story art

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: story art

Post by kitty »

Attachments
landscape_bridge_sun.png
kitty

Post by kitty »

Attachments
landscape_castle.png
kitty

Post by kitty »

Attachments
landscape_plain.png
kitty

Post by kitty »

Attachments
landscape_bridge.png
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

These are very, very nice. The color-choices, textures, and loose linework is just spectacular. You´re setting a hard precedent for the rest of us to follow, especially us without cameras(I really need to get a good digital camera). But I´m probably gonna give it a shot when I´m done with the portraits for tHoT. Or at least I´m gonna try to do some story-specific ones, since that more my thing than the general ones(Or even than character portraits).
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

I was wondering if these new in-game backgrounds were from your hand. Should have known, silly me :roll:

Anyway, I've considered it myself as a break from portrait work. Do we have a list of precise requirements or is that left to us artists ? I'm tempted by a refresh of the Burning Suns story art, to tell the truth. :)
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
kitty

Post by kitty »

DUHH wrote:These are very, very nice. The color-choices, textures, and loose linework is just spectacular. You´re setting a hard precedent for the rest of us to follow, especially us without cameras(I really need to get a good digital camera). But I´m probably gonna give it a shot when I´m done with the portraits for tHoT. Or at least I´m gonna try to do some story-specific ones, since that more my thing than the general ones(Or even than character portraits).
More story art for Wesnoth would be awesome - that is a department of art where we are terribly lacking atm (the only great story art we have are the pictures stefan did for two brothers, but he disappeared). Since you are already involved and well informed about tHoT - how about tackling story art for it, too? Up to now we have no campaign where all story and portrait art comes from the same contributor, I think that could become a factor that makes playing the campaign even more immersive.
LordBob wrote:Anyway, I've considered it myself as a break from portrait work. Do we have a list of precise requirements or is that left to us artists ? I'm tempted by a refresh of the Burning Suns story art, to tell the truth.
Nope. There are no requirements (apart from quality - which should be no problem for you) regarding the story art. Just get in contact with the maintainer to get to know if s/he has some special ideas, but I'd expect that they will be generally just thankfull.
Regarding UtbS zookeeper posted in this very thread: "For UtBS, one could simply have the story screens depict someone writing a chronicle (Kaleh of course; but it'd be silly to show his face there IMO), since the story screens actually are excerpts of his chronicles, as stated in the beginning. Of course it'd be nice to have a few different images of that (the first one with a little bit of writing, a second one with some complete pages lying around, a third one with even more, etc), but you could keep the same simple theme throughout the entire campaign and get away with 3-4 images without it looking cheap or like there's anything missing."
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

kitty wrote: Since you are already involved and well informed about tHoT - how about tackling story art for it, too?
That´s exactly what I´m thinking... :mrgreen:
kitty

Post by kitty »

Yay! Are you planning rather one screen as a "cover" for the whole thing or serveral story screens depicting decisive scenes?
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

kitty wrote:Yay! Are you planning rather one screen as a "cover" for the whole thing or several story screens depicting decisive scenes?
Being a comic-artist by trade, I think you can safely place your bets on the last alternative. But I don´t have any concrete plans yet. I want to do the portraits first.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

New story art (especially replacing the few bits of obviously bad story art we currently have), would be very cool.

A question for kitty before I commit these: I've attached an example of what I consider to be "good" jpeg compression (~92% quality, with the best subsampling setting of 4:4:4). Is this acceptable, or should we just stick to the PNGs you provided for us? (I ask because this will reduce the space usage by about 80%). If you don't think any sort of "lossy" compression will work, period, we can take the hit to our download size to accommodate that, but it'd be nice not to have to.
Attachments
landscape_bridge.jpg
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

reminder: we can keep the original, full quality image in the art branch of SVN
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
kitty

Post by kitty »

hmm, the jpg compressed version jetryl posted certainly looks fine to me, the original idea behind posting these was to just to make a big version available, so do as you like.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Been spending some recreational time on story art. Here is a work-in-progress of an illumination inspired after Under the Burning Suns. The final result could be used either as a part of a larger picture displaying a book (Kaleh's chronicles), or as a standalone illustration.

A specific illumination would introduce each key chapter :
- The one below setting the whole desert context
- One for the Night of the Fallen Stars
- Additional illumination depending on the campain maintainer's instructions, as I haven't completed the campaign myself and do not know which chapter(s) deserve their own illustration.

Additionnally, I can create a composition that includes both the illumination and a more realistic picture (second picture attached bellow shows a WiP of that too) - but it doubles the amount of work :hmm:
Attachments
UtBS_Enluminures.png
UtBS_Enluminures.png (219.85 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
UtBS_Night-of-the-Fallen-Stars.png
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Looks really good!
LordBob wrote:Been spending some recreational time on story art. Here is a work-in-progress of an illumination inspired after Under the Burning Suns. The final result could be used either as a part of a larger picture displaying a book (Kaleh's chronicles), or as a standalone illustration.

A specific illumination would introduce each key chapter :
- The one below setting the whole desert context
- One for the Night of the Fallen Stars
- Additional illumination depending on the campain maintainer's instructions, as I haven't completed the campaign myself and do not know which chapter(s) deserve their own illustration.
I think a minimum is about 5 images for the whole campaign:

- scenario 1
- scenarios 2, 3 and 4
- scenarios 5, 6, 7 and 8 (underground caves)
- scenario 9 (dunes, jungle, ocean coast in the distance)
- scenarios 10 and 11 (ships, glimmering water, maybe some land in the distance)

You can conveniently find the story screen texts for all scenarios in Wesnoth/data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/utils/storytxt.cfg in case you want to check them out yourself.

To make a larger set of images, almost any scenario could have a unique one. Of scenarios 2,3,4 I think 3 would most deserve a unique one, of scenarios 5,6,7,8 I think 8 would, and scenarios 10 and 11 could also have separate ones. So such an extended set could be 8 images and I somehow doubt you'd be itching to make more than that.

And of course as you said, the intro could/should very well use two images even though I didn't count that in my little calculations there.
LordBob wrote:Additionnally, I can create a composition that includes both the illumination and a more realistic picture (second picture attached bellow shows a WiP of that too) - but it doubles the amount of work :hmm:
I think just the illuminations would be fine, too, I really like the style you're using. If you'd make them be part of a larger picture displaying a book, then I think that'd be perfect and there wouldn't really be any need for the more realistic pictures then.