Kitty's Merfolk: Finished

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Kitty's Merfolk: Finished

Post by kitty »

Next project on my WSAS list are a couple of merpeople, the advancements of the mermaid and the hunter and fighter lines.

First is the enchantress/siren. Trying to get a feel for the species and staying true to sleepwalker's original artwork. Only lines and flats for now:
Attachments
enchantress_siren01.png
enchantress_siren01.png (151.17 KiB) Viewed 9976 times
vonHalenbach
Translator

Re: Kitty's Merpeople

Post by vonHalenbach »

Looks good to me. Only her left eye brow goes a bit too much down and i would find those things on her shoulders a bit uncomphtable when swimming, but this is not the reality, it is just a portrait.
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Overall it's a rather pleasing design. You get the idea across that it is a merfolk even without showing the tail. I like the idea of conch shells for shoulder pads, and the seaweed bra is a fun idea as well.

I think the weakest point at the moment is the staff. It looks to be more of the same and is very uniform and straight compared to the rest of the design. I'd like to see the handle be a bit more varied in width and shape. For some reason using the shell idea in the design just doesn't seem to work for it. Maybe try having a crab holding a glowy orb of mer-power? In any case, it just seems to lack the character that the rest of the design flow has.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Great design kitty, it's nice to see that you are following what sleepwalker did for uniformity.

For the conch shells on her shoulders, the one on our left seems to be facing a bit too much towards the viewer. Given that the one on our right sits with the curves sitting around the shoulder (which makes sense), it seems a bit odd that we can see the curves on our left as well, they seem to be sticking out in front of the shoulder.

Also, the center of the conch seems to be sitting on her collar bone for our left, while on our right it is much closer to sitting on her shoulder.

I look forward to seeing more of these. :)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

vonHalenbach wrote:Looks good to me. Only her left eye brow goes a bit too much down and i would find those things on her shoulders a bit uncomphtable when swimming, but this is not the reality, it is just a portrait.
I think it seems a bit unlikely that she uses her arms and the shoulder region for swimming, since she's got a huge fish-tail for moving around.

Looking good so far.
For the dark gods!
kitty

Post by kitty »

Aww, thanks for the quick feedback people! I changed some stuff and left other tidbits as they were, aged her a tad and started to apply basic shading - that's what she looks like right now:
Attachments
enchantress_siren02.png
enchantress_siren02.png (177.63 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

kitty wrote: I changed some stuff and left other tidbits as they were, aged her a tad and started to apply basic shading - that's what she looks like right now:
I like the new shoulder, it looks militaristic and yet not overstated, which reminds us that she does do her magic in a combat environment.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Even better than before - nice :D
Looking at her chin and left cheek, though, isn't the specular be on the opposite side of her nose? It's nitpicking, but I can't seem to find anything else wrong with it. This makes me want to get back to portraiting business :|
For the dark gods!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The new shoulder armour's much nicer - still sea-inspired and made of shells, but much more armour-like. Great stuff. The only thing that strikes me is that the scales don't seem to go in a fish-like pattern. They seem to spiral round her... it would also be nice for her to have a slightly lighter front than back, as virtually all marine species do.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The one and only edit I'd propose, and it's purely a matter of taste, would be to have a little more of a spiral/corkscrew shape to the staff. Quite optional.

This looks awesome.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
kitty

Post by kitty »

Ah, I'm glad you're liking the new shoulder pad!

Girgistian: :oops: Yep, you're right, the highlight is wrong. Damn.
Thespaceinvader: Hmm, I didn't think about the scale pattern, I just drew it. Somehow it doesn't bother me much - I'll decide if i'll change it when I get back to her tomorrow with fresh eyes.
Jetrel: Haha, I know that you like gnarly staffs! :P But you are right the upper half seems too stiff - will work on that.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

That's one seriously haughty facial expression. I like it.

Will you be doing further shading on her seaweed top? Currently it lacks the subtle gloss that made sleepwalker's seaweed look like it was damp/wet - it made the texture particularly effective.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It looks odd to me that she doesn't have a navel like the L1 Initiate in her portrait; or is it completely covered by the pearls?

Disregard this if you planned to use shading in its place.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

thespaceinvader wrote:The new shoulder armour's much nicer - still sea-inspired and made of shells, but much more armour-like. Great stuff. The only thing that strikes me is that the scales don't seem to go in a fish-like pattern. They seem to spiral round her... it would also be nice for her to have a slightly lighter front than back, as virtually all marine species do.
Personally I like that look of the scales - it gives the impression of the slight optical illusion you get when things are corkscrewing both ways, which I believe happens with scales. Because of the angle I think it would appear to look like that. Just throwing in my £0.02
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
kitty

Post by kitty »

Update time! Still some details left that need polishing...
Attachments
enchantress_siren03.png
enchantress_siren03.png (241.05 KiB) Viewed 9207 times