Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by LordBob »

Just a quick reply to say that I do have portraits planned for all five horsemen, but these take time to draw and I have other projects on my hand at the moment.

Neoskel, in addition to what's already been said, you've got to consider that when a character has a lot of screen time, campaign designers tend to prefer a campaign-specific portrait over the generic portrait . As far as I'm concerned, this means that not every generic portrait will be used eventually and encourages me to use a single portrait for several levels, which leaves artists available for campaign designs and other factions. :wink:

Oh, and there will be a revision of the first three portraits. It' just that I'll complete the series beforehand :P
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Hi there,

It's been a long time since I haven't had the opportunity to do some Wesnoth stuff. I'm back in business now with a few alterations to the final horseman, which can be committed as far as I'm concerned.
I'm currently working on the Paladin.

EDIT : drat ! I knew I was forgetting something, and it was the cross-eyed comment. :annoyed: Will take care of that very soon, please do not commit yet.
Attachments
human-horseman.png
human-horseman_small.png
human-horseman_small.png (47.74 KiB) Viewed 5370 times
Last edited by LordBob on June 12th, 2009, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
melinath

Post by melinath »

It looks really good!
The horseman's eyes are a bit funky, though. The left eye is looking right; the right eye is looking up.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

melinath wrote:It looks really good!
The horseman's eyes are a bit funky, though. The left eye is looking right; the right eye is looking up.
Also, the wrinkles from the bit are going a little far up in my opinion... They seem to go all the way to his nose.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Great to have you back :D
The horse looks awesome, and even though the lighting is a bit one-sided (making it a little dark), it works really well. I'm wondering why the hook under his armpit is seems so strongly lit, though.
For the dark gods!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Girgistian wrote:Great to have you back :D
The horse looks awesome, and even though the lighting is a bit one-sided (making it a little dark), it works really well. I'm wondering why the hook under his armpit is seems so strongly lit, though.
because the light isn't falling in such a way that the arm would cast shadows where the hook is--it's coming from our right, I think.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Thrawn wrote:because the light isn't falling in such a way that the arm would cast shadows where the hook is--it's coming from our right, I think.
I'm just wondering why it isn't shadowed like the rest of the armor it's planted on. I might be wrong though.
For the dark gods!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

One reason to this : I've seen some actual armour where the hook is made in an entirely different metal ; picture-wise it's quite convenient as it makes it stand out :wink:
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Glad to have you back! I'm still in love with the horse's texture - great stuff! :)

If you have another look at his face because of the eyes, see to the skin colour, too - it seems extremely saturated to me, nearly sun-burned.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I agree about the eyes, and the left side (our left) of his face looks a bit too shadowed. It should be darker than the right side, but not *that* dark.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Till now I was playing the game wondering why all the human mounted units had these goofy cartoonish pictures while elves, dwarves, drakes and most other humans had awesome-looking finely-detailed portraits. Then I saw this thread and understood.

The Knight, Horseman and Paladin-lineart all look incredibly impressive. The Horseman portrait is exactly what I imagined the Clansmen to look like. The Knight is simply epic. Can't wait to see the Paladin when it's complete. :P
Adri42

Post by Adri42 »

The face looks strange to me. The nose does not look really human, and on the left side of the face there is an orange dot.

The three-dimensional structure of the reins around the head (of the horse, of course) is a bit unnatural, too.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Adri42 wrote:The face looks strange to me. The nose does not look really human, and on the left side of the face there is an orange dot.
Hmm? :hmm: It's looking perfectly fine to me.
I've got a nose like that and the "orage dot" is light reflecting from the helmet.

Can't wait for the paladin. :) This is Excellence.
I wish I had more time in my hands.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

I've got a nose like that
As do I. Well, mine doesn't hook down quite as much, but I have seen others as well. Not a pretty nose, but he's a warrior, not a model. Large ugly noses aren't exactly a problem.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:
I've got a nose like that
As do I. Well, mine doesn't hook down quite as much, but I have seen others as well. Not a pretty nose, but he's a warrior, not a model. Large ugly noses aren't exactly a problem.
No, but his looks broken. The way the light is drawn on it makes it look both flattened and turned to the side.

I just noticed that in addition to the eyes, the cheekbones are asymmetrical as well. The one on our right is higher up and sharper, even taking into account the perspective.