Snow mountains

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Snow mountains

Post by freim »

I've started to work on the snow mountains again, and the first batch is now commited to trunk:
3 variants of 1-tile snow mountains.

All the snow mountains will be based on the mountains, and be made to tile with the snow hills the same way mountains are made to tile with hills.

I noticed several of our snow hill transitions wasn't very good, so I've done some work on them also. They should now much more match the snow hills themselves with regard to colors, although I want to work further on them as they still aren't a good enough match.

a screenshot of the work in progress:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Snow mountains

Post by Blarumyrran »

kewl. But are you sure that the contrast isnt too high, compared to the low-contrast snowhills and normalmountains?
freim

Post by freim »

Syntax_Error wrote:kewl. But are you sure that the contrast isnt too high, compared to the low-contrast snowhills and normalmountains?
Maybe, but I want them to stand out from the snow hills as they are also quite rugged looking. It can be tweaked later on.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I'm sorry I never got around to this, but I'm sure glad to see you doing it. These look great. :)
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:D By way of encouragement:
woodmouse wrote:Hmmm I think we should need snowy mountains. I mean, I would need some in a multiplayer scenario I'm making with my friend. I tried to make some, but they looked so ugly I didn't even upload them... And I think they could be useful to others too? I mean, mainline things?
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

From a map balancing perspective, I absolutely love these.....Great, great work. :)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
freim

Post by freim »

I'm working on the first of the multihex snow mountains. I would to hear from the art devs on their opinion on the look of them. In the screenshot below the single hex ones (especially one of them are a lot more bluish than the large one atm. Do we want them all that bluish or all more dark like the larger one?

I'm partial to the darker one since it makes especially the single hex mountains to stand out better against the snow hills which makes it easier to differentiate. I also feel I overdid it a bit on the bluish hue of some of them.

freim

Post by freim »

Made some adjustments and another multihex one. Still need some more tweaking.

Edit: commited the two new variants and the tweaked single hex ones. Can tweak it more later.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Well, I know you are looking for primarily art developer critique, but I really think the darker one stands out better and provides a bit of contrast with the hills by emphasizing the sheer height solely by the fact that it can block out so much sun that an entire face of the mountain is completely dark.

Though I see that you committed it so.... :) Nice work.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
freim

Post by freim »

Turuk wrote:Well, I know you are looking for primarily art developer critique, but I really think the darker one stands out better and provides a bit of contrast with the hills by emphasizing the sheer height solely by the fact that it can block out so much sun that an entire face of the mountain is completely dark.

Though I see that you committed it so.... :) Nice work.
Feedback is always welcome.

When you make stuff like this one tend to become very focused on single parts of the image, so when you put the whole together it will usually require a lot of tweaking to make everything match up.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I wonder whether it wouldn't be better to include some actual rock in places where snow wouldn't collect - currently these, particularly the lighter ones, look rather like they're mountains made of ice, rather than covered in snow.

Which could be cool, actually - including the odd glacier among big mountain ranged would be nice...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
freim

Post by freim »

thespaceinvader wrote:I wonder whether it wouldn't be better to include some actual rock in places where snow wouldn't collect - currently these, particularly the lighter ones, look rather like they're mountains made of ice, rather than covered in snow.

Which could be cool, actually - including the odd glacier among big mountain ranged would be nice...
I'm trying to do that by changing some of the blue to grey. I think the one in the last screenshot to the far left and to the far right is what I want to aim for.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I have to say that I like those, the way you captured the snow laying in the valley looks realistic, and perhaps seeing the change to grey at points to show actual rock will help with that as well.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
freim

Post by freim »

Toned down the blue and added some brown/grey patches. Don't think I will go much further than that with the barren patches.

deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

freim wrote:Toned down the blue and added some brown/grey patches. Don't think I will go much further than that with the barren patches.
Those are coming along nicely. :)