. I'm sure that much of this has already been argued, but I couldn't help throw out some thoughts/ideas that seemed obvious to me.

I really like the variations on roads that have been posted. Personally, I think that the more options that are available the more artistic map designers can be. I say move to a two-letter system and keep both the old as well as the new to allow for more creativity. :)
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

I'm going to do a bit more playing around with the transitions and try to come up with something better, but the main tiles aren't going to change.

As far as I can tell the road transitions are almost never used in game, anyway. I'd consider it "done until it's updated".

Scott's idea of a sloping transition was good, but unfortunately impossible - the transition would have to go into the road hex :?. Unless perhaps I try some castle-style road transitions ;).
hands wrote:A simple solution might be to create tile palettes. There could be a base tile palette that contained 52 standard tiles. All tiles could be named and the palettes would map letters to names
This is a good idea. Unfortunately the internals of the terrain graphics system also use the terrain letters to specify how terrains relate to each other. So the issue remains.
WanderingPaladin

Post by WanderingPaladin »

The extended ASCII set for terrain?
freim

Post by freim »

Commited

Tile letters currently available:

http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~haskjold/wesnot ... tters.html

There has been talk about using two-letters for each. We will do something about it when we run out :)
WanderingPaladin

Post by WanderingPaladin »

Use of a preceeding escape character (ie ^ or ~) would allow reuse of all the other characters without redesigning existing maps
hands

Post by hands »

Please see this thread for any further discussion about moving to two-letter terrain maps.

Yobbo, I apologize if I got your thread off-topic. The work on the roads is well done.